Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Does Emirates cover tips for Chauffer Drive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Emirates cover tips for Chauffer Drive?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:54 pm

In London, I tip either Ł5 or 10 depending on the helpfulness of the driver.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:48 am

Got a reply to my "points" made to EK re. poor service, see above !

Seems the driver has a different view.

"The driver has been interviewed and he has confirmed that due to the cold weather he did put his leather jacket on when he got out of the vehicle, but after he had loaded the car with your luggage, he then removed his leather jacket to drive.

Unfortunately the temperature had dropped to -9 degrees as he approached the Pennines, which resulted in his washer bottles freezing, and he has confirmed that you suggested he drive behind the lorry to get the spray to help clear the windscreen.

The driver has confirmed he did use the third lane to overtake, but remained within the speed limit, but he does refute he crossed the rumble strip. The driver is a holder of the Advanced Driving Certificate and is experienced in the provision of ground transportation, but I am truly sorry if you felt unsafe at any time.

There is a further divergence of opinion with regard to the payment, as their records show the driver advised you could pay either by cash or by card. You chose cash and offered the driver GBP30.00 and asked for a receipt to show this amount. However, please accept my apologies if this is different to the actual events that took place."
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:16 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Since they are completely outsourced in most cases and therefore have no "loyalty" to earn from you as a customer (EK isn't going to switch car services because of bad service they will to save cost) - I only tip in the event of exceptional service - if they guy helps me with my bags, doesn't blare his/her choice of music and maintains a comfortable temperature in a clean car - he will get a tip.
In Singapore this is usually around SGD5, especially if I have heavy bags and he helps.
In UAE 5-10aed.
At JFK - 10$,
In India - again depending on my luggage - 80-100 rupees
Old Feb 10, 2010, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, GGL, Virgin Silver, Skywards Platinum, SPG VIP
I always tip in Dubai and India as I know the drivers are paid very low wages. 20-30 AED in Dubai and similar in India.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
Why subsidize AVIS?

I entirely agree that tipping is 100% discretionary and depends on quality of service. I always tip when driver is on time and picks up my luggage and puts it in a trolley whichever country it may be.
I do not agree with the argument that you should tip because the driver is poorly paid. You are actually encouraging companies like AVIS to pay poor wages intentionally expecting you to subsidize them.
I do not know what happens to the service charges they bill EK. Is it passed on to the drivers or gobbled by the company?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:10 pm

$10 seem to be appropriate for JFK, based on my experience
Old Feb 11, 2010, 3:29 am

I am sure that the drivers in Dubai do not get any extra, even if EK claims tips are included. This may vary in other countries depending who the driving is contracted to.

Just like with hotel shuttles, restaurants and hotel bellboys, if the service is extra good, tip extra, if the service is standard, tip $1/per suitcase, if the service is bad don't tip.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 7:40 pm

Programs: EK Gold, , FB Gold, Jet Platinum, ICH Royal Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Platinum
Originally Posted by tezzer
Usually I tip when I use the service in the UK, or at least I did when Tristar had the Manchester service. They always turned up on time, in a Volvo estate, were polite in the extreme, smartly dressed etc. A new company has got the contract now and the difference was amazing.

A non understandable due to accent driver in a leather jacket, and sat in the toyota while I and my wife struggled down the drive with my 70 kilos or so of luggage, who then insisted on driving down the uncleared 3rd lane of the Motorway, who's radio was tuned to some obscure station, but just audible and therefore irritating. His windscreen washers froze up, so we took to driving in the wake of HGVs just to get some spray off the motorway onto the screen so that we could see for a mile or two till it was obscured again. Visibility was SO bad we were off the road (again motorway) twice before we got to Manchester. As I unloaded my luggage, he mentioned for the first time the excess, Ł21.33 but had no change and no card payment facility, so I had to give him Ł30. As he had no change the guy managed a tip. I'll give him a tip, "get another job".

It has left more than a sour taste in my mouth, the more I think about it. I sent a report into EK and got the usual reply, that someone had been assigned etc. etc.
I agree with the comments regarding Tristar. Super service with really good drivers. They alwasy carried the cases from the front door to the car. At the airport they would fetch the trolley (using a key from a tin of luncheon meat, I have one in my wallet all the time) and load up the trolley. New service was not in the same league. You probably had the same driver that i had on the last trip out of MAN. Arrives late, gets out of the car smokes a cigarette, leaves me to carry the cases down the drive. Complains that i had 4 cases and not 3. Explain that one of the cases is a brief case.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:30 pm

Programs: PCRA, BAEC Silver
Will it be possible for me to travel with the chauffer drive if I want to pick up my meet my parents at the airport?

Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:31 pm

Programs: PCRA, BAEC Silver
Will it be possible for me to travel with the chauffer drive if I want to pick up my meet my parents at the airport?
Also, Will the service be available if they decide to stay in airport hotel a day earlier?

Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:38 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by 0123571113
Also, Will the service be available if they decide to stay in airport hotel a day earlier?

Thanks!
Can you please explain more?

Are your parents travelling with Emirates? Or are y ou travelling with Emirates?

And why bring up a 10 month old thread when your question is not even about tipping?
Old Dec 30, 2010, 3:13 am

If your parents are arriving on an Emirates flight and you meet them at the airport (i.e. get there yourself) then yes, you could swing it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.