Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

They stole our seats... and wouldn't move

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

They stole our seats... and wouldn't move

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2010, 3:11 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
Originally Posted by aruniyer
I really think your situation is plain and simple EK's problem. The best wy to express your dissatisfaction is to write to EK customer service and they will probably send you 10K miles or something. Don't expect anything better. My entertainment system has rarely worked properly the last few flights and the moron flight attendants have done absolutely NOTHING to solve the issues. What a bunch of retards. Furthermore I am EK Gold and my family's annual spend is in excess of $20K on EK alone.

Last but not least that whole "you can't jump 2 classes" thing is total BS. I have been upgraded to 1st comp. as EK Gold before from Y. Whoever you dealt with was just a flake.
In such critical cases, it is really important that one deals with the Purser and not the cute young FA that has been with EK for 4 months. The TO did mention that he was unable to talk to the Purser who is in full command of the cabin.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Any way to ensure that EK does not change the seats

Hi Folks,

I read frequently in this forum that EK changes the seats for pax randomly..

My mom is travelling next week from DEL to PRG via DXB.. I have blocked her seats online and I see in the manage my bookings that her seats are till now unchanged..
Anyway to ensure they dont play around with the seats I blocked since the last thing I want is for her to get a middle Y seat ?
Have put in her meal preference and also her Skywards no though she is just a blue member..

thanks
Abhi
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Hi Folks,

I read frequently in this forum that EK changes the seats for pax randomly..

My mom is travelling next week from DEL to PRG via DXB.. I have blocked her seats online and I see in the manage my bookings that her seats are till now unchanged..
Anyway to ensure they dont play around with the seats I blocked since the last thing I want is for her to get a middle Y seat ?
Have put in her meal preference and also her Skywards no though she is just a blue member..

thanks
Abhi
Even if they did this it would be a day before or at check in due to a different aircraft operating or if you have booked a bulkhead seat and it is required for an infant. Otherwise, there shouldn't be any change in seat assignment.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by ung1
Even if they did this it would be a day before or at check in due to a different aircraft operating or if you have booked a bulkhead seat and it is required for an infant. Otherwise, there shouldn't be any change in seat assignment.
ok.. then it shd be fine I guess since i hv not taken bulkhead seat ..
On the route she is flying, there is a 777-300 and A330-200 so I guess shd not be much of a problem..
thanks
Old Sep 14, 2010, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by louie-m
Does it never occur to you that maybe you can follow the rules and still be selfish and obnoxious? Or doesn't it matter as long as you aren't breaking any rules?
Yes, I realize even the most normal of actions or behavior may be intrepreted as selfish and obnoxious by a fringe element. Some may consider the simple act of using the airplane lavatory as selfish and obnoxious. (There is a reason seats close to lavs are less desired). Even booking a window or aisle seat can be considered selfish and obnoxious as it can potentially relegate someone else to the dreaded middle seat.

I think its perfectly fine for members of the "do unto others" class to choose not to recline, but I draw the line when some peeople feel justified in making their own rules and feel perfectly justified in kicking and using other physical means to force the fellow passenger in front not to recline.

The folks who chose to take OP's seat(s) clearly share the "making your own rules" category with seatback-kickers.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Its a discount economy ticket. Many fares begin with Yxxxxx. If you had paid in excess of US$4000 for your ticket (which I doubt), then your ticket would have been full fare economy.. and your fare basis would have just been simply Y.
Nonsense. There are many full Y fares that are not single letter Y codes. The OP was likely on YOWTH1, which is the highest economy fare you can buy on EK between HKT and SYD. Even if he was on a YY fare, it'd be YIF.

PS: The one-way fare is USD1307 not 4000.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:57 pm

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Originally Posted by makhdoom
Note to self: avoid itinearies that include third-world destinations like Dubai, Singapore, or Shanghai
Ok why are you bringing Singapore in this.. SQ does follow rules.. and I have experienced them making things happen..
Old Sep 18, 2010, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by Axey
Nonsense. There are many full Y fares that are not single letter Y codes. The OP was likely on YOWTH1, which is the highest economy fare you can buy on EK between HKT and SYD. Even if he was on a YY fare, it'd be YIF.

PS: The one-way fare is USD1307 not 4000.
Quite so Axey, and nice to see you're back.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by LAX1K to AmWest
Ok why are you bringing Singapore in this.. SQ does follow rules.. and I have experienced them making things happen..
if you read the whole thread, you would have noticed that he was obviously being sacarstic
Old Sep 22, 2010, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by GigoloArt
Sorry to hear that - i believe you acted in fair manner by not letting the entire plane waiting for you.

On the other hand I understand you anger, especially because you did receive the boarding passes for your seats as opposed have the seats assigned months before in "manage your booking" or even "online check-in" which does not give you a guarantee that you will get those seats.

I am surprised that EK's ground staff came on board to solve this. Normally, it is the purser who has the authority to deal with these kinds of issues. He/ she would also have assigned you seats in F, not to speak that he/ she would have taken the right measures to deal with PAX who do not obey to FA's orders.

Was the purse (brown uniform) with you? He / she normally deals in F and J (First and Business) and there is a supervisor for Y (eco)..
Not really... I mean, while the OP was trying to be nice and not delay the plane, this action showed the couple who stole the seats that they can simply get away with it and quite possibly, they will attempt this same despicable act in the near future.

To the OP: Next time, please ask for police staff if gate agents do not have the courage to enforce seat assignments. If I would have been in your shoes, I would have stayed by the seats I was supposed to be in and if other passengers and crew accused me of delaying the flight, I would point out that I was simply claiming the seats I was assigned by the airline and thereby enforcing security measures.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by GigoloArt
In such critical cases, it is really important that one deals with the Purser and not the cute young FA that has been with EK for 4 months. The TO did mention that he was unable to talk to the Purser who is in full command of the cabin.
Excellent point!
Old Sep 23, 2010, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
To the OP: Next time, please ask for police staff if gate agents do not have the courage to enforce seat assignments. If I would have been in your shoes, I would have stayed by the seats I was supposed to be in and if other passengers and crew accused me of delaying the flight, I would point out that I was simply claiming the seats I was assigned by the airline and thereby enforcing security measures.
+1.. very sound advice...
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:13 pm

Programs: QR Gold, EK, Accor, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold VIP, Delta
Originally Posted by plemos
I have been living in the Middle East for 5 years and I am not surprised at all…
Typical Kuwaiti/Saudi/ Emirati behavior.
I am sure that we, all living in this part of the world, could tell you dozens of similar stories of how arrogant they are and how bizarre they behave.
I wouldnt say it is a large percentage like that, but a considerably larger amount than in the U.S.

I was on a KWI-DXB-KWI on a different airline, and on the return leg, I was in an aisle seat which I had to pay for in advance(2K.D.), and towards the end of boarding a young Kuwaiti in Disdasha approached and was rudely jestering for me to move from my seat to the open center seat. I didnt and he kept indicating for me to move and I still wouldnt. I showed finally my boarding pass and he got the hint he wasnt going to get what he wanted from me.

On another note, wouldnt it have been a real kick in the a$$ if the original poster stood his ground, and the cabin crew would have moved the squatters to the first class seats that were available?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by tomnativenewyorker
I was on a KWI-DXB-KWI on a different airline, and on the return leg, I was in an aisle seat which I had to pay for in advance(2K.D.), and towards the end of boarding a young Kuwaiti in Disdasha approached and was rudely jestering for me to move from my seat to the open center seat. I didnt and he kept indicating for me to move and I still wouldnt. I showed finally my boarding pass and he got the hint he wasnt going to get what he wanted from me.
Was this Jazeera Airways? I saw the same thing happen once on Jazeera... African-American lady sitting in her assigned aisle seat (C), local Kuwaiti woman tried to get her to move into the window.

PAX in seat re-taught the local woman the proper order of the alphabet... ABC DEF

Same flight... I was supposed to be in D, got onboard and two Lebanese chaps sitting together in DF instead of EF. Made them move, but once the door close and I saw ethe exit row empty... said to to the gents "be my guest" and went for the value-added seats.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:43 pm

Programs: QR Gold, EK, Accor, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold VIP, Delta
Originally Posted by pr0digy25
Was this Jazeera Airways? I saw the same thing happen once on Jazeera
I guess the 2KD for my aisle seat selection gave it away on being a Jazeera flight.

Originally Posted by pr0digy25
African-American lady sitting in her assigned aisle seat (C), local Kuwaiti woman tried to get her to move into the window.

PAX in seat re-taught the local woman the proper order of the alphabet... ABC DEF
I am just a plain American, and I dont teach the ABC's, I was already in my seat, and possesion is 9/10ths or something like that. haha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.