EK Loads Running High In Asia Pac

Old Jul 1, 11, 8:43 am
Original Poster

EK Loads Running High In Asia Pac

It's silly season in Asia Pac. School holidays. A record high for the Aussie Dollar. And op-up nirvana for Golds/Silvers and even Blues. Or friends of Blues!

Or something like this.

I'm going to try an experiment. I'm on the 404 tonite to MEL from SIN. My normal run. Its 95% full so no op up tonite. Which is outrageous as I foolishly told my wife that I would take our 8-year old daughter to MEL to spend the next week with her cousins. There's going to be a lot of arm waving when she finds out that she's not "in the Big Seats".

But coming back on the 405 on Monday. That's another story. A little bird told me that its 40+ oversold in Y. I've even received the "upgrade your flight for A$199 email offer". Which for the first time I declined. Now we know it's driven via inventory management.

I want to see what happens.

As a data point - I'm flying back to MEL next Fri on the 404 again to pick up The Small One. And we head back to SIN on Sunday. With the same crew. Loads are up the wazoo again.

I'll let you know what happens.
Old Jul 1, 11, 9:16 am

Lucky you. There are no seats (but in Business) on either of the direct DXB - SIN flights for the foreseeable future (ie next week or two). Economy is only sold out on a couple of days, but otherwise seats are available at a somewhat reasonable price. Which means no op-up.

Someone remind me why there's no A380 on this route yet?
Old Jul 1, 11, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Flight stats from tonites EK404:

8 Golds in total on flight
16 transit pax in J from DXB
22 joining in SIN
Y is around the 295 mark
F was empty (as far as I know)

I will let you know how the stats look from MEL on Monday and whether or not they run out of J seats...
Old Jul 1, 11, 9:20 am

Also - I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm running my own little experiment. One that's going to surely end in tears. I've selected one of those bulkhead middle seats for my flight on which I most certainly will not get an upgrade. The other three seats are gone, which means someone will be crying around me. Loudly. They'll probably need my seat - which means I might end up in 47F.
Old Jul 1, 11, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ung1 View Post
Also - I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm running my own little experiment. One that's going to surely end in tears. I've selected one of those bulkhead middle seats for my flight on which I most certainly will not get an upgrade. The other three seats are gone, which means someone will be crying around me. Loudly. They'll probably need my seat - which means I might end up in 47F.
Ambassadors have diplomatic immunity

Drink heavily. Thats what I am doing right now.
Old Jul 1, 11, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by eightblack View Post
Ambassadors have diplomatic immunity

Drink heavily. Thats what I am doing right now.
It's going to have to be nujoum star to the rescue. Hopefully some (attractive) FA will take pity on me. It'll ease the pain of being in 47F.
Old Jul 1, 11, 10:32 am

I'm flying DXB-MNL on Tuesday. Flight is zeroed out in Y.

Colleague of mine (Blue) on the same flight got the offer to upgrade one-way for AED 1699.

Me (Gold) not only didn't receive the offer to upgrade for cash, but also can't burn miles to upgrade.
Old Jul 1, 11, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
Originally Posted by eightblack View Post
I've even received the "upgrade your flight for A$199 email offer". Which for the first time I declined. Now we know it's driven via inventory management.

I want to see what happens.
I always decline these offers (had one only yesterday for Europe-DXB).

On every occasion, I've ended up being op-upped at the gate. Hopefully I will also be op-upped for my upcoming flight in the near future, but no big deal.

My advice is, never pay for the upgrade in these circumstances!
Old Jul 2, 11, 6:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Budley View Post

My advice is, never pay for the upgrade in these circumstances!
I think my credit card would be twitching if I got offered an upgrade. I can imagine being very disappointed if I didn't get op-upped after I'd had the chance.

Never happened as yet though!

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jul 2, 11, 6:31 am

Programs: DL 1MM Diamond, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
I've got a flight tomorrow DXB-BKK so I'm gonna try out the Nujoum star! I'm already in C, but it would be cool to get into F for a change!! Still wonder if anyone will comment on the star....
Old Jul 2, 11, 8:19 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, OneWorld (BA) Emerald
This makes interesting reading. I have been taking the OO4 to DXB and then the 404 DXB to SIN and returning in J Class for a couple of months now, I travel every two weeks. So far I have not seen a single free seat in J at all. So much so that when I recently have the power fail on my seat the crew asked if I wanted to change with someone in Y class as they had no room (F had a couple of people in it).

Edited to add, now my status has come through, gold in 2 months, perhaps I might get an upgrade to F? I have been having some troubles with the service in J recently and I am using BA for my next flight, but EK is very attractive to me for various reasons so I go with them. It has been suggested I go F all the way but I am not going to spen out all that extra cash when a $6,000 ticket in J class should get me good service.
Old Jul 2, 11, 9:50 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by EK004 Regular View Post
This makes interesting reading. I have been taking the OO4 to DXB and then the 404 DXB to SIN and returning in J Class for a couple of months now, I travel every two weeks. So far I have not seen a single free seat in J at all. So much so that when I recently have the power fail on my seat the crew asked if I wanted to change with someone in Y class as they had no room (F had a couple of people in it).

Edited to add, now my status has come through, gold in 2 months, perhaps I might get an upgrade to F? I have been having some troubles with the service in J recently and I am using BA for my next flight, but EK is very attractive to me for various reasons so I go with them. It has been suggested I go F all the way but I am not going to spen out all that extra cash when a $6,000 ticket in J class should get me good service.
Hmmm. Did you ask about getting into F?

I think I would have said "I know I'm not a Gold, but could you maybe upgrade one of the Gold's to F, and I'll take his working seat in J". They should have at least done this, otherwise they should have put you in F. Offering you Y is not good.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jul 2, 11, 10:43 pm

First op-up of the summer last night from ACC-DXB.

I've got Y0 on my DXB-BOM flight in an hour and another Y0 on my DXB-MNL flight on Tuesday. Here's hoping for the trifecta!
Old Jul 4, 11, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Yep. Just as I thought. Saw my allocated Y seat disappear about 10am this morning (around 8-hrs prior to departure). MEL is the only station where I've seen this happen. It means the Load Controller working the flight has processed the upgrades.

Checked in at 3.30pm. Given 6D. Most excellent. Didnt pay the A$199 upgrade offer - so if you know you are on an oversold flight and hold Gold, always decline. Use the money on duty free instead!
Old Jul 4, 11, 1:26 am
Original Poster

The other data point. Young girl and her Grandfather walked into the lounge and sat down beside me. You could tell they were first time J travellers.

Struck up a conversation, they were both Blue Skywards members and were also sent the upgrade email for A$199. They took it (but she did admit that she called after 6pm (which was within the 24-hr check in period). They had 9 J seats for her to choose from. First time Grandfather had flown J-class (which I thought was just a great story). I didnt have the heart to tell the young girl that she was on the routing from hell as her final destination is Malta, so she is going MEL-SIN-CMB-LCA-MLA. She didnt know that she could have gone SIN-DXB (and avoided CMB). Her poor old Grandfather is going to look like a pretzel by the time they get to Malta!

Which means the IM system was working overtime to try and sell J upgrades...

I'll go find out how many Golds are onboard. I havent annoyed the lovely receptionist for at least 10-mins

Last edited by eightblack; Jul 4, 11 at 1:33 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: