Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD in F

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
So 2 x A Class seats became available on the 4th Jan. Called up to make the change and pay the 250EUR fee only to be told that the fare would be subject to recalculation. They wanted almost 3000EUR to make the change. Apparently this is standard EK process when making a change before travel has commenced.

I 'debated' this for over an hour with the agent and his supervisor as nowhere in the fare rules does it mention that any change is subject to 250EUR fee and fare re-calculation. I was continually told that this was a special online fare. I told them that as the website does not have the functuality to make a change to an existing booking then I had to make the change over the phone. Furthermore, as the Promotion is still being sold on the website and I was making a date change to the same routing and in the same booking class, why would a recalculation be needed?? Apparently after I flew the outbound then they would change the return for 250EUR and not recalculate the fare. I stuck to my guns as I believed that the website did not highlight this supposed policy and asked the supervisor to look at the website for herself.

The supervisor called me back after 2 hours and finally said she would change the booking as I requested for 250EUR as a gesture of goodwill. Grateful though I am for the change, I refuse to believe that this constituted goodwill. Their fare rules are not made clear, especially something as potentially significant as a fare re-calculation.

Was I in the right or have I had a bit of a result?
Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by surryson
So 2 x A Class seats became available on the 4th Jan. Called up to make the change and pay the 250EUR fee only to be told that the fare would be subject to recalculation. They wanted almost 3000EUR to make the change. Apparently this is standard EK process when making a change before travel has commenced.

I 'debated' this for over an hour with the agent and his supervisor as nowhere in the fare rules does it mention that any change is subject to 250EUR fee and fare re-calculation. I was continually told that this was a special online fare. I told them that as the website does not have the functuality to make a change to an existing booking then I had to make the change over the phone. Furthermore, as the Promotion is still being sold on the website and I was making a date change to the same routing and in the same booking class, why would a recalculation be needed?? Apparently after I flew the outbound then they would change the return for 250EUR and not recalculate the fare. I stuck to my guns as I believed that the website did not highlight this supposed policy and asked the supervisor to look at the website for herself.

The supervisor called me back after 2 hours and finally said she would change the booking as I requested for 250EUR as a gesture of goodwill. Grateful though I am for the change, I refuse to believe that this constituted goodwill. Their fare rules are not made clear, especially something as potentially significant as a fare re-calculation.

Was I in the right or have I had a bit of a result?
They are perfectly correct

When making a change prior to departure then it is indeed subject to recalculation. If the fare is now higher, then you need to pay the higher fare

Once travel has commenced, then you are fine

From EK's fare rules

Originally Posted by expert flyer

GENERAL RULE - APPLY UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
CHANGES -
BEFORE DEPARTURE----
IN THE EVENT OF VOLUNTARY CHANGES TO ANY FLIGHT
THE FARES AND CHARGES FOR THE PASSENGER JOURNEY
SHALL BE RECALCULATED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE FARES
AND CHARGES IN EFFECT ON THE DATE ON WHICH THE
CHANGE IS MADE AND IS REFLECTED ON THE TICKET.
-THE CHANGE FEE APPLIES PER TRANSACTION
That they did it , was definitely a very goodwill action

Dave
Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
They are perfectly correct

When making a change prior to departure then it is indeed subject to recalculation. If the fare is now higher, then you need to pay the higher fare

Once travel has commenced, then you are fine

Dave
Interesting Dave - it would therefore appear that I have been fortunate.

That said, the Promo is still available for the same route, inclusive of the dates I am travelling. The same booking class was available too - I meet all the original fare criteria.

As the fare is an internet special, the call centre said that they couldn't quote the fare and it wasn't able to be sold over the phone. Hypothetically, if the 'internet' requoted my booking, surely it would be the same fare as I originally paid (as the promo is still for sale). Doesn't that then mean that if you book an internet special fare, you will incurr a whopping change fee, by virtue of the fact that the call centre are unable to re-quote it?
Old Nov 24, 2011, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by surryson
Interesting Dave - it would therefore appear that I have been fortunate.

That said, the Promo is still available for the same route, inclusive of the dates I am travelling. The same booking class was available too - I meet all the original fare criteria.

As the fare is an internet special, the call centre said that they couldn't quote the fare and it wasn't able to be sold over the phone. Hypothetically, if the 'internet' requoted my booking, surely it would be the same fare as I originally paid (as the promo is still for sale). Doesn't that then mean that if you book an internet special fare, you will incurr a whopping change fee, by virtue of the fact that the call centre are unable to re-quote it?
Did you actually attempt to book it online to see what was quoted for your dates?

Dave
Old Nov 24, 2011, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Did you actually attempt to book it online to see what was quoted for your dates?

Dave
I have tried to do that but when I go through the Companion Promo page, it comes back with an error response - won't give me any flight options in either J or F, from any German dep apt between now and March (end of promo).

The terms and conditions section of the Promo page makes no mention of fare recalculations

I subsequently received an email from the German office during the call (never realised until I hung up the phone)

Dear Surryson
at the moment we can offer you seats on EK413/EK49 on 4th Jan. A rebooking fee of EUR250 per ticket applies.

Please advise soonest if you want to change as the system is used worldwide and we can only confirm seats definitely when we get the order to change.

Kind rgds

EK
No mention here of the fare recalculation. I'm puzzled.

Last edited by surryson; Nov 24, 2011 at 1:26 pm
Old Nov 24, 2011, 2:31 pm

Don't be puzzled; it is one of the general rules; change before departure => complete repricing

If the companion rate offer is not available then you would have to pay for 2 people ; this is normal practice; rather than complain, I would just grab their generous offer and take it now

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Nov 24, 2011 at 2:37 pm
Old Nov 24, 2011, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Don't be puzzled; it is one of the general rules; change before departure => complete repricing

If the companion rate offer is not available then you would have to pay for 2 people ; this is normal practice; rather than complain, I would just grab their generous offer and take it now

Dave
Don't worry Dave - I grabbed it!

Last edited by surryson; Nov 24, 2011 at 2:56 pm
Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Going by this discussion, it would sound as though I can change a flight as long as same booking class is available after flying outbound?

So if I want to use an existing CMB - MLE, they want to reprice the fare if I change dates before departure. But if I fly CMB-MLE, on the return can I fly MLE-DXB-CMB?
Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by ung1
Going by this discussion, it would sound as though I can change a flight as long as same booking class is available after flying outbound?

So if I want to use an existing CMB - MLE, they want to reprice the fare if I change dates before departure. But if I fly CMB-MLE, on the return can I fly MLE-DXB-CMB?
That is the general rule, indeed; after departure, you can make changes in accordance with the fare rules without a reprice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.