Emirates check-in @ Hong Kong

Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
yea, there is definitely no way I'm taking an excursion via BKK. I'm not in the "experience" mode. I just want to get to DXB in proper comfort and a flat bed.

Do you really think I should change to the night before? Are swaps that common on CX387? The timing is lovely *if* F stays. I'm not thrilled about trying EK's business class product...haven't tried before, and would rather fly CX if that's the case.
I don't know as haven't flown CX long haul for years. Unfortunately a few months ago the catering contract for EK lounge in HKG changed and the F&B there went from good to mediocre.
Some of the friendly lounge staff left too.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
I don't know as haven't flown CX long haul for years. Unfortunately a few months ago the catering contract for EK lounge in HKG changed and the F&B there went from good to mediocre.
Some of the friendly lounge staff left too.
Yea I definitely don't care about the lounge. I just want a comfortable seat on board I plan to arrive airport last minute but. CX J is perfectly fine hard product, although I like EK F better.

My fear is just one of the posters above mentioned equipment swaps. A quick look at FR24 indicates a 777-200LR serving CX387 sometimes in August and September, I'm just curious the odds of a swap for my flight to a 2 class plane. I can easily swap to another EK flight with the A380 where F presumably doesn't get swapped (or refund and buy CX) if the odds are high to swap to that less-than-ideal looking EK 777 with only J class and no F. I haven't done it before and am not looking to start now!
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:25 pm

If timing and a non-stop flight are your priorities then take a gamble on any equipment swap. You'll probably find you can sleep like a baby in EK J anyway. It's not exactly slumming it.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: EK Platinum, BA/SQ Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by QRC3288
yea, there is definitely no way I'm taking an excursion via BKK. I'm not in the "experience" mode. I just want to get to DXB in proper comfort and a flat bed.

Do you really think I should change to the night before? Are swaps that common on CX387? The timing is lovely *if* F stays. I'm not thrilled about trying EK's business class product...haven't tried before, and would rather fly CX if that's the case.
From my experience of this flight (twice this year) no in town check in possible. Chauffeur drive pick up is 2h before flight (you must call to book this only in F)

Generally you arrive just as little train starts or its the long walk usually.
Ive not had it swapped to a 2 class before except on time during the Christmas peak.

My choice would still be the 0035(ish) direct DXB with A380 where showers and bar are available on the plane.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: WY SL, EK Gold, CX MPO
Sorry if I scared you about the swaps haha! When are you flying? Luckily a swap isn't that likely with EK, however it is possible so keep an eye on your booking. If EK387 works the best for you, you should be fine.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Thank you

Much thanks to all the posters above. I arrived yesterday without a problem. EK F remains by far the best way to get between HKG and DXB, IMO. Highly appreciative of the help.

Fwiw, I was told at the airport check-in counter close time is indeed 60 minutes. I arrived about 70+ minutes before (~6:25am) and checked-in without incident. And I was also told in-town checkin was not available, as confirmed by all the posters above.

It was the first time I took the morning flight and found it a fantastic way to steal an extra few hours in the day versus the evening overnights, both on EK and CX, which I've done each time until now. And the WiFi worked far better than I'm normally familiar with EK, perhaps due to the fact our flight was half-full.

I didn't realize equipment swaps were a "thing" on EK, you folks had me worried. CX, the airline I'm far more familiar with, essentially differentiates between regional (~4 hours and less) and everything else. The "everything else" category you can take it to the bank what your hard product will be. But CX regional is downright maddening due to endless equipment swaps between regional and long-haul planes, whose hard product has a huge gulf in quality.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
You may check in at the Airport Express stations anytime on the same day of departure.
Any recent experiences on this? I am planning to check a bag at 08:00 for a 17:55 flight and was hoping to confirm it is still the case.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
Any recent experiences on this? I am planning to check a bag at 08:00 for a 17:55 flight and was hoping to confirm it is still the case.
you can but youll have to break through the barrier and your not supposed to leave the station after! Basically you need to go check in and not scan your airport express ticket to use when you intend to travel to the airport
IAD_flyer likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by m3red

you can but youll have to break through the barrier and your not supposed to leave the station after! Basically you need to go check in and not scan your airport express ticket to use when you intend to travel to the airport
I was able to do it. There two zones with barriers, one for the bag dropped and the other for boarding the train. In the morning, I drop off my bags. I returned in the afternoon using the same ticket. The barrier for the bag drop is to make sure you are not gaming the system.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.