Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Dan Hotels asks for injunction against 3rd airport lounge tender

Old Oct 6, 2008, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles

Dan Hotels asks for injunction against airport lounge tender

The operator of two travelers' lounges at Ben Gurion Airport objects to a tender for a third lounge.

Yitzhak Danon 6 Oct 08 14:03

Dan Hotels Corp. Ltd. (TASE: DANH) subsidiary VIP Lounge Ltd., which operates two travelers' lounges at Ben Gurion Airport's Terminal 3, has petitioned the Tel Aviv District Court for a temporary injunction to block a tender by the Israel Civil Aviation Authority for a third traveler's lounge at the terminal.

Dan Hotels says that the Civil Aviation Authority is trying to force the company to open a third traveler's lounge at the airport, even though there is no need or economic justification for it. The company says that the Civil Aviation Authority decided to publish a tender for the third travelers' lounge, which will severely harm the company.

http://new.globes.co.il/serveen/glob...387837&fid=942
Old Oct 7, 2008, 12:28 am

Well, there is certainly a need. The lounge in C is a zoo in the afternoon.

Some competition in terms of facilities and food would also not harm.

I would love them to make a proper 'F' lounge. The facilities in the Dan lounge are a joke. LH probably pays a fortune for me to use the F lounge each time I fly, but I rarely even sit there. The food is worse, and often there are no seats.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 2:42 am

Here is the new lounge that is about to be opened.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by apirchik
Here is the new lounge that is about to be opened.
Their opening a Gym...?
Old Oct 7, 2008, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by clubman
Their opening a Gym...?
How much will it cost me to be allowed not to go in?
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:12 pm

I am glad that they are opening a tender. Using the Dan Lounge on a Sunday when there are all the business class travelers for Continental, Delta and whoever else uses it, is too crowded. Plus, they use the lounge in the exact opposite location than the flights to New York and Newark depart, which is so frustrating.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:12 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by clubman
Their opening a Gym...?
This is a silly idea IMHO. TLV is not a transit airport but an end point. How many people are going to be willing to get to the airport ahead of time specifically to get in some gym time?
Old Oct 12, 2008, 1:37 am

Programs: EL AL Gold, BA Gold, LH M&M
it kinda looks small
Old Oct 19, 2008, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
looks like a cool idea.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 1:54 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by entropy
looks like a cool idea.
For a transit airport, sure, but TLV?
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:52 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA silver, LH, UA
Which leads to the real question

Originally Posted by yosithezet
For a transit airport, sure, but TLV?

When will TLV start being a real transit airport?

I live in CDG, and when I go east, I want to go through TLV, fly with a nice (and secure airline) which does not pass over countries where my nationility (or occupation, there are some research fields in computer security ...) may cause me troubles.

I am even willing to pay the difference if it makes sense, but all the TA I've tried told me - buy CDG->TLV->CDG, and embed the other trip inside (which besides the stupid extra cost may lead to trouble if the embedded trip goes soar, and I would need to check-in my laguage again, etc. etc. etc.). This is even harder when the travel east is a triangle, which LY's support for is non-existent (if the triangle is not in the same country). I was offered three one ways by a trusted TA to complete the triangle.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 11:12 am

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
Originally Posted by mkilmo
When will TLV start being a real transit airport?

I live in CDG, and when I go east, I want to go through TLV, fly with a nice (and secure airline) which does not pass over countries where my nationility (or occupation, there are some research fields in computer security ...) may cause me troubles.

I am even willing to pay the difference if it makes sense, but all the TA I've tried told me - buy CDG->TLV->CDG, and embed the other trip inside (which besides the stupid extra cost may lead to trouble if the embedded trip goes soar, and I would need to check-in my laguage again, etc. etc. etc.). This is even harder when the travel east is a triangle, which LY's support for is non-existent (if the triangle is not in the same country). I was offered three one ways by a trusted TA to complete the triangle.
Don't think it'll happen in my lifetime. Not too many customers with your sort of criteria that would support the development of TLV into a hub under current regional political realities. Not to mention the fact that because of those realities, Israel/TLV is not likely to have the sort of extensive linkages (not just airlinks) that people would want out of such a hub. And DXB seems to be doing alright while DOH has similar ambitions.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 5:43 am

Programs: LH SENATOR
It really gets time that TLV will offer a good loung product. As far as I know the EL AL King David Lounge is very good and can easily compete with other lounges of major airlines at their home airports. I haven't been there yet so I can't tell. However the Dan Lounges are really very disapointing. They are usually crowded and don't offer any kind of standard, not even free Internet access. Some major airlines such as LH, LX, BA, DL And CO should maybe get together and construct a spacious lounge for their custumers and also offer a real F Class lounge.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 5:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by LXA350
However the Dan Lounges are really very disapointing. They are usually crowded and don't offer any kind of standard, not even free Internet access.
That's incorrect. The Dan Lounges have several computers available with free internet connection. Of course, anyone who has his own laptop with him get on the in Ben Gurion WiFi system anywhere in the airport at no charge.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 1:51 pm

Programs: LH SENATOR
Originally Posted by Dovster
That's incorrect. The Dan Lounges have several computers available with free internet connection. Of course, anyone who has his own laptop with him get on the in Ben Gurion WiFi system anywhere in the airport at no charge.
Sicne when does Ben Gurion Airport provide free WIFI? At some point i didn't bother to check anymore as mostly I anyway come last minute to the airport that I don't have the time anymore, but this would be a positive suprise

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.