Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Business class fare rules ex jnb not correctly reflected on emirates.com

Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, Marriot Rewards Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Honors, Etihad Guest Gold, SAA Voyager,

Hi. Been following the forums for quite a while now but this is my first post!

I booked 2 J tickets for my upcoming honeymoon in late November on Emirates.com as the fare was fantastic value. (about R 17 000 / 1700 euro pp) to KUL.

I called the local Emirates office to confirm the chauffeur drive pick-up the other day and was told that I do not qualify.

It turns out that the fare was actually what was referred to as an "O" class or "Y-UP'' special by the local Emirates agent.

A quick look at my confirmation e-mail terms and conditions and fare rules did reflect a note stating "Skywards Economy Flex Miles Apply.''

However, nothing in the fare rules or ticket conditions which I received stated that the ticket does not qualify for the chauffeur drive service.

As I had booked through the website, and requested Business Class, I feel a bit hard done by by Emirates as I am now earning Economy Miles and not getting the chauffeur drive service.

Admittedly a closer look when booking would have reflected that economy miles would be earned, but it is not something you would normally expect when booking by clicking on ''Business Class''.

Furthermore, there was absoloutley no indication on the website that an "O-class" special was being run. No ad or special fare note of any sort.

Your thoughts? Or anyone had the same experience?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:59 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
This is an interesting one - I remember these Y-UP fares, but I saw them via a GDS, where it could be argued that one would be expected to read the fare rules and to know that YUP fares often don't come with full business class privileges. It books into O class, which is the lowest (i.e. cheapest) RBD in business class. However, the fact that you are in O inventory is immaterial, as I've travelled on O fares that allow chauffeur-drive (as far as I'm aware, most do).

However, you booked via the website - did you read the fare conditions? Sometimes the website does not show all the conditions, in which case you have a valid complaint to EK. Considering you simply selected 'business class', and had no idea you were actually on a YUP fare, nor that this should disallow chauffeur drive - you have a valid complaint.

What to do - can you see if your original ticket can be cancelled for a refund? If it can, you might be in luck, even if there is a modest refund charge. I can't see the YUP fare in the system any more, but I can see a promotional O-fare (that I think should allow chauffeur drive, but check with the call centre - it's code is OER9PZA1) of 16500 ZAR (excluding charges). It expires at midnight local time tonight, so you'll have to be fast. You should also join Skywards, and enroll your partner too (a friend of mine had problems with the online form, so you might need to call). You should then be able to use promotional code AESKW12 for a 10% discount on this fare (the condition of this discount is that all passengers are Skywards members and enter their membership number while booking, but you're allowed join 5 minutes before) bringing it to 14850 ZAR plus charges, which should end up cheaper than your original booking.

All that assumes you can get the original refunded. If not, and you can genuinely say you read all the conditions that Emirates' website offered you while booking, I'd escalate the matter as it's a perfectly reasonable expectation that chauffeur drive be included. Even if your fare is nonrefundable, have that argument today and ask for a complimentary refare to the current OER9PZA1 while it is still active.

Edit: And welcome!

Last edited by father_ted; Jan 9, 2012 at 5:06 am Reason: add welcome!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, Marriot Rewards Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Honors, Etihad Guest Gold, SAA Voyager,
Thanks for your help! Have e-mailed the local office and logged a complaint through the website.

I read the fare conditions and they made no reference to the lack of Chauffeur drive.

I noticed that it said Economy Flex Miles apply but unfortunately this was only after the consultant made me aware that I had booked a special fare.

I am aware of the new fare basis OER9PZA1 unfortunately my outbound travel date is 16 Jan and OER9PZA1 is valid for travel from 20 Jan-30 June as I understand. (I am inflexible). So a refund and rebooking won't help me. I am out by 4 days!

We are both Skywards members and have booked future travel on the Global Sale offer. It was well advertised unlike the fare I booked which I am told expired on 30 November. (incidentaly it was the day I booked).
Old Jan 9, 2012, 6:05 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Were you able to book the service online or did the link not show up?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 6:19 am
Original Poster

The link actualy shows up on Manage Your Booking.

I only called the office as a precaution to confirm the address and time details as the chauffeur drive service has in the past not pitched up for my dad (atleast on one occassion).

I was told that although the link shows up online, passengers booked on that specific fare and have reserved a chauffeur online are notified 3 to 4 days before the flight that a chauffeur service will not be provided and to make alternative arrangements.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by Joe_EK
I was told that although the link shows up online, passengers booked on that specific fare and have reserved a chauffeur online are notified 3 to 4 days before the flight that a chauffeur service will not be provided and to make alternative arrangements.
Yes, that happened to me. (I had read the fare rules from ITA - so was actually just trying my luck. ) Wasn't too put out. Given that the fare is so ridiculously low, I was quite happy to pay for the transfers which are a few hundred ZAR compared to many, many thousands of ZAR saved on the fare. (In my case the next best fare was 3 times as much.) But I agree that they should make it more transparent.

On the positive side we got upgraded to F on our first leg! Don't ask me how that worked - pretty much everyone else in J must surely have paid more than we did and/or had more status with EK. (I didn't complain about that either. ) Hope it happens to you too!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

I am hoping for an Op-Up on a sector or 2 as well since I was also told that the fare is not upgradeable with miles. Yet another grey area with this fare.

The consultant told me that they actualy discontinued that particular fare basis because of all the problems they experienced. The new fare basis earns Business Saver miles and qualifies for chauffeur drive etc.

The normal fare is around 20-25 percent higher ex JNB it seems. So not as big a difference as your fare.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Just a follow up. Ek did not actualy ever bother to respond to my query.

However, I did not receive any calls about not being eligible for the chauffeur service and instead got a text the day before on each occasion confirming the chauffeur service which thereafter pitched up.

Very strange. But not complaints from my side!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.