Busy busy day at DXB

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2011, 6:18 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Busy busy day at DXB

As I arrived at T3 in DXB yesterday morning I witnessed something I have never seen before. T3 running at almost full capacity. It all started on the road with queues of cars entering the terminal drop-off area.

I was in Y but being Gold entered the premium area and proceeded to the J desks. Now as many of you who have used this area will know the F desks come first. I though people were feeling rich this weekend and that the desks were busy, the busiest I've seen anyway but not so bad. I proceeded to the J desks and it was absolute mayhem, like LHR last xmas during the snowstorm. All the desks were manned and there were no less 350-400 passengers waiting and waiving arms. Whilst I queued up and waited my turn I observed fellow passengers and came to the conclusion that there are definitely more Gold pax in these Qs then there are actual J passengers. In addition, with it being the Eid holidays most Gold cardholders were now no longer travelling alone but rather with the spouses and children which added to the mayhem. At this point I must confess I was to blame as well with my +1. I could only imagine what the regular check-in desks were like.

My flight was overbooked by 19 in Y and 2 in J and -8 in F......I had my sights on that J seat but to no avail, it was not to be today. The upgrade gods did not smile down on me.

As I proceeded airside and into the lounge, I noticed not a single member of staff was smiling, not even a smirk. I mean it was busy but no more than an average day in T3.

I was on 342 to KUL. Flight delayed 30 mins, not so bad I thought, perhaps another latte (too early in the morning for a moet). We eventually board and then further delay, the A380 to our left takes our pushback tug. We eventually take off and for 7 hours everything that could go wrong on this flight did go wrong; service was horrendous.

Now I am not usually one to complain and I will not be writing to EK CASA about this nor blame anyone. These things do happen every now and then and you just deal with it. Where I was disappointed was the fact that I was travelling with my mother, first time in 9 years, and I wanted to somehow show her how me being on a plane every few weeks paid off.....this time it didn't. Massive Qs at check-in (she actually went and sat down while I queued), egate didn't work, can't guest her into the lounge as in Y and finally no op-up and no SFS welcome.

It all paid off however when we checked in to our hotel were status and guaranteed room upgrades really pay off.....

Last edited by Zol; Nov 6, 2011 at 1:56 am
Old Nov 5, 2011, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by khalid26
<snip>As I proceeded airside and into the lounge, <snip>

<snip> can't guest her into the lounge as in Y and finally no op-up.<snip>
You left your mum outside and went to the lounge yourself? Shame on you
Old Nov 5, 2011, 7:09 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by ft101
Old Nov 5, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
When was this? I was at DXB at 10 am Saturday, and it was a ghost town. Most pleasant experience at this airport, ever. No one else at Silver check in. 5 seconds to get through immigration. No mayhem at duty free. 5 people in the Gate 122 lounge. And an excellent flight (albeit in Y) about which I will write elsewhere.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by ung1
When was this? I was at DXB at 10 am Saturday, and it was a ghost town. Most pleasant experience at this airport, ever. No one else at Silver check in. 5 seconds to get through immigration. No mayhem at duty free. 5 people in the Gate 122 lounge. And an excellent flight (albeit in Y) about which I will write elsewhere.
Fruday as per the date on the post.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 9:29 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ft101
Haha ofcourse not. I got her in but not due to status rather through knowing EK airport staff.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 4:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, BMI Gold, EK Skywards Gold, BA Gold, IC Hotels Platinum Ambassador
I left from T3 on Thursday and it wasn't much better. Was getting on the 10am flight to LAD and there were queues at T3 check in for First and Business! Moved fast enough and immigration and security were fine but the duty free area was bedlam. Horrible in fact, could barely move. The lounge was packed as well but thats nothing new. No op up from Business on the LAD flight though....seems not many heading to Angola for Eid!
Old Nov 16, 2011, 6:29 am

Programs: EK Skywards
Originally Posted by khalid26
My flight was overbooked by 19 in Y and 2 in J and -8 in F......I had my sights on that J seat but to no avail, it was not to be today. The upgrade gods did not smile down on me.

As I proceeded airside and into the lounge, I noticed not a single member of staff was smiling, not even a smirk. I mean it was busy but no more than an average day in T3.
I was at DXB on Friday midday for EK09 to LGW, it wasn't that bad at all, seen it much busier, but my flight was overbooked in F and J, I had had a last minute change of plan, so no chance to book my seat and they put the overbooked J pax into the emergency exit seats in Y, so I had a flight of suffrage in a middle seat way back!

And ... what is it with the lazy bad manners of the E Gate people? If you are lucky, (and, probably female) you get a bored flirtatious guy who will possibly manage to acknowledge your presence, I had to renew my e gate card, the chap in the info area, was as usual, slung way back, slouched in his chair, I half expected him to have a playstation in his hands, he wouldnt make eye contact, he was surly and abrupt, he didn't say please or thank you, so I made a point of saying it to him, in Arabic, he simply looked affronted and embarrassed that I had actually tried to converse with him!

I am never impressed with these guys, the Emiritisation of the workforce is not a bad thing in principle, but the manners and customer service of young Emirati men in particular is.
This chap was one example who had obviously been brought up with no manners at all.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 6:35 am

Programs: EK Skywards
lol, what I should have said to him was, Sit up straight, stop slouching, and where are your manners?

Passport???

Passport PLEASE?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.