Wiki Posts
Search

Options Voucher - Skip Segment

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2011, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Question Options Voucher - Skip Segment

Hello Everyone

This is my first post and I have a question.

I have an options voucher on the following sector
GRU-DXB-HKG-DXB-GRU

I know that the re-routing is not allowed and I don't want to go to HKG. So assuming I get a ticket for the whole trip issued, will it still be valid if I skip the DXB-HKG-DXB trip without telling the airline? I just want to fly GRU-DXB-GRU.

Has anyone done this before?

Thanks a lot in advance!! @:-)
Old Feb 7, 2011, 1:38 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Welcome to FT and to the EK Forum

A word of advice. You might want to remove your email address from your profile under your handle. Despite the many, many great people on FlyerTalk, there are also a few whose motives aren't so pure. And unless you want be bombarded by every spammer on the web, you might want to do this sooner rather than later.

I've never heard of an "options voucher". Normally though, if you don't complete your booked itinerary, the airline will cancel the rest of your ticket. The specific fare conditions will determine whether or not the remainder of the ticket has any value.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:21 pm

Is this a voucher you received as some form of compensation? If it is then I believe you may have to complete the whole journey. however you may be able to call up and ask if they can just allow you to go to DXB as this will work out cheaper for the airline anyway.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by eightblack

I've never heard of an "options voucher". Normally though, if you don't complete your booked itinerary, the airline will cancel the rest of your ticket. The specific fare conditions will determine whether or not the remainder of the ticket has any value.
Eightblack, an options voucher is compensation in the form of a free ticket given for voluntary/ involuntary bumping off a flight. Most Golds and Silvers will be unfamiliar with this because the airline targets non-Skywards members before asking premium customers.

Essentially the coupon entitles you to a return ticket in the same cabin on the same route you were meant to fly, valid for one year. The sad part is it must be used on the same route, and can't be changed to a different destination within the zone. The great thing is you still get tier miles, so given the choice I would probably accept one of these.

Though I did once, and I wasn't very wise then, and let myself get pushed around a bit, which I shouldn't have.

To the OP: Original fare rules would apply for stop overs etc. If you're trying to build up status, I'd suggest flying to HKG for a nice meal, but spending most of your time in DXB as you want to. Ok, probably not such an exciting Mileage Run since it's in Y
Old Feb 8, 2011, 3:39 am

Does an option voucher come in addition to a later flight that you have chosen to take at EK's request?
Old Feb 8, 2011, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by yanny baba
Does an option voucher come in addition to a later flight that you have chosen to take at EK's request?
Yes - they put you on a later flight and provide meals/ transport/ hotels in the mean time, while the voucher is for future travel.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 3:51 am

Thats probably why i've never heard of them before. I imagine they're a bit like hens teeth!
Old Feb 8, 2011, 4:26 am

Thats probably why i've never heard of them before. I imagine they're a bit like hens teeth!
It isn't often that flights are so full that there aren't enough seats after upgrades and no-shows. The one time I experienced this, the flight had 23 no shows, but they were oversold by 26, so had to VDB 3 pax.

The airport manager was quite discreet while requesting passengers. And it depended on connections and loads on those connections as well, so you're more likely to be asked if flying to DXB. In fact, while initially they had asked more pax to VDB, they eventually told all of us we could board the flight. So they control this very tightly. They must have had a last minute show, because they did eventually need to get three people off.

When this happened with me, the situation was handled poorly, and SIN is not the most exciting place to get a free ticket to, so I don't know if I would go through it again.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 4:45 am

Thanks for the f/b.

I'm generally LHR/LGW-DXB, so an option voucher would definately be useful to me without being too much of an issue due to frequency of alternatives.

Another factor to add into my pre-flight booking strategy!
Old Feb 8, 2011, 8:24 am

Thanks for the f/b.

I'm generally LHR/LGW-DXB, so an option voucher would definately be useful to me without being too much of an issue due to frequency of alternatives.

Another factor to add into my pre-flight booking strategy!
I don't know if they would offer it if the next flight was within a few hours. In my case it was a 10 hr wait, hence the crappy hotel room. Also the fact that I was ticketed ex DXB so they didn't just say go home.

As a counter example, though with QR, they cancelled a DOH - DXB flight giving no reason and no compensation despite being on a full F ticket. Next flight was 2-3 hrs later.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 3:43 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ung1
The great thing is you still get tier miles, so given the choice I would probably accept one of these.
Are you sure you get the tier? A friend of mine experienced this on a PER-DXB flight and he was told specifically he would earn no miles (and he didn't) on the flight and that it is treated like a reward.

As for the OP's question, I had a similar experience on a revenue ticket LHR-DXB-BOM and when asked EK if I could skip the DXB-BOM legs after I had landed in DXB they said I could and they would just re-route the ticket but I would get no refund.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by khalid26
Are you sure you get the tier? A friend of mine experienced this on a PER-DXB flight and he was told specifically he would earn no miles (and he didn't) on the flight and that it is treated like a reward.
Yes, because I got tier and redeemable miles when I used my voucher. I vaguely recall someone telling me I wouldn't get miles, and was actually quite surprised I did. Maybe I got lucky.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 7:50 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
It isn't often that flights are so full that there aren't enough seats after upgrades and no-shows. The one time I experienced this, the flight had 23 no shows, but they were oversold by 26, so had to VDB 3 pax.
So supposing your flight was from say JFK - DXB - SIN - DXB - JFK. And if you VDB on the JFK - DXB, they still issue you a full return ticket?

As you said they target non skywards, how did you manage to get selected then?

I'm guessing if you check in early they won't target you?

SIN is not the most exciting place to get a free ticket to, so I don't know if I would go through it again.
According to CNNGo, SIN is rated #2!
Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by lsed
So supposing your flight was from say JFK - DXB - SIN - DXB - JFK. And if you VDB on the JFK - DXB, they still issue you a full return ticket?

As you said they target non skywards, how did you manage to get selected then?

I'm guessing if you check in early they won't target you?
I'm not sure, but I suspect that's the case. I was on a DXB-SIN-DXB. They gave me a return ticket despite my VDBing on one leg only. So I suspect it's for an equivalent itinerary.

When this happened, I was Skywards, but had just started flying regularly with EK, so no status.

I think it depends on at what point they know they need to deny boarding to people. And then target single travelers, preferably flying only one leg. I remember there being a couple of girls complaining they'd come in from Australia and were flying on to BHX. They eventually didn't get VDBed.

But another guy was connecting to somewhere else and did get VDBed. I think it depends also on where you're connecting to. I was at check in a good 90-120 minutes before - the duty manager asked me to come back after an hour when I expressed interest in his offer. So I didn't turn up last minute. And I would have done the OLCI. Oh and I had a bulkhead aisle seat selected online.

According to CNNGo, SIN is rated #2!
Haha, SIN isn't interesting because I fly between DXB and SIN all the time anyway. There's nothing exciting about it. It's somewhere I'd pay to fly anyway. I personally wouldn't rank Singaporeans as the second coolest nationality though. Your link is strange, because it's the Tokyo page. Maybe Japanese find the people here fascinating.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

Thanks to all of you for the answers. Thanks to Eightblack for the email tip, I somehow just didn't notice.

Now let me clarify a few points:

1. Options voucher can be offered to anyone irrespective of membership status but as a rule generally it is offered to non members first. I was a gold when it was offered to me.

2. It is offered as a compensation if you get bumped off a flight. You might or might not get reward points from this voucher. In my case I'm not getting any so less incentive to fly to HKG.

3. I plan to do the following I have taken a 3 day halt in DXB on my way to HKG. The flight from HKG I don't intend to fly in any case but I would still checkin online. The same for return from HKG to DXB, not flying but checkin online only.

4. I don't know after this my ticket from DXB-GRU will be valid but I will update you guys on what happened in the end.

Lets see how it goes...

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.