Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Foreign airline crews not spending nights in Israel

Foreign airline crews not spending nights in Israel

Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jakebeth
I should have been more clear. I live in the US and have to travel to TLV.

The trickiest problem, believe it or not, is that in order to fly in biz, I may have to let my colleague purchase one of those buy-one-get-one tickets with his Platinum Amex. I don't know what the policy is about (he's in a different part of my company), but if I have to do that it will be with one of the Amex partner airlines.

I'm hoping to get a better deal with LY and see if I can convince them to let us fly that.
No Problem, simply fly whomever you want over to Europe and connect to an LY flight for the portion into and out of TLV. I see such segments all the time on Orbitz, although I dont know how that will end up $$ wise for a Biz tkt. You wont get EQMs for the LY part but can earn miles on a few Carriers for it eg DL/AA
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by craz
No Problem, simply fly whomever you want over to Europe and connect to an LY flight for the portion into and out of TLV. I see such segments all the time on Orbitz, although I dont know how that will end up $$ wise for a Biz tkt. You wont get EQMs for the LY part but can earn miles on a few Carriers for it eg DL/AA
I appreciate the suggestion. I'm not sure if I can make it work with his requirements, but it might be worth a try.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by entropy
as expected the europeans have no balls.

Perhaps you should take your politics to another thread. This is about airlines and frequent flyer programs.

But there are no administrators apparently to this forum, so perhaps you're exactly where you should be.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The trickiest problem, believe it or not, is that in order to fly in biz, I may have to let my colleague purchase one of those buy-one-get-one tickets with his Platinum Amex. I don't know what the policy is about (he's in a different part of my company), but if I have to do that it will be with one of the Amex partner airlines.
CO is one of the amex partners, so you may be able to get in on the EWR-TLV non-stop and save conncting in Europe. Be advised, however, that only the "main" ticket gets miles on the amex deal. The other one earns exactly zero.

S.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
CO is one of the amex partners, so you may be able to get in on the EWR-TLV non-stop and save conncting in Europe. Be advised, however, that only the "main" ticket gets miles on the amex deal. The other one earns exactly zero.

S.
Indeed. I don't really have a problem flying CO. (except that it will really s*ck not to get the miles...) I was thinking more about the risk that they, or any of the other carriers might cancel flights because of insurance.

Of course, hope and conventional wisdom dictate that the conflict should be done within a month, but I fear that if it doesn't get significantly better by then, it will have gotten significantly worse.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12

S.
the problem with CO is if their Ins company pulls the coverage on TLV, which would be done if Hezbollah is able and does Bomb Tel-Aviv.

The Only Carrier/s that are sure to continue flying into/out-of TLV no matter what are The Israeli Carriers as the Gov't steps in and is the Insurer. Thats why I suggested going via Europe, that way he can still fly whatever is his choice of Carrier/Program and still be assured that he will beable to fly into/out-of TLV no matter what by connecting on LY to/from TLV and Europe, or simply to fly LY the whole way but then one doesnt earn any EQMs only reg miles on DL or AA
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
the tourism ministry has been saying they would work to insure foreign airlines to keep flying there if that was the case...
of course, CO90 went out with 50% loads in BF and Y (actual load, not seatmap)
Old Jul 23, 2006, 9:29 am
Suspended

the tourism ministry has been saying they would work to insure foreign airlines to keep flying there if that was the case...
I for one wouldn't rely on that. After all they could have done that any time in the past that the Ins companies cancelled it and didnt.

If the loads are really that bad, could be that CO will reduce it to 1 flight per day. But from my flights in early Aug Coach went from an 'H' to an 'S' and BF is full. but Im sure they are still able to fill the Hold with Cargo so the less people allows them to put in more Cargo, so they can still operate both flights still being Profitable.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:08 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
We arrived on LY028 from EWR Friday morning. The plane was about 1/4 full, if that. Now to figure out what to do about the TSA/US Customs damaging stuff in my suitcase and not putting back something that fell during their check.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

It doesn't seem as though ticket prices have come down for travel from Israel to the USA - in fact my friend just told me that they went UP - though I know some of that is currency.

Is this a wrong perception? Should it not be surprising? Are they not trying to fill planes?
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
It doesn't seem as though ticket prices have come down for travel from Israel to the USA - in fact my friend just told me that they went UP - though I know some of that is currency.

Is this a wrong perception? Should it not be surprising? Are they not trying to fill planes?
Gut feeling: The airlines feel that anyone travelling to Israel right now has to come here and will not be deterred by higher prices.

On the other hand, lower prices will probably not lure someone who has no real need to be here.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dovster
Gut feeling: The airlines feel that anyone travelling to Israel right now has to come here and will not be deterred by higher prices.

On the other hand, lower prices will probably not lure someone who has no real need to be here.
Yeah. I hate to agree. But you're probably right.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dovster

Sounds good but not always the case.

I booked my 8/7 trip the beginning of June on CO, I had a Free Biz on AF with my DL miles but didnt like a 3hr wait in BOS and another 2 1/2 at CDG Plus my TLV-EWR flight was TLV-ATL-EWR so that also meant a waste of 5 hrs.

Checked CO and I was able to book an 'H' for $150 more then the cheapest available Coach. I figured since I was able to be conformed in BF with using only my miles and getting 150% EQMs it was worth it.

Checked this morning and my outbound which 2 weeks ago had only 'H' available is now showing 'S', so for $1000 I could fly CO in Coach while it was $1460 2 weeks ago. The return has also gone down but not as far as 'S' as of yet. If it does Ill probably switch since it will be substanial savings and if the flights are flying empty I'll probably have at least 1 empty next to me, also Im paying $1600+ but its BF

On Friday I called my rental car company and the rates went down to reg rates , no longer High season with Aug usually being the most expensive of all.That saved me $100.

Since Im based in Jerusalem The Hotel is still showing Sold-Out but I already had them block off my reg room for me back in May.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 2:58 pm

Programs: LH FTL
no, that was correct.
אוחצ'אי is the adjective of אוחצ'ה.
its a derivative of "sister"....
nice translation

Luckily Hebrew is not monitored as closely as English in this forum....
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM

craz- I thought you didn't waste $$$ on BF?!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.