Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates website won't let me upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2010, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates skywards gold

Hi all - this is my first post here.

I fly Emirates a lot and have never had trouble upgrading using skywards miles but having trouble at the moment. Flying CHC - BHX then MAN - CHC in September. The website won't let me even check if there is any availability for upgrades for the whole return flight (on the way out, there is a box I can check to do this when looking at the upgrade section in "manage my booking") - the return flights are just faded out and won't let me tick the box.

Does anyone else have this experience? Are there some flights which have just been blocked out completely, or should I just try closer to departure?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards

Standoc
Old Jun 6, 2010, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Welcome to FT standoc

The website won't even let me view my account right now, so I suspect there's a technical glitch. Try calling them up if it is urgent. There's no online discount, so hardly makes a difference.

Edited to add: It was just the site being extremely slow. The only flight greyed out in my case is one that's already been upgraded using miles. It does let me check for the other flights, though I'm surprised it shows no availability when seatcounter and expertflyer both show seats available.

Last edited by ung1; Jun 6, 2010 at 4:51 am
Old Jun 6, 2010, 6:03 am

I couldn't access the Skywards website ever since last night (GMT) if that is of any help! So I suspect they are having server troubles at Skywards (hence they probably can't access your miles etc.)
Old Jun 6, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: Qatar Gold. Skywards Silver, Etihad, China Airlines, Thai, Flying Blue, BA.
I can access their website but cannot upgrade any flights,trying for tomorrow from BHX,and one from DXB on the 8th June, also trying to upgrade two flights beginning of July.

Keeps telling me to contact them by phone. So much for trying closer to departure, might bite the bullet and just ask at check-in.

Also BMI website is not allowing me to complete on-line check-in today !!!! Arrrrrrrrgh

Regards
Flying Fireman
Old Jun 6, 2010, 10:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
If you have made changes to the flights it is possible the e-tcket has not been re-issued yet and therefore will not give option yet to upgrade or even look for the upgrade.

Check the the view/print e-ticket and ensure flights are same on there as in MMB.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 10:53 pm

Ive been trying to upgrade 3 flights I have between DXB-JFK (1 next week, another mid July and the last early Sep)... but they all say 'error, please contact emirates'. On doing so, I am told there is no availability for ups. It wasnt this bad last year....
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
Originally Posted by huzilulu
Ive been trying to upgrade 3 flights I have between DXB-JFK (1 next week, another mid July and the last early Sep)... but they all say 'error, please contact emirates'. On doing so, I am told there is no availability for ups. It wasnt this bad last year....
Last year was also a middle of a recession where there were many empty premium seats.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
Upgrade with ticket issued by other airline

I bought a full fare flexible business class with AA (As EK does not fly the route I needed to travel except for LHR-DEL}
I am trying to upgrade my LHR-DXB-DEL sector. The skywards help desk says it cannot upgrade on a ticket issued by another airline.
What options I have?
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by drbala
I bought a full fare flexible business class with AA (As EK does not fly the route I needed to travel except for LHR-DEL}
I am trying to upgrade my LHR-DXB-DEL sector. The skywards help desk says it cannot upgrade on a ticket issued by another airline.
What options I have?
Wouldn't you need to speak to AA about this? Either that, or ticket the AA sectors separately from the EK ones, or sit in J, it's not that bad.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ung1
Wouldn't you need to speak to AA about this? Either that, or ticket the AA sectors separately from the EK ones, or sit in J, it's not that bad.
I fail to understand how AA will help me in upgrading using my Skywards miles.

Ticket is already issued and part traveled and the reason for trying the upgrade is having over 200K skyward miles.
Can I try at the airport as I am a Skywards GOLD ? Plenty of inventory available on expertflyer.com
Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:03 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
As a Gold Member you can upgrade on board. The chief flight attendant can deduct the miles. Perhaps this option would work if there are seats and the check in agent can not process it for you.

If you are using a travel agent next time, just have them ticket it using EK's three digit code rather than AAs. You won't notice any difference on your end, AA will still get the revenue for your segments, and EK can do what they need to do to process upgrades.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
As a Gold Member you can upgrade on board. The chief flight attendant can deduct the miles. Perhaps this option would work if there are seats and the check in agent can not process it for you.

If you are using a travel agent next time, just have them ticket it using EK's three digit code rather than AAs. You won't notice any difference on your end, AA will still get the revenue for your segments, and EK can do what they need to do to process upgrades.
Many thanks for your constructive and very helpful reply.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by drbala
I fail to understand how AA will help me in upgrading using my Skywards miles.

Ticket is already issued and part traveled and the reason for trying the upgrade is having over 200K skyward miles.
Can I try at the airport as I am a Skywards GOLD ? Plenty of inventory available on expertflyer.com
Sorry, I think I misread your question. I figured you were trying to do a cash upgrade and EK couldn't do it because the ticket was issued by AA. In the case of using miles, I'm not quite sure how it would work if this isn't a codeshare even, but trying at check in, in the lounge, and then on board is probably the best option. However, you'll have to request for each leg separately, and it'll end up costing you more miles, something you probably already know.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 9:11 pm

Emirates upgrade

Emirates dont want you to upgrade I feel. They place all kinds of difficulties in front of you to prevent it. Changing rules about when and how to upgrade. I was told to wait to 24 hours prior to departure, now told all seats are gone. Getting irate!! Last chance is at check in. I will me even more irate if I find empty seats in biz on the flight.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by desertone
Emirates dont want you to upgrade I feel. They place all kinds of difficulties in front of you to prevent it. Changing rules about when and how to upgrade. I was told to wait to 24 hours prior to departure, now told all seats are gone. Getting irate!! Last chance is at check in. I will me even more irate if I find empty seats in biz on the flight.
As long as is availability in D class, you can upgrade from economy to business and as long as there is availabilty in Z class from business to 1st

No rules have changed on it. If there is no D/Z availbility then that is just unfortunate. You can always check before booking whether there is upgrade availbility if getting the higher cabin is key

They do not make it hard, very easy to do online or book by phone and can get all sorted out in 1 go; buy ticket and get upgrade completed

If there are empty seats in business on departure then c'est la vie; if you want guaranteed business class, then EK does sell business class tickets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.