Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zol
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about Emirates and the Skywards program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about Emirates you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
/Emirates Skywards Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:07 pm

SPG Amex Card

Originally Posted by ft101
I'm surprised at this - I thought this card was a US$ card and was only issued in the USA. If it's the card I think, any spend in Ł on it is charged a 2.7% transaction fee so you would effectively be paying that for your miles. It is also charged an annual fee after the first year.
Hi
Thanks for the warning - foreign transaction fees are a real pain
Just to clarify - I stumbled across this by accident & we booked the UK card via the Quidco site, which will give me Ł45 cashback against the annual fee of Ł75. I thought 10,000 miles for Ł30 ( plus Ł1000 spend) seemed a good deal for the first year

Ginny Tonic

Last edited by eightblack; Feb 11, 2011 at 4:13 pm Reason: Fixed quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ft101
I had read it as she was planning to upgrade with miles on one leg and wanted to pay for J on another as she wouldn't have enough miles to upgrade them all.

Reading it again I was probably confused.
She did say MAN-DXB in Y and then 'upgrade' DXB-MEL to J, which she might have actually meant as ticket in J but which would ordinarily mean using an upgrade instrument, so I think we're all confused.

Originally Posted by ginnytonic
Sorry - I am confused, so not suprised that my post is confusing!
Yes - I had assumed we had insufficient miles, so I did a dummy booking and came across the problem that there seemed to be a requirement to travel in the same class for the entire journey.

I guess that must be so.

Does anyone know if taking a stopover option would enable us to travel in different classes on different legs of the journey?
ginnytonic just to clarify, you can ticket in Business (J) one way and Economy (Y) the other way (in this case it wouldn't be called an upgrade). Stopping over won't allow you to price a MAN-DXB Y DXB-MEL J, at least not on the website. A travel agent might be able to do this, but I don't have any experience with the same.

As far as upgrading with miles is concerned, you can do individual legs, or one direction of your journey (which works out cheaper than upgrading both MAN-DXB and DXB-MEL separately).

Hope that helps. Let us know if you're still confused.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 3:04 am

Many thanks for all the help & explanations of J & Y
Ginny Tonic
Old Feb 12, 2011, 6:50 pm

Programs: Virgin,UA,Singapore Air,Hyatt,Starwood
How To Request For Seats From LAX-DBX

Traveling on EK From LAX-DBX on 2/20/11. Question is by looking at the seatmap on Expert Flyer,how can I request the seats(3) I like from EK. Its in Economy.
Thanks fro any help...
Old Feb 12, 2011, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by all4fun
Traveling on EK From LAX-DBX on 2/20/11. Question is by looking at the seatmap on Expert Flyer,how can I request the seats(3) I like from EK. Its in Economy.
Thanks fro any help...
You can do this online through manage a booking. You'll need to sign up for Skywards first, and then you can select seats for everyone on the booking.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 1:24 am

Programs: Skywards
Hi (ooh... first post).

I'm flying BNE - LHR with a change in DXB in May. I've not had to do the whole change plane thing before so I'm wondering if I have to go through any security procedures (won't be going landside, arrive in DXB at 12.45pm and depart at 2.15pm) or if it's just a case of getting off the plane, strolling through the terminal and then boarding the next flight. In other words, should I be getting worried if my flight is late?

Cheers!
Old Feb 13, 2011, 2:33 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by IslandMama
Hi (ooh... first post).

I'm flying BNE - LHR with a change in DXB in May. I've not had to do the whole change plane thing before so I'm wondering if I have to go through any security procedures (won't be going landside, arrive in DXB at 12.45pm and depart at 2.15pm) or if it's just a case of getting off the plane, strolling through the terminal and then boarding the next flight. In other words, should I be getting worried if my flight is late?

Cheers!
IslandMama

Welcome to FT and the EK Forum,

When you land in DXB, you will have to go through another security check-point but you should be ok time wise. EK wouldn't sell you the connection if they thought the times were going to be too tight. And besides, you land and depart in the same terminal (but we will warn you - the terminal is bigger than the Gabba!)

Enjoy the A380 from DXB to LHR (as by the schedule you describe, thats the plane you will be on)

Good luck. Safe travels.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 3:47 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by eightblack
Enjoy the A380 from DXB to LHR (as by the schedule you describe, thats the plane you will be on)

Good luck. Safe travels.
Good spotting. It's going to be a long day... I'm on the 0245 flight out so I'll be pleased to get to LHR when I finally arrive.

Bigger than the Gabba? I've done a few laps of that place. At least the T3 will have something different to look at. Mostly duty free shops, I guess.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 4:36 am

Hi,
I have an itin in june/july with EK, routing is FRA-DXB-BKK-HKG, KUL-DXB-FRA with Stopovers in DXB, BKK and HKG. When im on EK.com it shows me that my Passenger Information is "Incomplete". When i want to edit it, every field i filled in just says "OnRecord". Is that correct and the way it should be?

One other thing, when i view the skyward miles breakdown it tells me that im only getting 6000 tier points (7000 skyward miles) out of my itin. Its 3000 for FRA-HKG and 3000 for KUL-FRA. But shouldnt i get some more as i have stop overs, different flight numbers etc.?

Regards
Old Feb 13, 2011, 4:51 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dlh7la
Hi,
I have an itin in june/july with EK, routing is FRA-DXB-BKK-HKG, KUL-DXB-FRA with Stopovers in DXB, BKK and HKG. When im on EK.com it shows me that my Passenger Information is "Incomplete". When i want to edit it, every field i filled in just says "OnRecord". Is that correct and the way it should be?

One other thing, when i view the skyward miles breakdown it tells me that im only getting 6000 tier points (7000 skyward miles) out of my itin. Its 3000 for FRA-HKG and 3000 for KUL-FRA. But shouldnt i get some more as i have stop overs, different flight numbers etc.?

Regards
Welcome to FT and the EK Forum,

Skywards works in zones, rather than look at individual flight numbers or amount of stops.
So for your routing, Skywards refers to the journey as follows: Europe West to Far East (Flex)

I just went in and picked a random date in June and asked the system for a one-way. Your ticket may not in fact be a flex ticket (and may be a Saver fare) in which case, explains the differential in tier miles. If my ticket was flex there and back, I would earn 12,000 tier miles. If it was in Saver, I would earn half that.

The first question re "incomplete" details - it's all fine. When it says "on record" it means the res system has all the info it needs. Some of the data fields are optional anyway.

If you want to earn more tier miles, you might want to enquire from where you purchased your ticket, how much it would cost to "re-fare" your ticket from a saver to a flex. In many instances, it is only a few hundred dollars.

Last edited by eightblack; Feb 13, 2011 at 4:57 am
Old Feb 13, 2011, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by dlh7la
Hi,
You don't need to worry about this. The details will be taken care of at check in by the agent.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 5:18 am

Ok thanks for your information!
Indeed, its a saver fare, the difference between tier and skyward miles is a bonus from EK374 (+1000)

I defenitly dont want to re-fare it, as i am already on a budget trip

Great and fast help, thanks guys!
Old Feb 13, 2011, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
Question Ek384 dxb-bkk-hkg

If you take this flight do you have to deplane in BKK?. If yes which lounge does EK use at BKK - in fact is there enough time to use the lounge?.

Does anyone have any opinions of EK384 versus the non-stop EK380 to HKG. Will be connecting in DXB from EK106 from ATH. From the loadings EK384 seems to be the more popular flight although this may be due to DXB/BKK traffic.

Does EK have traffic rights on the BKK/HKG sector?

I will be travelling in F.

Many thanks
Old Feb 13, 2011, 5:55 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

You'll have to get off in BKK. EK has their own lounge in BKK - its a cracker. I think its better than Singapore's (even though its smaller). The food selection is good, wine choice very good etc.

Obviously the DXB-HKG direct flight is better because you're on the 380 the whole way.

And yes, you can ticket BKK-HKG-BKK direct via EK. It's cheap (ie approx US$250 return in Y)

If I had the choice though, I would take the direct DXB to HKG flight. 380 the whole way and non-stop.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: SQ SPPS, EK I/O, CX DM, SU Plat, Hyatt DM, IC RA Plat, HH DM, AMX Cent
Small Correction

Originally Posted by col747uk
If you take this flight do you have to deplane in BKK?. If yes which lounge does EK use at BKK - in fact is there enough time to use the lounge?.

Does anyone have any opinions of EK384 versus the non-stop EK380 to HKG. Will be connecting in DXB from EK106 from ATH. From the loadings EK384 seems to be the more popular flight although this may be due to DXB/BKK traffic.

Does EK have traffic rights on the BKK/HKG sector?

I will be travelling in F.

Many thanks
Hi,

I will correct my friend eightblack on his reply to your query.

You are not allowed to get off the plane if you continue to HKG on the same flight. There is a crew change although and there is a quick cleaning service as well. You will be asked to show your boarding pass to prove that you are good to go all the way to HKG once the BKK bound paxs deplane.

You will be offered Lunch on the BKK - HKG sector and the food is always very good on this sector but the desert offering is kind of a weird fusion thing for which I never ever developed a taste.

You will be on the A380 for this flight as well if you are flying prior to 27th March. Although there is a high probability that if EK has further delay in getting clearance from PVG to put the A380 there then this could continue further on the EK 384/385 service.

Safe Flying

EGT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.