Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Using Avion points to book business class seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

I'm sorry if this is stupid question or in the wrong fourm but i can;t seem to find the answer. I want to book a buisness class ticket on Emarites using my Avion miles, visa states that I need to switch my points over to Cathway or BA and I will be able to book on any Oneword partner.

My problem is, I can't figure out how to book a flight on Emarites with asia miles or Ba miles.

Any help would be appreciated.

ultimately I am trying to fly YYZ to DBX(stay or 3 days or so) then to Manlia for a week and back to YYZ. I am new to this but I was thining flying Emerites to dbx then thur to manila and return from manila to Toronto on Cathway if its possible, i am thingkng I may have to do this as two one one tickets?.

I just cant figure out how to book the buisness class on emerites with the avion miles.

Thanks,
Tim
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:30 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Tim,

Welcome to FT and the EK Forum.

Emirates operate a stand-alone frequent flyer program. Details of the partner airlines can be found here. http://www.skywards.com/Partners_ata...rtner+Airlines

Your credit card loyalty points may be able to be transferred to hotel programs such as Starwood, which in turn can be redeemed for miles on EK's program, but you will need to be a member of Skywards, EK's program in order to redeem any flights.

EK is not a part of Oneworld.

Good luck...

Last edited by eightblack; Jan 5, 2012 at 5:44 pm Reason: Its AVION and not AVIOS as I thought...
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
eightblack, I think the OP is trying to redeem avion points which are credit card point from a Royal Bank of Canada credit card.

Unfortunately it can't be done.

2 alternatives:

1. You can use avion points and redeem directly in economy. This is very expensive. However, EK now offers "YUP" (economy class fares that book into business class) and perhaps avion points can be used to book these - with you paying the difference over the maximum.

2. Transfer avion points to AA and redeem on Etihad (EY) instead via AUH. You can do one way YYZ-AUH, AUH-MNL and MNL-HKG-YYZ on 3 separate tickets with AA miles.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:44 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
eightblack, I think the OP is trying to redeem avion points which are credit card point from a Royal Bank of Canada credit card.

Unfortunately it can't be done.

2 alternatives:

1. You can use avion points and redeem directly in economy. This is very expensive. However, EK now offers "YUP" (economy class fares that book into business class) and perhaps avion points can be used to book these - with you paying the difference over the maximum.

2. Transfer avion points to AA and redeem on Etihad (EY) instead via AUH.
sadiqhassan, many thanks. You learn something every day. I have edited to reflect the changes. Cheers
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies, I am not sure why i was thinking they were part of Oneworld? I guess I may just have to book in economy and upgrade. I am trying to save time ans emarite fly direct from Toronto.

Thanks
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:50 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
There is no possible way to redeem miles on Emirates however you can redeem on Etihad to Abu Dhabi (and get the free shuttle to Dubai) using AA miles.

There are a few methods however to go to DXB and MNL

1) YYZ-LHR-DXB(BA)-HKG-MNL-HKG-YYZ(CX) which can be purchased as a multi-carrier award. (Note that this option does not allow you to travel with Etihad)
Avios = 200k (+ 1024.96CAD tax)
AA = 130k (+ 682.92CAD tax)

With these options you can also stop over in other places on the way.

2) Book as separate one ways as follows:
YYZ-AUH with EY = 67.5k AA
AUH-MNL with EY (or DXB-HKG-MNL with CX) = 30k AA
MNL-YYZ with CX = 55k AA (for an extra 12.5k you can upgrade to F... DO IT it is a bargain considering how amazing CX F is)

Note that I didn't include avios point for DXB-MNL and MNL-YYZ because even with the current 50% bonus it works out less avion miles to use AA.

Taxes for this second option would be 68.23CAD

Personally I would take option 2 for the overall better connections, better products and lower taxes. It would cost you an extra 22.5k Avion points however you will also save 620CAD as well as the better routing etc.

Hope this helps ^
Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:09 pm

Wow! What an analysis. ^
Old Jan 6, 2012, 3:03 am

Avion usually offers bonuses on transfers to both BA (Avios) and AAdvantage at some point during the year.

The BA bonus just ended last month, but no sign of an AAdvantage one since Xmas 2010. With AA now in Chapter 11, I'd expect to see some sort of 25-50% transfer bonus within the next couple months if you are willing to wait.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Avion usually offers bonuses on transfers to both BA (Avios) and AAdvantage at some point during the year.

The BA bonus just ended last month, but no sign of an AAdvantage one since Xmas 2010. With AA now in Chapter 11, I'd expect to see some sort of 25-50% transfer bonus within the next couple months if you are willing to wait.
I believe AA had one ending November 15th or 30th of 2011 IIRC.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks alot, theres some great info here for me to get going with ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.