Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

OT: When is Israel likely to open its borders?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: When is Israel likely to open its borders?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2021, 1:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
Now that Israel has 50+% of their population fully vaccinated, has anyone heard any rumblings of when Israel may reopen their borders? I've seen articles that the Israeli tourism industry is revving up, but nothing so far about the border itself... I'm hoping to visit a friend there later this year, if possible
The border is open now for Israeli citizens but not for others. It is not a question of how much of the Israeli population is fully vaccinated but rather what percentage of a particular country is.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Dovster
The border is open now for Israeli citizens but not for others. It is not a question of how much of the Israeli population is fully vaccinated but rather what percentage of a particular country is.
What's your guess as to when the border will be open for US citizens? I'm now fully vaccinated as of Friday, and I'm planning on being in Israel as of the last week of July. I assume that should be sababa, right? Do you have any reason to think differently based on what you're hearing on the ground?
Old Apr 5, 2021, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
What's your guess as to when the border will be open for US citizens? I'm now fully vaccinated as of Friday, and I'm planning on being in Israel as of the last week of July. I assume that should be sababa, right? Do you have any reason to think differently based on what you're hearing on the ground?
I honestly have no idea. Right now, despite what the law says, even non-Israelis with humanitarian needs (such as visiting a 95-year-old mother or attending a child's wedding) are not being allowed to enter the country.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Another one hoping it will open soon to vaccinated Americans.

I have a wedding to attend and family to visit!
Old Apr 5, 2021, 10:02 am

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles

Olim stage protest outside Knesset against restrictions on family entry

https://www.jpost.com/aliyah/olim-stage-protest-outside-knesset-against-restrictions-on-family-entry-664155
Old Apr 5, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I just bought tiks for family to come from Germany on July 14. Just need to have patience and see what plays out.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by hnussbacher
I just bought tiks for family to come from Germany on July 14. Just need to have patience and see what plays out.
It was announced today that if a foreigner has a very close relative in Israel (immediate family) he can enter the country upon providing proof of having been immunized.

https://www.jpost.com/aliyah/family-...-israel-664270

Regulations for allowing non-Israelis to visit their family members in Israel were changed Tuesday morning by the Population and Immigration Authority to permit those with a first-degree relative in Israel to visit the country.
The regulations now state that foreign nationals who are vaccinated against COVID-19, or have recovered from the disease, and who have a first-degree family member who is a citizen or permanent resident of Israel, can visit the country with their spouse or partner and their children.
N830MH likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Dovster
It was announced today that if a foreigner has a very close relative in Israel (immediate family) he can enter the country upon providing proof of having been immunized.

https://www.jpost.com/aliyah/family-...-israel-664270
Thanks for sharing this! I appreciate that.

I hope we will visit Israel again sometime in the future. If they open the borders. If they ever to relax restrictions. All non-Israeli citizen will allowed visit Israel. If they are always welcome to come.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 12:20 pm

Start forming your tourist groups:
https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/...-in-may-665006
Old Apr 13, 2021, 2:12 pm
Suspended

I highly doubt that any new so called group will be let in. Instead they will let the groups that have been established and had various tours thru the years back in. For now at least.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 5:03 pm

I've visited Israel more than 40 times, and I've even been a tour leader for a few smaller groups. But I'm sorry to say that with these rules, you can forget about incoming tourism. The demands are simply too restrictive: 1) Vaccine. 2) Being part of a group. 3) PCR test before boarding. 4) PCR test on arrival. 5) Serological test on arrival.

You also have to add the general problems of tourism in the covid world, such as: 1) Widespread unemployment among prospective travelers. 2) Widespread cancellations of flights. 3) Invalid travel insurances. 4) Ever changing transfer and entry rules. 5) The prospect of a quarantine when returning home. 6) The discomfort of traveling with a face mask. 7) The possibility of needing a new PCR test for your flight back home.

All taken together, I believe you'll be able to count on one hand the number of tourist groups that will visit. It reminds me of how Thailand "opened" up for tourism a few months ago.

Unfortunately, it's two years since I was in Israel, and I'd love to bring my family there again, even this summer. But under the circumstances, I'd rather choose Croatia, Turkey, Dubai, Mexico or some other country where I can enter quite freely and rent a car. I really hope that Israel will open for real before the summer of 2022. I know a lot of others that want to visit, too, but not under these circumstances.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by craz
I highly doubt that any new so called group will be let in. Instead they will let the groups that have been established and had various tours thru the years back in. For now at least.
I'm guessing it's for Birthright.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 10:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ELAL Platinum, VS Gold
I think you'll be proven to be wrong.
People have been saving - nothing to spend on since retail has been closed and not holidays for past 12 months.
The government has increased the money supply by over 25% in the various forms including furlough.
people are desperate to visit family.etc.
I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 5 flights per day (LON-TLV) by mid May - ElAl, BA, Virgin, Easyjet, Wizz, Arkia. and possibly others.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Calculated Risk
people are desperate to visit family.etc.
I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 5 flights per day (LON-TLV) by mid May - ElAl, BA, Virgin, Easyjet, Wizz, Arkia. and possibly others.
Will people who are desperate to visit their family in Ashdod join a tour group with seven full days of touring in Jerusalem, the Dead Sea and Galilee? The JPost article said that they chose tour groups because "they are easier to monitor," meaning that they won't allow the participants to leave the group. You'll have to stick to the group, meaning Mt of Olives, Yad Vashem, Israel Museum, Masada, Ein Gedi, Tel Dan, Zafed, etc. There won't be any time for seeing your family.

There may be flights, but it won't be incoming tour groups on those flights.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by RedChili
The JPost article said that they chose tour groups because "they are easier to monitor," meaning that they won't allow the participants to leave the group. You'll have to stick to the group, .
Why I'm thinking it's for Birthright. I think they're required to stay with group at all times.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.