Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Fired Irish Emirates FA in South Africa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fired Irish Emirates FA in South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2010, 7:08 am

May i also point out that Liz the girl in question had been visiting the Emirates medical clinic for many months where she was told she had a stomach ulcer .This together with the symptoms that we experience as cabin crew , sickness tiredness nausea and feeling generally out of sorts all contributed , the baby was a kilo when born not the size of a normal six month old baby .
Ask you r wife if this is possible ?
The situation is clearly not black and white , things are possible .
Much love x
Old Apr 10, 2010, 7:16 am

Smile

[QUOTE=roadrunner21;13744682]
Originally Posted by suzie wong

Post a pic of the healthy baby and mother along with the name of the hospital and trust me, the general sentiment of this thread would change.
While most people on forums such as this are creeps ( including myself ) am confident that some would help out if you can convince them.

Really sorry Roadrunner .

I wrote too quick and misspelt ! ooops
The correct spelling is Alexandra Johanna.
Sorry

Ps it said you sent me a personal message but it has been blocked
Thankx
Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, GF Silver, IC Royal Ambass, Marriott Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by littlegreenman

So if you are a citizen of the UAE, by all means, have a rant, however this might be the wrong place. You rather might want to run for elections and try to change things that way.
Errrr....elections in the UAE??? Now that's a novel concept.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by MarkLHR
Errrr....elections in the UAE??? Now that's a novel concept.
HaHa.

People do what they have to/ need to to get somewhere. There aren't always a lot of choices for them. That doesn't make it ok for another party to exploit their situation. Now we could say that investment bankers working 16 hrs a day are also exploited, and we could say that EK cabin crew not given comprehensive medical insurance are being exploited. I'm not trying to take sides or even compare those two instances, just pointing out that things aren't so cut and dry.

And, the UAE wouldn't be where it is today without all the expats who built it. Yes, it gave them something in return, and that's why they are there, but it's not as simple as leave if you don't like it.

Last edited by ung1; Apr 10, 2010 at 7:47 pm
Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, GF Silver, IC Royal Ambass, Marriott Gold, TK Elite
Completely agree with you Ung1. And for many the alternative to not staying in the UAE is a lot worse. Many do not have the luxury of choice.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 3:34 am

Programs: QF Silver
Originally Posted by i7654
...im pretty sure if someone from the UAE went to the UK and got pregnant the British government wouldn't pay for their health care either.
Unfortunately every Tom, Dick and Harry entering the UK is covered by the National Health Service, no matter whether they entered legally or illegally. They do not even ask for identification when you go to the hospital or doctors. Therefore everyone please feel invited to come and get your free healthcare here. If you don't get a visa just come on the back of a lorry haha.

I dont know what evidence you want...
How about a press article. RTE or BBC would happily jump on this story if it was true. Yet that has not happened. Google, Bing or Yahoo do not churn up any reports by an accredited media about this. Further the Irish High Commission or Embassy would take care of their citizens and pay for repatriation and medical fees. No doubt about that. They might claim it back from her later on once she is safely at home but they would never tell their own citizens to just p1ss off and leave them stranded. Common sense dictates that. This weighed against a facebook page and some internet rumours should convince you that this is not true. You can hardly consider a facebook page as proof. Otherwise you also have to consider every email from a Nigerian claiming to make your rich as true. I am saying this with all neutrality and without any hostility but you can not expect people to believe this based on a facebook page. If I open my own facebook page saying that Gordon Brown stole my cotton candy and I put my paypal account below for donations, would you believe it then? One should not believe everything they hear on the internet.

Originally Posted by roadrunner21
The discussion is about the moral/social responsibility of the corporation, not the country its based in. It just happens that EK is based in the UAE where employment contracts and regulations are 'different'.

My employment contract is a good 50+ pages and covers eighteen jurisdictions but is governed by one ( non sandpit ). Despite the legalese in the contract one clause stands out. No matter what happens,(short of committing a felony in any jurisdiction, as recognized by X law; X=a particular nation), my employer will evacuate me to the "primary jurisdiction" then if needed let me go, sue me, do whatever they deem fit, as long as they got my sorry A$$ out of wherever to "where I signed the god almighty fornicating contract".
I agree that moral/social responsibility is needed on this planet. However as one enters a contract they have to be aware of what they sign and can not complain about the consequences later. If she did not like the terms of the contract then she should not have signed. Saying I never thought I would be pregnant without a husband is a lame excuse. That would be the same as me buying some BA shares, 3 months later they go bankrupt and I say, oh I did not think they would go bankrupt, can I please amend the purchase and get my money back (with the purchase being a contract as well)?
Old Apr 11, 2010, 4:58 am

Programs: UA 1p, GF Gold, EK
Originally Posted by littlegreenman

Saying I never thought I would be pregnant without a husband is a lame excuse.
if it ever happened in the 1st place
Old Apr 11, 2010, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by ung1
HaHa.

People do what they have to/ need to to get somewhere. There aren't always a lot of choices for them. That doesn't make it ok for another party to exploit their situation. Now we could say that investment bankers working 16 hrs a day are also exploited, and we could say that EK cabin crew not given comprehensive medical insurance are being exploited. I'm not trying to take sides or even compare those two instances, just pointing out that things aren't so cut and dry.

And, the UAE wouldn't be where it is today without all the expats who built it. Yes, it gave them something in return, and that's why they are there, but it's not as simple as leave if you don't like it.

Thank you Ung1
Its nice to see someone with compassion .
Its true we are all here cause it offers us better for ourselves and to have a more comfortable life but there are things that some people will never understand unless in the situation.
A lot of people who built dubai those amazing places you see if only you knew the lives they live .
Because of where im from and with other people from "lesser " class countries there is a huge gap in the quality of life .
What you see and what goes on here are totally different and its not only the people from this country .
I ve known many local people and have a lot of respect for the things the leader s of this country are doing .
It s just the injustice people come across and it s not all from the country its the companies within here that have the power and yes as a guest you can either live with it or leave .
As far as this subject we are all talking about , we are trying to get across the message of the humane side of it .
This is an isolated case and not each and every person who works in that job experiences it , we are only talking about the case of pregnancy and being un married .

Most of what i say is directed to the others out there who keep picking at this , as i said i just wanted to share information with those who are interested.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old Apr 11, 2010, 6:35 am

OMG
We all know about contracts bla bla bla .
I do not wish to reply to you anymore , as you dont seem to get what was being talked about .
I wish you all the luck in the world .
And behalf of all those people who are not as lucky as you in life and dont have the power or options Or voice or love and support that EVERY HUMAN BEING should be respected with we would like to wish you peace .
Bye xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Apr 12, 2010, 6:19 am

Google 7days.ae baby shock for cabin crew to have a look at an article that was printed in a daily newspaper .
X
Old May 1, 2010, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
ekfb pointed out that their mail boxes contain flyers collecting money for the mother. The only other evidence I can think of would involve photos taken from the inside of her falopian tube.

Based on the information provided by ekfb, I shall downgrade my earlier pronouncement of this story from "Cobblers" to "borderline bollocks". Further evidence will result in a complete and unreserved retraction.
Well, it turns out that I actually have some mutual friends with the father of this baby and they have vouched for the accuracy of the basic facts of the story (viz. that the baby exists and was born premature during a layover in South Africa). There is a lot more to the story however and suffice it to say that the mother made some seriously poor choices.
Old May 1, 2010, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Google 7days.ae baby shock for cabin crew to have a look at an article that was printed in a daily newspaper .
X
Why are you telling me about you were left from the F/A job at EK? You have absolutely no reason why you were terminated from your jobs without notice. If you staying at home during your pregnancy. Obviously, you can't be traveling everywhere around the world for awhile. You are taking own responsiblities to have a advice for 2 weeks notice from your management to tell you if you staying at home. You will have try to called from your manager.

I think you should have to accepted apologizes to EK management for what you done something wrong during the flight to South Africa. You have to write the letter to EK CEO will have give your opportunity for you. You will have try to do something else where you work another airlines in the future. So unfortunately, I cannot accepted for your behaviors at work and you will not try to take the advantage of your work at EK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.