Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates and status matching! It works :)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates and status matching! It works :)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2011, 2:54 pm
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by Northumberland Lady
I tried doing it but received an email saying basically no.
same for me but I even didn't receive any answer
Old Jan 30, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
I'm 2,ooo short of silver status with Emirates but gold with Qatar - I phoned them too and was just told -"we don't like Qatar" lol!
No reason for them to status match if you're already flying EK a fair amount, and Gold with Qatar isn't that difficult.

The point of a FF programme is that you direct a significant amount of business to one airline, which you haven't done. No reason for EK to status match.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:34 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by mecabq
In my case, I still needed 50K. They gave me Silver, but I still started at 0 tier miles (or whatever I had in my account at the time).
I guess that most airlines only give the status benefits if they do agree to a status match.. but we need to qualify and earn the miles for the next time..
So, if EK has matched to EK Silver, then u get the benefits of EK silver (bonus miles, lounge access etc) but in the next 1 year u still need to get those 25k miles to requalify.. I guess most carriers do it this way..
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
I guess that most airlines only give the status benefits if they do agree to a status match.. but we need to qualify and earn the miles for the next time..
So, if EK has matched to EK Silver, then u get the benefits of EK silver (bonus miles, lounge access etc) but in the next 1 year u still need to get those 25k miles to requalify.. I guess most carriers do it this way..
But the question was whether you need the additional miles or the full miles to qualify for the next level. It's obvious that you need to earn miles to renew status.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by ung1
But the question was whether you need the additional miles or the full miles to qualify for the next level. It's obvious that you need to earn miles to renew status.
Sorry my mistake.. had to make it more clearer

AFAIK and from my experience, we need to earn the full miles for the next level or to retain the current level..
So, if someone is status matched to EK Gold, then they need to fly 50k miles to retain it.. if someone is matched to EK Silver, they need 50k miles to attain golkd or 25k miles to retain silver..
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: Cathay Marco Polo, AF/KLM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, others
I tried doing it but received an email saying basically no.

Tried it a year ago. Had booked my first 4 flights with EK and tried to get a status match (from AF KLM Flying Blue Platinum). No for an answer. Not even silver.

To be honest, flying EK was a good experience. But without a status I ended up flying KLM to DXB again. Personally, I think a missed opportunity for them, since I would have booked EK not only flying to DXB but also to destinations in Australia.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Rockhopper24
Tried it a year ago. Had booked my first 4 flights with EK and tried to get a status match (from AF KLM Flying Blue Platinum). No for an answer. Not even silver.

To be honest, flying EK was a good experience. But without a status I ended up flying KLM to DXB again. Personally, I think a missed opportunity for them, since I would have booked EK not only flying to DXB but also to destinations in Australia.
Could it have been because you're based in AMS, and a year ago, EK didn't fly there?
Old Feb 3, 2011, 4:15 am

Could it have been because you're based in AMS, and a year ago, EK didn't fly there?
+1 in my opinion...

EK will be interested specially in those routes where it needs to get regular flyers and sees new business coming in..
Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:04 pm

Indeed, you might be right on that one. Didn't realize it. Flew from DUS, but in my email I told I was living in The Netherlands. At that point in time EK didn't fly on AMS.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plt, AS G, MR Ti, IC
I agree, but the earlier post made me chuckle - it sums up alot of experiences in the Middle East/Subcontinent with entities dealing with the public, you just may get shot down by someone having a bad hair day, not for any policy, or even a policy to the contrary. Sounds like one could try again via email, and have a booking or two showing more business going to EK to encourage a status match. Heck, if they were booked in a refundable fare, especially premium cabin, then one could decide to cancel if one got the unlucky roll of the dice to get someone from Emirates in a bad mood or whatever.

No reason for them to status match if you're already flying EK a fair amount, and Gold with Qatar isn't that difficult.

The point of a FF programme is that you direct a significant amount of business to one airline, which you haven't done. No reason for EK to status match.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: FB,BD,LH,EK,PC,HH,MR
My AFKL Silver have been matched by EK took almost 2 weeks to confirm^
Old Feb 10, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Silver (soft landing!), HH Gold
Originally Posted by jexelot
How did you contact them? I just ping'ed them a message from the 'contact us' section of the skywards page..
Am attempting to ask for a status match for BAEC gold, not heard anything back yet... fingers crossed as headed to SEZ in the near future with EK
Old Feb 10, 2011, 6:54 am

Conversely - has anyone had their EK status matched by another airline/group?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Rockhopper24

Originally Posted by jexelot
Seems I have to give it another try now they fly from AMS....
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:11 am

Programs: Lifetime SK*G, FB Gold
Just got my SK Gold matched, could be because of EK's new route from CPH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.