Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did I miss an upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2013, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Continental OnePass, BA Executive Club, Tesco ;)
Did I miss an upgrade?

Was on the 302 this morning DXB-PVG in J; I connected from a flight from the UK.

Got to the lounge at the A gates and checked my seat assignment as I was previously in a window seat. It had changed to 'None' so got excited as my understanding was that this usually means an upgrade. Flight was overbooked in J and Y.

2 single travellers in the queue ahead of me got bumped to F upon boarding.

Any ideas what may have happened? I guess a seat assignment changing in the lounge doesn't mean an upgrade after all!
Old Mar 17, 2013, 4:49 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by Vitriol01
Was on the 302 this morning DXB-PVG in J; I connected from a flight from the UK.

Got to the lounge at the A gates and checked my seat assignment as I was previously in a window seat. It had changed to 'None' so got excited as my understanding was that this usually means an upgrade. Flight was overbooked in J and Y.

Any ideas what may have happened? I guess a seat assignment changing in the lounge doesn't mean an upgrade after all!
Did u get the same seat?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Continental OnePass, BA Executive Club, Tesco ;)
Yep, I did.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Vitriol01

Sometimes, when an upgrade is not required (they found a volunteer willing to take a later flight, someone's connection is late so he can't make it etc...) they get you back in the original seat. That's why its always a good idea to go to the lounge agent and ask them to print out a new BP - that can't be rescinded...
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:29 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Originally Posted by jackiedada
That's why its always a good idea to go to the lounge agent and ask them to print out a new BP - that can't be rescinded...
Never thought of that. Neat trick. Thank you.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:45 am

jackiedada legend, thanks for the info.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: EK Plat, IHG Amb Spire
I have a feeling the seat changes to 'None' when you change your seat at the check-in counter. It happened to me last week. I checked MMB and it showed my seat as 'None' as soon as I changed my seat to an Exit seat. Elated, I went to the lounge agent and she was bewildered and said my seat hadn't changed. Sure enough, it hadn't

I will be flying tomorrow morning (in about 9 hours) and checked in this evening at the counter to secure an Exit seat. Obviously, I asked the check-in agent to change my seat to the Exit seat, which was done. To test out my theory, I checked MMB and it now shows my seat as 'None'. I know that my flight is wide open and not oversold. So, I am not expecting an upgrade.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RedDxb
I have a feeling the seat changes to 'None' when you change your seat at the check-in counter. It happened to me last week. I checked MMB and it showed my seat as 'None' as soon as I changed my seat to an Exit seat. Elated, I went to the lounge agent and she was bewildered and said my seat hadn't changed. Sure enough, it hadn't

I will be flying tomorrow morning (in about 9 hours) and checked in this evening at the counter to secure an Exit seat. Obviously, I asked the check-in agent to change my seat to the Exit seat, which was done. To test out my theory, I checked MMB and it now shows my seat as 'None'. I know that my flight is wide open and not oversold. So, I am not expecting an upgrade.
That may be possible. 'None' in all probability indicates a seat change and unless you have changed it yourself, the only other plausible reason why your seat changed after you checked in would be that you were upgraded. I've never looked at my seat in MMB after changing it check-in (whenever I've managed to change it to empty 4 seaters at the back on empty flights) but will cross check next time. Let us know of your experience RedDxb.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: EK Plat, IHG Amb Spire
Originally Posted by jackiedada
That may be possible. 'None' in all probability indicates a seat change and unless you have changed it yourself, the only other plausible reason why your seat changed after you checked in would be that you were upgraded. I've never looked at my seat in MMB after changing it check-in (whenever I've managed to change it to empty 4 seaters at the back on empty flights) but will cross check next time. Let us know of your experience RedDxb.
Yup, no upgrade. I guess you are right - 'None' means seat changed either at your request at check in or seat changed because you've been upgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.