Wiki Posts
Search

En français!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2011, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
En français!

En français: Ici vous pouvez poser vos questions et réponses sur le programme Skywards en français.

En anglais: This is a pilot thread for discussions in French. The idea is to enable and encourage those who fly EK but are uncomfortable communicating in English to pose questions and answers about the program. The idea is to increase participation and welcome new members to the FT community.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by ung1
En français: Ici vous pouvez poser vos questions et réponses sur le programme Skywards en français.

En anglais: This is a pilot thread for discussions in French. The idea is to enable and encourage those who fly EK but are uncomfortable communicating in English to pose questions and answers about the program. The idea is to increase participation and welcome new members to the FT community.

bravo mon frère
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:45 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Eric Cantona!
Old Mar 26, 2011, 3:09 am

Programs: Emirates, Thai, TK
Bad idea.
Or we get discussions in French, German, Italian, Dutch, Spanish etc etc etc
Unless you can read and write all the languages, which I can’t
And my first language is also not English.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 8:30 am

Exactly, bad idea. Moderator, please close thread.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by merijn
Bad idea.
Or we get discussions in French, German, Italian, Dutch, Spanish etc etc etc
Unless you can read and write all the languages, which I can’t
And my first language is also not English.
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Exactly, bad idea. Moderator, please close thread.
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand your concern. English is my first language, so this wasn't motivated by any personal reasons.

You're welcome to participate if you think you're better off discussing in French instead of English, otherwise you're free to ignore the thread. If you'd like to make the effort to start a thread in Thai, you're more than welcome to do so, but there is the question of how many EK flyers are a lot more comfortable with Thai than with English, or any other language for that matter.

Look at it this way. People in the US, Canada, UK, Australia, India, Germany speak English. EK's market share in Spain and Italy is too small for this to be relevant. Mandarin and Arabic are probably relevant, so you're welcome to make the effort and get things started.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Eric Cantona!
That's all the french I know, King Eric.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Cést un bon idee! Ni hao to you too :-)

yahaan ek dhaaga hindi mein bhi shuru karte hain!

Seriously while I love the inclusiveness of the idea there must be something on FT that does not allow this or else there would have been other threads ?

O senhor eightblack, que fala voce? Good-oh or no? Nous demandons un decision, svp!
Old Mar 26, 2011, 8:28 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
There's actually nothing within the FT Terms of Service which prohibits the above. I applaud the initiative and what the ToS does refer to is tolerance to all races and cultures.

Like all things on FT - if the thread doesn't gain traction, it will simply fade away...
Old Mar 26, 2011, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Why just French? Can we have a similar thread in every language of the world?
Old Mar 26, 2011, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justforfun
Why just French? Can we have a similar thread in every language of the world?
Read my explanation above.

And sure, start one in any language. Preferably a market that EK actually flies to. We have, what, thousands of threads on this forum, most of them quite pointless anyway. I don't know why people are getting so wound up about this.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ung1
I don't know why people are getting so wound up about this.
Because it doesn't seem to be a good idea to split the FT community apart. While no one has said English is the common language, it de facto is. It's hard to establish a community if everyone isn't able to communicate with each other. The great thing about FT is that even if someone has limited English skills, they are welcomed. And every French speaker I know has very impressive English skills.

It just seems irrelevant and potentially disruptive to start having threads in other languages, even if they don't violate TOS rules, especially when started for no apparent reason. Now, if someone who truly didn't speak English started a thread in French, I think you'd see an outpouring of support and replies in French, because that's what FT is all about, helping a fellow traveller.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:30 pm

Programs: Emirates, Thai, TK
One of the reasons i think it is a bad idea is the fact that I’m now able to read all the threads.
People get a lot of information from them and when the threads are in different languages they are not able any more to read them or get the information.
We would also get a lot of duplicate threads. ( same subject in different languages )
Most people on this forum can read and write at least basic English with is more then enough.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 4:12 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Compromise!

Ung1s thread should henceforth be for all languages OTHER than english ? Hows that?

As the moderator said there is no bar and even applauds the initiative.

We should go for it. Ek is a global airline so if we are innovate on this score it makes sense!

On y va, ung1!

^
Old Mar 27, 2011, 8:03 pm

How can such a thread be moderated if there no moderators who speak the language being used?

I've seen this used elsewhere for prohibiting threads in "other" languages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.