Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

OT but need to vent: Worst kosher meals ever on United to/from TLV

Old May 17, 22, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

After doing a TLV-US-TLV run via United business ("Polaris"), I can honestly say they have the absolute worst kosher meals I've had on a plane in 40 years of frequent traveling. The dinner (Regal Meals) consisted of dry inedible turkey slices; the breakfast of some kind of unrecognizable reconstituted egg dish. I'm letting United know, and asking others who've had similar experiences to do the same. Hopefully next time I fly, El Al will have returned to "normal" - whatever that may mean.
Old May 18, 22, 1:54 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
It is interesting that "Regal" are actually part of Borenstein, and owned by EL AL. I have no evidence for this, but I have often suspected that they deliberately provide a lower grade of meals to "other" airlines in order to promote travel with EL AL, for whom they provide better meals. I know for a fact that catering managers in other airlines have met with them and have not managed to get them to improve their offering (even for First Class).
Old May 18, 22, 2:32 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
LY food from the US to Israel is far from good, the level is much lower than Israel --> US
Old May 18, 22, 3:18 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Houminer View Post
LY food from the US to Israel is far from good, the level is much lower than Israel --> US
Interesting. Years ago, flying in F on EL AL got really good food (at least for an airline) from New York. But other airlines supplied from the same producer could not get better meals even if they were prepared to pay for them. I was told this by a senior executive at one such airline. Maybe even EL AL have gone downhill now ...
Old May 18, 22, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Re United Regal/Borenstein perhaps repeated "naming and shaming" will make a difference, although the execs will probably realize that inedible meals are not deal-breakers for business flyers, particularly under current conditions. Business was full without upgrades on the TLV-SFO-TLV run recently. Hope LY will revive that route soon (at least 1/week).
Re El Al business meals, they were good on my flight out of Toronto a few months ago. Haven't flown LY from NY or Miami in 2+ years. TBC.
​​​​​
Old May 21, 22, 5:01 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Tlvyyz View Post
After doing a TLV-US-TLV run via United business ("Polaris"), I can honestly say they have the absolute worst kosher meals I've had on a plane in 40 years of frequent traveling. The dinner (Regal Meals) consisted of dry inedible turkey slices; the breakfast of some kind of unrecognizable reconstituted egg dish. I'm letting United know, and asking others who've had similar experiences to do the same. Hopefully next time I fly, El Al will have returned to "normal" - whatever that may mean.
Umm, i assume this was not to/from EWR? I just flew in premium classes TLV-EWR and back and the meals from EWR were excellent and were catered by Fresko and not by Regal/Borenstein.
Old May 21, 22, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nombody View Post
Umm, i assume this was not to/from EWR? I just flew in premium classes TLV-EWR and back and the meals from EWR were excellent and were catered by Fresko and not by Regal/Borenstein.
Correct - not EWR (it was SFO). Interesting. Why does United use different caterers?
Old May 22, 22, 8:36 am

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
I'll be flying UA in Business from EWR the end of June with a mid-July return. My kosher meal expectation is very low but will report. Best kosher meals I've had on a plane were on BA from Hermolis, but this was pre-pandemic so no telling how things are now. In a way, I hope the meals are bad so that I can complain and get some UA points to shut me up.
Old May 22, 22, 10:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tlvyyz View Post
Correct - not EWR (it was SFO). Interesting. Why does United use different caterers?
Freshko is fresh meals and is NJ based. You cant get fresh meals in SFO as in many other locations its a frozen meal, could be Freshko doesnt make frozen meals. 2nd they dont have near the # of requests for KSML except out of EWR
Old May 23, 22, 2:15 am

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by Houminer View Post
I flew BC from LAX-TLV and they ran out of meat meals and offered me chicken instead.
Old May 23, 22, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hnussbacher View Post
I flew BC from LAX-TLV and they ran out of meat meals and offered me chicken instead.
United TLV-SFO-TLV business (Regal kosher) had choice between soggy tasteless fish and inedible turkey slices. Breakfast was some powered egg concoction and desiccated croissant. Looked like they spent more on the 12 layers of wrapping than on the food. I ate yogurt and applesauce OU-D from the standard meal.

Search this Thread