FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Is Emirates part of SkyTeam, OneWorld, or Star Alliance? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1184052-emirates-part-skyteam-oneworld-star-alliance.html)

caseminole Feb 14, 2011 2:38 pm

Is Emirates part of SkyTeam, OneWorld, or Star Alliance?

Just curious. A friend is flying and I promised to find out

Zol Feb 14, 2011 2:42 pm

Nope - no alliances

PHLyer82 Feb 14, 2011 2:42 pm

They have agreements with other airlines but they are not a part of any airline alliance.

ash_ak Feb 14, 2011 3:00 pm

its high time they do, Now that they have started this new tier miles system and flex/saver tickets, etc, they should also in return present their customer with a better network than what they currently have.

groobs Feb 14, 2011 3:45 pm

Really ash_ak? Can you really see any of the airlines and alliances wanting to allow EK on their roster? EK tread on the toes of pretty much all the major players out there, and with the way that EK are continuing, they'll have surpassed most in five years.

No point EK being part of an alliance, the only people wanting this are the users of Oneworld, Star Alliance, SkyTeam wanting to stretch their miles further.

eightblack Feb 14, 2011 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by groobs (Post 15863961)
Really ash_ak? Can you really see any of the airlines and alliances wanting to allow EK on their roster? EK tread on the toes of pretty much all the major players out there, and with the way that EK are continuing, they'll have surpassed most in five years.

No point EK being part of an alliance, the only people wanting this are the users of Oneworld, Star Alliance, SkyTeam wanting to stretch their miles further.

groobs, I'm with you. I'm a *G member and a OW Sapphire member. But the last thing I want is EK joining an alliance. And besides, as you have quite rightly pointed out, there's no way BA or LH would even contemplate a partnership with what they consider to be Evil Empire.

caseminole Feb 14, 2011 5:12 pm

I just found out that UAL is a partner with Emirates even though Emirates is not *A.

At least my friend will be earning "almost" a free domestic ticket by earning about 20,000 Mileage Plus miles by taking the flight from LAX to DEL via Dubai

NA-Flyer Feb 20, 2011 12:52 am

Originally Posted by ash_ak (Post 15863636)
they should also in return present their customer with a better network than what they currently have.

Com'n they probably have the best long haul international network, going to many places that traditional, AF or BA or LH carriers, don't fly to.

NA-Flyer Feb 20, 2011 12:54 am

Originally Posted by eightblack (Post 15864245)
And besides, as you have quite rightly pointed out, there's no way BA or LH would even contemplate a partnership with what they consider to be Evil Empire.

Actually EK executives are the ones who stressed on many occasions their rejections of any plans to join any alliance at any time in the future.

GSCAM Feb 20, 2011 7:23 pm

Why would they join anyone else - the "founding" members of the other alliances have issues with them...

LH for *A : we all heard about the Germany Landing Rights.
BA for one world : They used to share their FFQ plan with EK in the past, that broke off.

ayeaway Feb 22, 2011 7:07 am

What are Emirates plans then.

The 380 is marketed as a hub to hub and the dreamliner as a point to point, so with the hub to hub wouldnt it make sense to enter into alliances with with smaller regional carriers to get you to your spoke?

With 90 380's on order surley someone has thought well we need to shift this pax from the hubs out to the spokes?

Was hoping something like that would happen with PG but Etihad and airberlin have got in there and now most conections seem to be through Thai *A.

Xlr Feb 22, 2011 12:17 pm

Emirates has never belonged to, nor has any plans to join an alliance. We see them as having significant anti-competitive elements and believe that our membership in one, would be an artificial brake on our own business plans. Unless you are the lead participant in an alliance, such as Lufthansa in Star Alliance or Air France in SkyTeam, individual airline members are compromised by their implicit or implied collective decision making.
http://www.emirates.com/ae/english/a...mpetition.aspx

groobs Feb 22, 2011 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by ayeaway (Post 15909573)
What are Emirates plans then.

The 380 is marketed as a hub to hub and the dreamliner as a point to point, so with the hub to hub wouldnt it make sense to enter into alliances with with smaller regional carriers to get you to your spoke?

With 90 380's on order surley someone has thought well we need to shift this pax from the hubs out to the spokes?

Was hoping something like that would happen with PG but Etihad and airberlin have got in there and now most conections seem to be through Thai *A.

Dubai is EK's hub, all other destinations are their spokes. Whats not to understand?

ash_ak Feb 23, 2011 11:40 am

I for one would like to see EK join the Star Alliance, I would love to be able to travel on SQ & TG and experience their wonderful service and not to mention more convenient schedules and more flights when flying the Asian-far East routes. Always, better to have more options, cant go wrong with that.

eightblack Feb 23, 2011 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by ash_ak (Post 15918365)
I for one would like to see EK join the Star Alliance, I would love to be able to travel on SQ & TG and experience their wonderful service and not to mention more convenient schedules and more flights when flying the Asian-far East routes. Always, better to have more options, cant go wrong with that.

Hell would freeze over before the founding members of Star (ie LH and UA) allowed EK to join the alliance. And you can be sure EK wouldn't want to - they've drawn their line in the sand and are going their own way.

Yes, the industry is always changing. And consolidating. But I just don't see this happening.