Search

Oman opens up the skies

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2023, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AS, BA Silver/OW Sapphire, DL, SQ/*A Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Oman opens up the skies

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle...or-2023-02-23/

This is a mega announcement for LY, countless new opportunities with various Asia & OZ(MEL?) routes, including reduced flight times and fares.

Supposedly, that is equally a meaningful development for other airlines, whether Israeli or not
M60_to_LGA and eugnk like this.

Last edited by Doors Closing; Feb 24, 2023 at 5:30 pm
Old Feb 23, 2023, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
This is great news! This should facilitate a lot of interesting new routes - although perhaps mostly not for LY, given their management issues. Still, hopefully this means LY will finally get the Tokyo route off the ground.

I assume we'll see more flights to India and Thailand, and maybe get Colombo in there as well, given the potential tourist demand.

I believe there were rumors before covid that Singapore Airlines was considering flying to Israel; now would be a propitious moment to dust off those plans. This would seem to make Australia flights doable - although I'd bet Qantas is better able to capitalize on that opportunity than LY. Maybe we'll see Manila from Philippine Airlines?

I'd personally love to see TPE added as a destination, but I'm not holding my breath for that.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 8:47 am

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
This is great news! This should facilitate a lot of interesting new routes - although perhaps mostly not for LY, given their management issues. Still, hopefully this means LY will finally get the Tokyo route off the ground.

I assume we'll see more flights to India and Thailand, and maybe get Colombo in there as well, given the potential tourist demand.

I believe there were rumors before covid that Singapore Airlines was considering flying to Israel; now would be a propitious moment to dust off those plans. This would seem to make Australia flights doable - although I'd bet Qantas is better able to capitalize on that opportunity than LY. Maybe we'll see Manila from Philippine Airlines?

I'd personally love to see TPE added as a destination, but I'm not holding my breath for that.
This development is irrelevant to the Tokyo flights, they'll still use the norther route over Turkey. Flying the southern route is far longer.

Singapore would probably do well in the TLV market, but the main blocker there is Indonesia. Indonesia will not allow overflight if the destination or origin in Israel.

More flights to India seems quite possible. Bangalore and Goa come to mind.

Sri Lanka seems like a good possibility as well, I could totally see Sri Lankan Airlines operating 3 - 5 weekly.

The Philippines has been long rumored, but never actually materializes. I'm sure there are a number of commercial reasons why, but it does indeed seem like an obvious hole to fill in TLV's route network.

Finally, Australia. Either LY or QF could make MEL work. I think it might actually be preferable for LY to operate the route & codeshare with QF for onward connections in Australia & south pacific. The issue a route like that will face is the myriad of 1-stop options available via DXB & AUH. LY will not be able to match EK's or EY's pricing if a bidding war were to break out. Still, I think there is enough demand there that if things are structured correctly the Kangaroo Route could work well!
Old Mar 5, 2023, 4:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rafi2k6
This development is irrelevant to the Tokyo flights, they'll still use the norther route over Turkey. Flying the southern route is far longer.

Singapore would probably do well in the TLV market, but the main blocker there is Indonesia. Indonesia will not allow overflight if the destination or origin in Israel.

More flights to India seems quite possible. Bangalore and Goa come to mind.

Sri Lanka seems like a good possibility as well, I could totally see Sri Lankan Airlines operating 3 - 5 weekly.

The Philippines has been long rumored, but never actually materializes. I'm sure there are a number of commercial reasons why, but it does indeed seem like an obvious hole to fill in TLV's route network.

Finally, Australia. Either LY or QF could make MEL work. I think it might actually be preferable for LY to operate the route & codeshare with QF for onward connections in Australia & south pacific. The issue a route like that will face is the myriad of 1-stop options available via DXB & AUH. LY will not be able to match EK's or EY's pricing if a bidding war were to break out. Still, I think there is enough demand there that if things are structured correctly the Kangaroo Route could work well!
LY talked about TLV MEL service:

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...urne-australia

But is that the best use of a 787, given shorter flight routes mean more seats can be sold each week than with a much longer flight route.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 6:36 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Agree that this likely has little impact on Japan or TPE.

Curious how/why Sri Lanka would justify 3-5 per week versus 2 for tourists during holiday seasons?
Old Mar 6, 2023, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Agree that this likely has little impact on Japan or TPE.

Curious how/why Sri Lanka would justify 3-5 per week versus 2 for tourists during holiday seasons?
There are a lot of Sri Lankan nationals in Israel (we hired one to take care of my grandmother, she was lovely) and a lot of potential for tourism in both directions.
Sri Lanka's economy is largely based on agriculture, an area that Israel has expertise in and could help optimize there.
The textile trade is also a huge economic driver in Sri Lanka, and heaven Israelis love shopping...

So those factors combined with tourism, I think that 3 to 5 weekly frequencies could work between Tel Aviv & Colombo.
The route would have to be served by EL AL's 787's or Sri Lankan's A321 NEO's. Probably better suited to the NEO unless LY can fill the cargo hold on a Dreamliner.
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AS, BA Silver/OW Sapphire, DL, SQ/*A Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
And LY to MEL it is:

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...urne-australia
Old May 25, 2023, 7:27 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
Philippine Airlines actually ran direct for the winter 2022 season so that’s been done and dusted. Didn’t continue into 2023 though.
Old May 25, 2023, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Doors Closing
That's an interesting article, and this bit jumped out at me:

Weiss says that while most of El Al’s Melbourne-based passengers on the three test flights conducted in 2020 ended their journey at Tel Aviv, an on-going scheduled service would realise the city’s role as a connecting hub to the rest of Europe.“El Al offers many, many destinations in Europe, most of them on a double daily basis, and Ben Gurion Airport has a very smooth connecting process.”
So LY is trying to make TLV an international connecting hub? How does that work given the security screening issues? Also, what is this "very smooth connecting process" we're talking about here? From everything I've read, including on FT, there's just about no connecting process at TLV at all.

Am I alone in thinking this is a pipe dream?
Old May 26, 2023, 4:18 am

I don't believe international transfers are possible at TLV. And even when they were possible, pre-Covid, they were the opposite of "smooth", let alone "very smooth".

Shuly
Old Jul 18, 2023, 8:55 pm

4X-ECF taking the long way today as LY87 - probably denied access by Muscat FIR
Old Jul 18, 2023, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Springyboy

4X-ECF taking the long way today as LY87 - probably denied access by Muscat FIR
Very strange.
LY-81 took the direct route.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 4:38 pm

LY overflies Somalia now? How does that work?
Old Jul 19, 2023, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
LY overflies Somalia now? How does that work?
Somaliland and Somalia’s leaders had been warming up to Netanyahu for quite some time. They wanted included in the 2020 deals following from the 2018 meeting between Netanyahu and the then-Sultan of Oman, but the US Admin at the time didn’t like the optics of that. The US Admin now, via the Emiratis and Saudis, are more comfortable with a public warming of relations between the Somali majority parts on the Horn and Israel. This flying may be a sign of that, if it is an accurate representation of the flight path. The USAF in nearby Djibouti also goes flying around there.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Somaliland and Somalia’s leaders had been warming up to Netanyahu for quite some time. They wanted included in the 2020 deals following from the 2018 meeting between Netanyahu and the then-Sultan of Oman, but the US Admin at the time didn’t like the optics of that. The US Admin now, via the Emiratis and Saudis, are more comfortable with a public warming of relations between the Somali majority parts on the Horn and Israel. This flying may be a sign of that, if it is an accurate representation of the flight path. The USAF in nearby Djibouti also goes flying around there.
Who even controls the airspace in Somalia? Looking at the Mogadishu airport's Wikipedia page, there seem to be several legitimate airlines that fly there - including TK and Qatar. I guess there's some form of coordination between Mogadishu, Somaliland, and the ICAO to make this possible, then?

I guess I thought that Somalia was off-limits for overflights pretty much across the board, but apparently not!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.