Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Earning Frequent Flyer miles/points in Israel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
Print Wikipost

Earning Frequent Flyer miles/points in Israel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2006, 2:06 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
It would be good except:

1) I bought my Gold status with the Amenity and don't stay at SPG properties all that often. The vast majority of my stays are at Hyatts.

2) I'd have to change NIS to USD in order to pay the card off since I don't have USD income. (Although currently my charges are all converted to USD before conversion to NIS so that might not matter anyway. Hmmm.)

3) I have the AAdvantage M/C for using while in the US this summer.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 4:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by yosithezet
2) I'd have to change NIS to USD in order to pay the card off since I don't have USD income. (Although currently my charges are all converted to USD before conversion to NIS so that might not matter anyway. Hmmm.)

3) I have the AAdvantage M/C for using while in the US this summer.
If you have AAdvantage M/C you must have a U.S. bank account, right?

If so, I think you will find it much less expensive to make a few large wire transfers each year to put money into that account.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
still, if you are buying a lot of stuff in Israel, in NIS, Amex's 2% conversion fee plus really bad rates gets you.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 12:58 am

Agreed, but there is no conversion rate on items which are priced in dollars (such as airline tickets, Duty Free shopping, and hotel-bought Cokes).
Old Jun 12, 2006, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
Agreed, but there is no conversion rate on items which are priced in dollars (such as airline tickets, Duty Free shopping, and hotel-bought Cokes).
You need to do A LOT of duty free shopping in order to get your miles
Old Jun 12, 2006, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hotel bought cokes cost about 500% over the normal price!

I suppose if you are the cigarette dealer for your kibbutz you could do OK but then again, you'll need a lot of sales....
Old Jun 12, 2006, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by entropy
still, if you are buying a lot of stuff in Israel, in NIS, Amex's 2% conversion fee plus really bad rates gets you.
Well the idea here is not to use it in Israel but to use it on things you are purchasing which will eventually pass through dollars before getting converted into NIS. I spend a good amount of time in hotels in Asian countries. When they charge my Israeli CC the charge goes from local currency into USD and then from USD into NIS. So if I were to stop it at USD with a US CC and then transfer NIS to a USD into US account I could then potentially earn points/trips at a more favourable rate.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 5:51 am

Well the idea here is not to use it in Israel but to use it on things you are purchasing which will eventually pass through dollars before getting converted into NIS. I spend a good amount of time in hotels in Asian countries. When they charge my Israeli CC the charge goes from local currency into USD and then from USD into NIS. So if I were to stop it at USD with a US CC and then transfer NIS to a USD into US account I could then potentially earn points/trips at a more favourable rate.
You can open a USD back account in any Israeli bank (parallel to your NIS account) and make the CC charge in USD. This way is the best to avoid the CC company ridiculous change rate and rating system (local - USD - NIS).
Old Jun 12, 2006, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by apirchik
You can open a USD back account in any Israeli bank (parallel to your NIS account) and make the CC charge in USD. This way is the best to avoid the CC company ridiculous change rate and rating system (local - USD - NIS).
But I'll still need to convert my NIS salary into USD so I might as well do it in a way that I can earn points/miles with a US card.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 6:19 am

You need to do A LOT of duty free shopping in order to get your miles
Not really. By buying one IBM ThinkPad (at a much lower price than I would have paid in a usual Israeli computer shop) plus $200 worth of cigarettes, I got over 1,100 Starpoints in the last year.

Originally Posted by entropy
hotel bought cokes cost about 500% over the normal price!
Not quite. At the Tel Aviv Sheraton they cost $3.50. In most Tel Aviv bars they run about $2.45.

Still, I am not urging this as a way of getting Starpoints except, as I noted, 11 times in the first year. You will collect 6000 points in bonuses that way (as well as a dollar for each point spent). Total cost: $38.50.

Of course, you can buy those 6038 points directly from Starwood, or at least most of them. It would cost you $300 for 6000 points -- and you don't even get the Cokes.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3.50, that's a bargain

I had a glass of your Yiron the other day at Bugsy, it was very good.

I was a big fan of the DL 50,000 sign up + 50(or 25k) after spending 25k. I only need 7k more of 'fake' spending to get there....

Do you know if there is a card with the milemiglia? if one could manage a good CC 'scam' with them it might be worth it to try for the 80k reward to TLV.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 7:28 am

But I'll still need to convert my NIS salary into USD so I might as well do it in a way that I can earn points/miles with a US card.
You convert your NIS to USD at much better rates this way.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 7:30 am

Not really. By buying one IBM ThinkPad (at a much lower price than I would have paid in a usual Israeli computer shop) plus $200 worth of cigarettes, I got over 1,100 Starpoints in the last year.
No such thing as IBM ThinkPad anymore. They sold the whole product line to Lenovo.

Any laptop would be much cheaper in the USA than in the TLV dutyfree. I would not but a computer directly from the shelf but customize it a little anyway.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 7:34 am

Not quite. At the Tel Aviv Sheraton they cost $3.50. In most Tel Aviv bars they run about $2.45.
You can buy a 1/2 liter coke bottle accross the street from the Sheraton for 5 NIS (about $1.10).
Old Jun 12, 2006, 7:37 am
Original Poster

You can buy a 1/2 liter coke bottle accross the street from the Sheraton for 5 NIS (about $1.10).
How many miles/points do you get for that 1/2 liter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.