El Al impressed me.

Old Feb 11, 08, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Traveling Around from Country to country
El Al impressed me.

I have to share my feelings towards elal. When I booked my flight I had a choice between LY an CO, and everybody was telling me "don't touch these guys" their service stinks, I said to myself that a company being in business must be doing something right after so many complaints from customers, otherwise they would long go out of business(and having flown them once, with not good experience, rude FA's etc), so I decided to give them a try. I flew LX not long ago, so I can compare, El AL made it in all ways ,helpful, friendly,and great service. I really said to myself Chaim Ramon is doing it right. One minor thing though, the smile on the FA's faces are not there on them always, but the are friendly, I would say this is because they are Israelis and Israelis tend to smile less often, because they live in constant terror pressure, and the poverty level is much higher overthere, so people are less smiley (this is my view), anyways I made a good choice. Sent from my Blackberry.
Old Feb 11, 08, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by travelpro2008 View Post
I have to share my feelings towards elal. When I booked my flight I had a choice between LY an CO, and everybody was telling me "don't touch these guys" their service stinks, I said to myself that a company being in business must be doing something right after so many complaints from customers, otherwise they would long go out of business(and having flown them once, with not good experience, rude FA's etc), so I decided to give them a try. I flew LX not long ago, so I can compare, El AL made it in all ways ,helpful, friendly,and great service. I really said to myself Chaim Ramon is doing it right. One minor thing though, the smile on the FA's faces are not there on them always, but the are friendly, I would say this is because they are Israelis and Israelis tend to smile less often, because they live in constant terror pressure, and the poverty level is much higher overthere, so people are less smiley (this is my view), anyways I made a good choice. Sent from my Blackberry.
Well that was an interesting post. I don't think that the poverty level or terrorism would have much to do with whether the flight attendants smile on board. Glad you enjoyed your flight. Can we have some details of where you sat and on what flight? I have a ranking system for the flights and tend to value certain flights over others. This is also how I make my decision of which airline to fly on the NYC-TLV route.
Old Feb 11, 08, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I really said to myself Chaim Ramon is doing it right.
Chaim Ramon? I never knew he had anything to do with ELAL...

I think you mean Chaim Romano...
Old Feb 11, 08, 8:25 am

One minor thing though, the smile on the FA's faces are not there on them always, but the are friendly, I would say this is because they are Israelis and Israelis tend to smile less often, because they live in constant terror pressure, and the poverty level is much higher overthere, so people are less smiley (this is my view), anyways I made a good choice. Sent from my Blackberry.
I feel sorry for you to think this way. We (Israelis) are at no way smiling less than the rest of the world. I can honestly say Israelis tend to be very rude people, but at many cases we will be rude to you with a smile on our faces ...

Poverty? I guess you have not been to Tel Aviv in a while. By the way, this is where most of LY FAs are from.

Last edited by apirchik; Feb 11, 08 at 9:44 am
Old Feb 11, 08, 8:57 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I have a feeling that the Israel that you know and the Israel that most of the rest of us know are two very different places. Hence our different expectations as well.
Old Feb 11, 08, 9:32 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
Poverty?? Where is this poverty you speak of??
Old Feb 11, 08, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Israelis tend to smile less often, because they live in constant terror pressure, and the poverty level is much higher overthere, so people are less smiley (this is my view), anyways I made a good choice. Sent from my Blackberry.
Yes that is true.
Israeli's smile on average 15% less then British, and 30% less then the Americans.
For me, being half Israeli half British it is really very difficult finding the right balance between the two.
Sometimes I am not sure when to smile, and when I better stop so that people don't mistake me for being too "non Israeli".

As to the poverty issue.
Yes it is a huge problem.
But let me tell you, people are doing much better these days.
Some of my friends have managed in recent years to upgrade their huts to newer ones which are leak proof.
And get younger camels that are far better to ride.
Old Feb 11, 08, 1:27 pm

Programs: PL LY, PL CO , Gold HH
You made me smile Clubman

Thanks so much
I didn't smile for a long time because of constant terror pressure.
The poverty level was very high until your post.

I love the smile in LH and LX.
I love the smile of CO and DL inside the US flight
I love the nonstop talking of USA FA while I try to sleep with a smile on my self.
Old Feb 11, 08, 1:35 pm

Programs: CO Gold, AA Platinum, United Elite, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold
It is true that Israelis smile less. The reason for that is that they are real people who show their feelings. When they feel bad they don't smile, unlike some Americans. It actually helps other people to know how they feel and perhaps help them.
Old Feb 11, 08, 2:53 pm

I travel all over the world and do 150,000 seat miles per year. I am in Israel a couple of times a year on business and do find most Israelis to smile and have good senses of humour. What I find objectionable is their lack of service. I think it is their sense of entitlement and feeling of superiority.

Having said that, for years I tried to avoid El Al. Then, some months ago I flew them from TLV to ZUR and was very impressed with their C class and their service. Very hospitable and accommodating.

I had purposely left some business papers that was garbage in the seat back. Apparently, it was mistaken for important documents and about a week later received them in the mail (It had my name and mailing address) with a note from the station manager for El Al in Zurich. Not sure if even SQ or CX would go to that length. I wrote a letter of thanks to the CEO and received a nice acknowledgement. Thereafter, I joked that I was going to make TLV my hub instead of LHR.
Old Feb 12, 08, 2:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, LY PL, PC Platinum, RCCL Diamond
Leaving all the good humor aside for a moment, the bottom line is that the OP was impressed with LY. I must say (as I said before) I was impressed too by their service across all classes (Compared to BA (Y)/ LH(Y/C/F)/ QF(Y)/ CX(Y) etc...). But I must admit that I am biased being an Israeli and living in the dessert city (B7).
Old Feb 12, 08, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ysmisc View Post
Leaving all the good humor aside for a moment, the bottom line is that the OP was impressed with LY
Do me a favor, had he left it at that fine, but since he went on talking total b****, he had lost all credibility in my eyes.
Old Feb 12, 08, 4:44 am

The guy has an opinion on a lot of things. Look at post #22 on this thread
Old Feb 12, 08, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by clubman View Post
Sometimes I am not sure when to smile, and when I better stop so that people don't mistake me for being too "non Israeli".
Maybe you should rehearse the Mona Lisa facial expression? That would be a good compromise, you would blend in everywhere

Honestly, since when does poverty = fewer smiles?? To the contrary, I think that people in less fortunate countries are usually friendlier and "smilier" than people in more developed countries...
Old Feb 12, 08, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Traveling Around from Country to country
I am very sorry for those who feel offended, I really didn't mean to offend anybody, but as my mother always says "guilty screams", and as some op's confirmed my view. I pointed out a few reasons why this is happening, but I might be wrong. I ask forgiveness from all Israelis that were hurt by my words. Sent from my Blackberry.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: