Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Frustrating experience at Dan lounge TLV

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frustrating experience at Dan lounge TLV

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2022, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by makin'miles
Both oneworld and Star Alliance have more than enough TLV traffic to support a lounge (even an alliance one). If there's an exclusive agreement with Dan, my question would be why... (and I wouldn't expect the answer to necessarily be very kosher, shall we say). The Dan lounges are broadly garbage, and I bet the airlines pay above average rates for them, as they're the only game in town... IAA should absolutely provide the space to another operator.
Star Alliance now accounts for a similar proportion of traffic at TLV as LY - with all *A flights from T3 (some LY flights depart T1). Therefore the case for a *A lounge or a group airline to open a lounge seems strong - TK, UA, and LH group seem to each have enough flights to sustain a lounge. Seems like LH has downgraded TLV's importance in recent years, but UA have clearly upgraded it, as have TK. Would seem to make sense, and with the Dan lounge in E seemingly closed forever, it could provide an opportunity. Maybe it's not high enough on anyone's priority list...
Old Jun 19, 2022, 1:20 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
The problem is the IAA (airport authority), which is run for the benefit of it's (permanent) employees, not the passengers. They charge DAN a pretty penny for the space, and have no incentive to change or improve anything in the paxex. They had to be forced by legislation I understand to allow competition in food and beverage sales and to set maximum prices for food and drink.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:38 pm

I cannot see any alliance really investing when you have an airport that does not serve as a transit airport. I rarely get to TLV with enough time to enjoy the lounge. Not really one of those airports where one needs to arrive early. It is generally (not now) quite efficient. As someone who flys 5-6 times a year, I am fine with the lousy Dan lounge. To me, lounges are really only important when I am transiting...
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by daisyatl
I cannot see any alliance really investing when you have an airport that does not serve as a transit airport. I rarely get to TLV with enough time to enjoy the lounge. Not really one of those airports where one needs to arrive early. It is generally (not now) quite efficient. As someone who flys 5-6 times a year, I am fine with the lousy Dan lounge. To me, lounges are really only important when I am transiting...
I’d argue that actually TLV is a very good candidate airport for a good lounge because so many fliers arrive early to go through the stricter security procedures that are necessary for departing Israel. This may leave many of them with more time in a lounge than in most airport situations where O&D flights are more popular than connections.
MSPeconomist and eugnk like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:33 am

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
I was in Dan Lounge this past Friday. Lounge in concourse B closed leaving only the C lounge. I had a much nicer lounge experience in Entebbe, Uganda. that's not saying much. Crowded, minimal food, 3 unisex stalls, one of which was closed for cleaning. Wife had returned to US several days earlier and she reported worse... only one of the stalls was operational. Really shameful. When flying LY, I have only had great experiences in King David Lounge.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: LH SENATOR
The lounge offerng at TLV for non LY passengers is a absolute disgrae. It would really help if Star Alliance and others would start operating their own lounges as what is on offer now is one of the worst globally.
salut0 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Wow, and I was considering spending the night in the lounge as my flight departs 4:50am and it didnt seem like a hotel would be worth it. Guess not

Last edited by eng3; Aug 1, 2022 at 7:19 pm
Old Aug 2, 2022, 3:40 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by eng3
Wow, and I was considering spending the night in the lounge as my flight departs 4:50am and it didnt seem like a hotel would be worth it. Guess not
With that timed flight, with checked luggage and as a non-Israeli,I would leave TLV around 01:30 and Jerusalem around 1am. I wouldn't bother booking an extra night, just leave your bags at the Hotel storage, go out have a nice meal; couple of pints and before you know it it will be midnight.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by davidcamp6
With that timed flight, with checked luggage and as a non-Israeli,I would leave TLV around 01:30 and Jerusalem around 1am. I wouldn't bother booking an extra night, just leave your bags at the Hotel storage, go out have a nice meal; couple of pints and before you know it it will be midnight.
I would leave earlier. Colleague just told me it took him 3 hours of queing and security to get to the gate. I got to airport 3.5 hours before flight (at 2300) but was one of the last to board...
Old Aug 3, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by 2035
I would leave earlier. Colleague just told me it took him 3 hours of queing and security to get to the gate. I got to airport 3.5 hours before flight (at 2300) but was one of the last to board...
ok good to know.

no checked bag planned

I assume they have no type of priority lane (ie. star gold)
Old Aug 3, 2022, 11:34 am

ok good to know.

no checked bag planned

If no checked bag, and you manage to check in online - go to area W, queue will be much shorter.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 12:27 pm

ok good to know.

no checked bag planned

No but go to area W for the security interview as outlined above. It will save a lot of time, if you are flying on a Saturday morning, even more, because their will be no LY flights.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:46 pm

No but go to area W for the security interview as outlined above. It will save a lot of time, if you are flying on a Saturday morning, even more, because their will be no LY flights.
ok. Does that mean I don't need to arrive 3hrs early?
I will have a carry on bag with my though.
I will be traveling on a weekday
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:55 pm

ok. Does that mean I don't need to arrive 3hrs early?
I will have a carry on bag with my though.
I will be traveling on a weekday
TLV is busy that time of the morning, if in doubt get there three hours before, for half an hour difference in these times with short staffing its not worth missing your flight. I am not a lounge lizard and as such just go and buy fags and am prepared to go straight to the gate, also if I miss my flight I am not facing a transatlantic journey ( I would just hop onto a flight to LCA or elsewhere in Europe and then fly to LHR).
Old Aug 3, 2022, 3:22 pm

TLV is busy that time of the morning, if in doubt get there three hours before, for half an hour difference in these times with short staffing its not worth missing your flight. I am not a lounge lizard and as such just go and buy fags and am prepared to go straight to the gate, also if I miss my flight I am not facing a transatlantic journey ( I would just hop onto a flight to LCA or elsewhere in Europe and then fly to LHR).
Actually, my flight is to BRU and then connecting to the US. Anyways, I'll plan to get there 3hrs before. It doesnt sound like it matters much if I miss going to the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.