Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

If Saudi airspace opens up... how do you think LY will react?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2022, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, AC

I realize I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here, but since it's being widely reported both in Israel and the US that Saudi will open up its airspace to all flights to and from Israel, what does that mean for LY? Both good and bad?

On the plus side, it means LY's flights to India can get a lot shorter, which should make them cheaper and more competitive.

I assume Tokyo will actually get off the ground now, and perhaps we'll see China/Hong Kong flights back on the schedule - although I guess that has more to do with China's covid policies than anything else.

Otherwise, would this facilitate opening up any new routes to the east? Manila, given all the foreign workers? Taipei for the tech/military trade? Sydney?

And of course, on the negative side (for LY at least), this could lead to greater competition from East Asian carriers. I'm sure there's a not-insignificant number of Israelis who would much prefer to fly on an airline like Cathay or JAL than LY all things being equal, and if Israel starts to see more of those carriers arrive, it won't be great news for LY. Although that eastward traffic isn't going on LY now, so maybe it's a wash.

If this happens, it seems like it would open up a lot of new travel possibilities. It's fun to think of what they might be.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

יאללה

I'm going to seriously consider buying a ticket on the first TLV-TYO or TLV-TPE flights, assuming they ever happen.
N830MH likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:30 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
יאללה

I'm going to seriously consider buying a ticket on the first TLV-TYO or TLV-TPE flights, assuming they ever happen.
Opening KSA to LY doesn’t shorten the flight for TYO. LY would anyway go north and not south. TPE is a borderline case. It will help with MUM and BKK/HKT.
Remember that LY still cannot fly over Iraq, Iran and Pakistan.

Last edited by flyerby; Jul 14, 2022 at 10:22 pm
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerby
Opening KSA to LY doesn’t shorten the flight for TYO. LY would anyway go north and not south. TPE is boarder line case. It will help with MUM and BKK/HKT.
Remember that LY still cannot fly over Iraq, Iran and Pakistan.
When you say go north to Tokyo, do you mean essentially up through Turkey and then over the Stans? I guess that would work too. It does look like a route to TPE could work via Jordan/Saudi/Oman, then crossing the water south of Pakistan and heading east over India. I would love that route but have no idea whether LY would be able to make it work. My guess is EVA would probably be more likely to start it, though.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:46 pm

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
LY isn't really positioned to launch any significant expansion plans to Asia.
It will make their Mumbai & Bangkok services more profitable though.

I suppose they could analyse flights to Australia, but that's a loooooong way to go, even for a 787-9. It would not be able to make the trip without a payload hit.

If Indonesia and Malaysia allow LY overflight permission, we may see them attempt Singapore and Manilla flights at some point, but I think their priority would be to launch the long-awaited route to Tokyo before trying other markets.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 2:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
When you say go north to Tokyo, do you mean essentially up through Turkey and then over the Stans?
That's how El Al flew to Beijing before the route was suspended due to Covid.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Here's a JPost article on the flight time savings:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/saudi-...ime-and-money/

I notice they say that Israel doesn't have rights to overfly Oman - but I very clearly remember that a few years back Oman did in fact give those rights (at least according to Netanyahu, which - okay):

https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/ne...irspace-573942
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:26 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

I notice they say that Israel doesn't have rights to overfly Oman - but I very clearly remember that a few years back Oman did in fact give those rights (at least according to Netanyahu, which - okay):
Israeli airliners to fly over Sudan and Oman as Netanyahu courts ex-foe
10 December 2018

In October, Netanyahu made a surprise visit to Oman, a Gulf state that does not formally recognise Israel. Netanyahu said on Monday that Omani leader Sultan Qaboos has also agreed to overflights by Israeli airline El Al.

Old Jul 17, 2022, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Looks like MS3085 flew TLV-JED on Friday. Assume it was the press plane for Biden visit.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

More info about possible new flights:

This sounds interesting:

Similarly, Arkia said it planned to start flights to Goa, India, in November and was considering new destinations such as Thailand and Sri Lanka using Airbus A321neoLR aircraft.
I can see Arkia going after leisure destinations in Asia, but Sri Lanka? The country is currently in meltdown. I don't see that being a viable destination anytime soon.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Did anyone else notice this post on LinkedIn by EL AL?

Interesting that they specifically mention Australia in the post.
Maybe that is an indication that Melbourne or Sydney service is something they do intend on launching.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:44 am

יאללה

None will overfly KSA. The most economical route is still the northern one.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BATLV
None will overfly KSA. The most economical route is still the northern one.
The article I posted above indicates that LY would be looking to fly over Arabia to get to Japan.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:26 pm

The article I posted above indicates that LY would be looking to fly over Arabia to get to Japan.
The northern route, bypassing Syria and Iran, is shorter by approximately 700 than the southern route, bypassing Iran, Pakistan and Malaysia.

eugnk likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Why would they want to do that when Syria, Iraq (save the Kurds), Iran, Afghanistan, and Pakistan (for now) are off limits? Is Kazakhstan and Mongolia a problem? Given the shape of our planet, a little diversion to avoid Russia on the north way to TYO can’t be as much out of the way as going for a more equatorial routing to go from TLV to TYO.

China has no issues with LY flights flying over it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.