Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD in F

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2011, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by number_6
Looks like EK extends greater benefits for some tickets or pax I just checked my booking, and it is 60 km radius, not 40km driven distance; had no idea EK was doing more for me than spec. Wonder what else is unofficially offered?

As for Gold status, it is close to worthless if you are flying J or F (or am I missing the benefits, being new to Skywards). Really needs a 3rd tier, fwiw, esp. as Gold is reached after 1 trip
I havent seen the distance specified in bookings; where are you seeing this? Melbourne is 60K driven and Sydney def 40Km in my experience; London is still decent at 70 miles radius ( though not as good as the unlimited UK that it used to be )

Gold is not worthless if flying in business class; two of the 4 times I have been in business class on EK I have received an upgrade to 1st thanks to the status
Old Nov 12, 2011, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
No A Class available on the direct SYD-DXB but will keep my eyes open in case 2 seats should come up
Old Nov 12, 2011, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Another question.

Anything different between 1ef & 2ef on the 777-300er?

And on the 380, any advantages in choosing between 1ef, 2ef, 3ef or 4ef?

What are peoples preferences?
Old Nov 13, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Gold, QR Silver, HH Diamond
Interesting thread. Since the OP's interest was borne of comparative experience here is my $0.02, as someone who has used both BA F (incl NF) and EK F and by the way, likes both.

EK F has showbiz appeal and the 380 showers are a unique experience. The service delivery is young, enthusiastic, smiley and rather vacant/disengaged. Service consistent. Food excellent incl. caviar and dine on demand. Wines on a par with BA F. The styling of the EK suites is either "nauseatingly hideous" or "OMG wow" depending on whether plastic gold and a free basket of Pringles make you feel special or not. For some reason EK F suite on the 777 feel a bit less garish and better screwed-together than on the A380 even tho they're the same product (minus the showers).

BA NF styling is modernist/discrete and you will either love the the clean lines and minimalism or it will completely bypass you. Service delivery is informal, attentive and chatty and sort of posh without standing on ceremony (but also can be inconsistent and very much depends on individual crew). Food always delivered the goods for me, dine on demand, and wines on a par with EK.

To my mind BA F delivers more of a sense of depth and general well-being but I suspect this is a matter of personal taste and as I say I appreciate both products. Since this sounds like your first time in EK F it would be great to get your views afterwards.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrSoft
Interesting thread. Since the OP's interest was borne of comparative experience here is my $0.02, as someone who has used both BA F (incl NF) and EK F and by the way, likes both.

EK F has showbiz appeal and the 380 showers are a unique experience. The service delivery is young, enthusiastic, smiley and rather vacant/disengaged. Service consistent. Food excellent incl. caviar and dine on demand. Wines on a par with BA F. The styling of the EK suites is either "nauseatingly hideous" or "OMG wow" depending on whether plastic gold and a free basket of Pringles make you feel special or not. For some reason EK F suite on the 777 feel a bit less garish and better screwed-together than on the A380 even tho they're the same product (minus the showers).

BA NF styling is modernist/discrete and you will either love the the clean lines and minimalism or it will completely bypass you. Service delivery is informal, attentive and chatty and sort of posh without standing on ceremony (but also can be inconsistent and very much depends on individual crew). Food always delivered the goods for me, dine on demand, and wines on a par with EK.

To my mind BA F delivers more of a sense of depth and general well-being but I suspect this is a matter of personal taste and as I say I appreciate both products. Since this sounds like your first time in EK F it would be great to get your views afterwards.
Thanks MrSoft - a good post

I like the new BA F seat but I guess I just get frustrated with the inconsistant service, especially as I know what is possible from BA.

It's possible that I may not like the service style on EK. It's also possible I may get them on an off day. It's the intrigue and curiosity of trying something else that has made me decide to change for this trip. I like being addressed by name, I like my wine glass topped up when required and I like to have my needs anticipated. This is what I am hoping for from this trip.

It's my very first time on EK and the fact that it's in F for a mixture of long and short sectors should give me a decent insight into 'what else is out there'.

I will definitely post up my experience afterwards.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Frustrating day. Spent over an hour on the phone to EK trying to change my return date and flights.

Basically, I want to fly on EK413 SYD-DXB on either the 4th, 5th or 6th of JAN and then onwards on EK49 to MUC or EK59 to HAM. I have a booking on EK419 from SYD but the flight stops in BKK before continuing to DXB.

1st agent I spoke to in the UAE said that there was availability in A class but she was unable to book it as the ticket wasnt sold in UAE. After multiple holding, she waitlisted me for the EK413 on 6th and told me to try to speak with EK in Germany or UK.

I got through to someone in the UK later and they said there was definitely no availability and additionally canx my waitlist.

Once I realised this, I called back to ask for the waitlist to be re-instated, to be told that EK dont waitlist for any flight.

A final call to check avail for the 4th (I had only previously discussed the 5th & 6th) resulted in me being told that there was only 1 seat in A class available. No good for me as I need 2.

Is anyone able to tell me if there is 2 x A Class available SYD-MUC EK413/EK49 on 4th, 5th, 6th Jan (or around that period)?

Or even SYD-HAM EK413/EK59 for the same period??

Thanks in advance

Last edited by surryson; Nov 22, 2011 at 11:28 am
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:21 pm

both 4th and 6th seem to have availability in A class to DXB on EK413

The 5th has availbility on EK49 at 9:10 to MUC however the 7th does not and would need to take afternoon flight onwards or stopover

If you are happy to go on 4th , then should be ok; just phone the Australia office, I have never had any issues with them ( unlike UK )

Another option , on any of the 4th, 5th or 6th is to take the non stop EK415 and then connect onto EK51; depart Sydney 1st thing in morning ( 06:05) and arrive into Munich at 20:10

EK415 is a 777, but the suites on 777 are the same and, ime, the morning flight tends to be less busy and with only 8 seats find more attentive service
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
both 4th and 6th seem to have availability in A class to DXB on EK413

The 5th has availbility on EK49 at 9:10 to MUC however the 7th does not and would need to take afternoon flight onwards or stopover

If you are happy to go on 4th , then should be ok; just phone the Australia office, I have never had any issues with them ( unlike UK )

Another option , on any of the 4th, 5th or 6th is to take the non stop EK415 and then connect onto EK51; depart Sydney 1st thing in morning ( 06:05) and arrive into Munich at 20:10

EK415 is a 777, but the suites on 777 are the same and, ime, the morning flight tends to be less busy and with only 8 seats find more attentive service
Dave - I've just signed up to KVS. Is this what you are using to check availability??

Is KVS accurate?
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by surryson
Dave - I've just signed up to KVS. Is this what you are using to check availability??
I am using Expert Flyer and have always found it accurate for Emirates bookings

Try phoning EK in AU in 2 hours on +61 1300 303 777 and see whether they can assist or can try the Auckland office on +64 9 968 2208 in 20 mins when they open at 9am

Dave
Old Nov 22, 2011, 1:06 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

I've just signed up to KVS
Welcome to the KVS Tool!
Old Nov 22, 2011, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

No joy with the AU office.

Another different answer this time. Apparently the 413/49 is only available in A class for new bookings, not for a change to an existing.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA, TK, EK

Another different answer this time. Apparently the 413/49 is only available in A class for new bookings, not for a change to an existing.
I'd heard of restricting inventory by country of sale... but not this. Would be very interested to know if anyone else has experienced similar.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 3:32 pm

Programs: SQ SPPS, EK I/O, CX DM, SU Plat, Hyatt DM, IC RA Plat, HH DM, AMX Cent

Hi,

Are u by any chance on the promotional F Companion Fare ex Germany???

If yes then you are booked in A Class but you will not be rebooked in A Class on this promotional fare during SPECIAL HIGH SEASON period which happens to be the dates that you are looking at because your fare is further discounted A Class Fare with restrictions. If you check for the same flights after 10th Jan then you will see its suddenly open sesame

Safe Flying

EGT
Old Nov 22, 2011, 3:45 pm

I just popped upstairs to the EK office here and checked and found that 4th only has 1 'A' class seat on 413 and that the 5th is just plain ugly

The morning flight on the 4th is wide open but on the 5th is sold out

Dave
Old Nov 22, 2011, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Dave - thanks once again.

ELITEGOLDTRAVELLER - Yes, I am on this fare. I didn't see any mention of this in the fare rules. AFAIK I can rebook into A class for a fee of 250EUR per person. EK confirmed this today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.