Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Building Progress DXB and DWC and news updates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Building Progress DXB and DWC and news updates

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:49 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Two airports are certainly a pain if most of your passengers are connecting. I don't see why it's an issue at this stage though?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 2:49 am

Programs: EK | DL | BA
A dedicated high speed rail link is in the offing, so watch this space....
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:02 am
Original Poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEbLf...ayer_embedded#!

Here is a video of the Ruler taking a tour of the latest Cityscape show in Dubai last week. Fast forward the video to 1:40 minutes, and thats where we have a small clip of DWC. You will notice a whole new design to the terminals, and concourses, great design.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:06 am

Looks like they're going for the Y shaped terminals.... And in a similar move to DXB, they will replicate the concourse design to maintain uniformity across the airport. Interesting change.

Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:38 am

On the other hand it could just be a concept design or place holder....

The website shows the masterplan with the previous design, but also includes the 1st completed runway and the 1st terminal building:

And to be honest, I am not sure I like the concept design....

Last edited by Face81; Oct 10, 2012 at 7:21 am
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by Face81
And to be honest, I am not sure I like the concept design....

I'm quite sure that the picture is of the new terminal at KWI. There is even a model of it in the current building.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 5:25 am

Good picture of the remote stands adjacent to the up and coming C4 / Concourse D

Source: http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...-dubai-airport
Old Oct 13, 2012, 2:22 am
Original Poster

I'm all for the new DWC design, let's wait for the renders to be finished.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Last crane at concourse A has been down for a while now, and the clean up job is moving a long smoothly.

Talk has it that it should open up around March, but any thing is still possible.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:49 am

Passengers will just need to swipe their passports at e-Gates to enter and exit the airports

By Mohammed Al SadafyPublished Monday, October 15, 2012

Officials and media persons inspect the new e-gate system to be installed at the Dubai Airport in January 2013 (SUPPLIED)

Dubai will introduce self-process e-Gates or “Smart Gates” whereby the passengers won’t have to stand in long passport control queues but walk straight through the gates by swiping their passports at the e-Gate scanner, said a senior official.

The e-Gates will be equipped with automatic identification system, automatic iris scan and facial imprint, thus allowing passengers to check in or check out of the airport within 22 seconds without entry or exit stamps on their passports, said Major General Mohammed Al Marri, Director of the Department of Residency and Foreigners Affairs at the Dubai Naturalisation and Residency Department.

In the first stage, 100 e-Gates will be installed at Terminal 3 in January 2013 and by the end of 2014 all the terminals will be equipped with these e-Gates.

Thani Abdullah Al Zafeen, General Manager of Emaratech, said passengers will be required to just swipe their passports at e-Gate scanner and walk through the airport.

“E-Gate will enable quicker passenger traffic and improve security. In case of a fake passport, e-Gate will prevent passengers from entering and alert the officer on duty,” Al Zafeen added.

Data by Statistics Department of DNRD in Dubai showed that the number of passengers travelling through Dubai Airports exceeded 50 million last year, including 30 million transit passengers.

Mobile phone

Al Marri also revealed that Dubai plans to introduce a new self-process technology whereby passengers travelling through Dubai Airport can enter and exit using their smartphones.

The mobile phones will work as a smart e-gate card and this facility can be used both by UAE residents and tourists/visitors.

Speaking at a press conference at Gitex, Al Marri said airlines coming to Dubai will share passenger data and this will make help passengers pass through the airport without hassle.

The project is being discussed and evaluated with Dubai Airports, Emirates, foreign carriers and Emaratech, a technology and professional services company.

Al Marri refused to disclose the launch date of the project. "We implement a project only after thorough study. All aspects of security will also be taken into account beore implementing the project,” he added.

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emir...10-15-1.479070
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:23 am
Original Poster

National Day is around the corner Face.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

http://www.dubaiairport.com/en/media...es.aspx?id=106

New assistants are a world first for Dubai Airports
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:43 am
Original Poster

I really like these virtual assistants, they give DXB that added touch.

Next week I'll try to get some updated photos of whats going on with the building process.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by NOIR
http://www.dubaiairport.com/en/media...es.aspx?id=106

New assistants are a world first for Dubai Airports
Have to say that I thought they were a little creepy
Old Oct 23, 2012, 8:47 am
Original Poster

http://www.dubaiairport.com/EN/MEDIA...es.aspx?id=108

New Al Majlis facility opens in time for World Energy Forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.