Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

No Luck Upgrading To Business From Economy.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2010, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Hello everyone.

I am travelling from JFK to DXB on Nov 19th on A380. I fly with emirates all the time and every 3rd flight i take i have enough miles to upgrade to J from Y, and i am a Silver Member.

As far as i remember i never had problem updrading to J before using miles. but this time i am not able to.. either online OR telephone live operator. Online message no seats available.. please check close to departure date, and with operator, no seats available and she told me its very unlikely i will be able to, cus its high season... well..
I would really appreciate if someone can shed some light on how to go about upgrading. should i keep trying? and how likely its true that J class will open up for rewards seats close to departure date?
so right now they do have J class seats available BUT not the rewards ones.

Thank you.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Read the numerous other threads on this - all the information is there, you just need to search.

Check closer to the departure date - Nov 19th is not high season - you'll see availability open up a week to a few days before.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 2:43 am

I have a similar situation on Eva Airlines. I had booked and paid for premium economy (called Exec Deluxe) seat for HKG/TPE/LAX on 12/30 and return on 01/15/11. I have enough miles on Eva to upgrade to business class one sector, either TPE/LAX or LAX/TPE. But this far ahead, Eva wouldn't confirm the upgrade and just put me on waitlist for the upgrade.

From a discussion on the Other - Asian FF program, one poster said that Eva seems to have an attitude that it "resents" giving away something free, when they might get a paying pax for the business class seat.

It seems that Emirates has the same attitude. I also am in the Emirates Skywards program and have enough miles for an upgrade on a sector like DXB/HKG or BKK/SYD. But if it's so difficult to get early confirmation of an upgrade, it makes me hesitant to plan a trip that involves an upgrade, because I dread the thought of not finally getting the upgrade and being stuck in economy. My plan was to take a cruise from HKG/DXB and then fly back on Emirates using the upgrade from an econ ticket to business on the A380.

Now I'm not so sure.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 7:56 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

OPW...
Old Oct 30, 2010, 9:49 pm

OPW = ?

What I found from web search: Definition of OPW:

Of Public Works
Online Personals Watch
Other Production Works
Open Pilot Warranty
Omac Packaging Working
Optometric Physicians of Washington
oxidative potential water
Orthogonalized Plane Waves
Osaka Pro Wrestling
Oklahoma Pro Wrestling **
Office Profile Wizard
Oganizasyon Peyizan Wanament
OMAC Packaging Workgroup
Ontario Pro Wrestling
Our Place of Worship
Occipital Process Width
Offer Professional Wood
Occidental Petroleum Worldwide
Occult Pages from Winternet
Ocular Pathology of the Week
Office of Public Works
Oil Producer Workover
Old Peabody Workings
Overhaul Work Package

Last edited by tangoll; Oct 31, 2010 at 1:34 am Reason: OPW stands for what?
Old Oct 31, 2010, 3:08 am

One Post Wonder
Old Oct 31, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by eshaq786
One Post Wonder
Or in the alternative "Only Posts Wonce"? Sorry everyone, but I could not resist...
Old Nov 1, 2010, 5:28 am

I must admit I fail to see the significance or humour of the OPW post. After all, every poster was at one time a OPW until the 2nd post.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

OK i am not OPW no more... perhaps TPW now?

I still have no luck getting upgrade... gives me same message online and same response from phone operator... no use of skywards miles for me like this.

i'l keep trying until i board the plane.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:31 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Waiter, a belated Welcome to FT then... And good luck with the upgrade.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:05 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by tangoll
I must admit I fail to see the significance or humour of the OPW post. After all, every poster was at one time a OPW until the 2nd post.
It's just the high proportion of people on the EK forum who make one post, and are then never seen again

Welcome to Waiter, NAOPW (Not A One Post Wonder).

Cheers,
Rick
Old Nov 13, 2010, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

ughhh... whats happening??...still no luck upgrading from y to business. im flying on nov 19th jfk to dxb..on a380. comon ek show me some love.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 7:26 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by Waiter
ughhh... whats happening??...still no luck upgrading from y to business. im flying on nov 19th jfk to dxb..on a380. comon ek show me some love.
Don't give up! Remember (as a Silver) if you are not successful beforehand you can try at check in, then the lounge and finally on board if someone checks in but does not show up and is "off loaded" from the manifest ... Good luck!
Old Nov 13, 2010, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
That said, you do seem to have picked a very busy day to be flying... current availability seems very low:

EK 204 JFK 11/19/10 10:40 AM DXB 11/20/10 8:10 AM 77W
P2 A2 J0 C0 I0 O0 Y7 E7 R0 W0 M0 B0 U0 K0 H0 Q0 L0 T0 V0 X0

EK 202 JFK 11/19/10 11:00 PM DXB 11/20/10 8:30 PM 388
P2 A2 J4 C4 I0 O0 Y0 E0 R0 W0 M0 B0 U0 K0 H0 Q0 L0 T0 V0 X0

EK may be waiting to see if they can get paid pax into J, given how tight Y is for that day.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Actually, looking at that, the OP should save his miles. With Y completely sold out and plenty of availability in J, an op up might be on the cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.