Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

OT: When is Israel likely to open its borders?

OT: When is Israel likely to open its borders?

Old Feb 20, 2022, 9:10 am

. New rules announced.
https://chaimvchessed.com/updates/sk...inally-reopen/
The cabinet issued the following rulings, which will take effect on March 1.
  1. All tourists will be permitted to enter Israel, regardless of vaccination or recovery.
  2. Pre-flight Covid tests for Israeli travelers flying to Israel will no longer be required.
  3. Non-Israelis will be required to present a negative Covid test prior to travel to Israel. It is unclear what the quarantine requirements for unvaccinated foreigners will be.
  4. All passengers (Israeli and foreign) will be required to undergo a Covid test upon arrival at Ben Gurion airport.
  5. Unvaccinated Israeli citizens entering Israel will no longer require full quarantine. They will need to quarantine only until receiving negative Covid results from their airport test.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
Wonderful. I hope before I arrive the end of June they eliminate the covid test on arrival or at the very least change it to antigen on arrival.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by nsoltz
Wonderful. I hope before I arrive the end of June they eliminate the covid test on arrival or at the very least change it to antigen on arrival.
They are starting a rapid PCR on arrival. Opening a possibiility of short day trips to Israel.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
Will be in Israel 3 weeks this trip so hopefully that rapid PCR will be operational and will only have to quarantine a few hours by the time we get to Jerusalem from TLV
Old Feb 27, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Shalom. I am flying SEA-ORD-HEL March 2nd (28 hour layover) then HEL-TLV March 4th. Since the rules are changing March 1st, I am unsure what tests I need. I am a U.S. passport holder, and fully vaccinated since July 2021. If I get a PCR test the day before I leave to Israel in Seattle (Mar 1) it will be past the 72 hour mark by the time I arrive in TLV.

I dont think I can get a PCR test in HEL as I arrive 2:15pm March 3rd, and depart 7:30pm March 4th the next day. Do I need to get an antigen test in Helsinki to be able to enter Israel? Does Israel accept antigen tests? Otherwise I am not sure how I can make this work if at all?
Old Feb 27, 2022, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by momoflyingguy
Can you present a negative antigen test to fly to Israel or does it have to be a PCR test to board a flight to TLV?
Old Feb 27, 2022, 11:21 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Can you present a negative antigen test to fly to Israel or does it have to be a PCR test to board a flight to TLV?
From DansDeals:
  • Students and tourists will continue to have to submit a negative PCR from within 72 hours. Israel will no longer accept negative antigen results. However Israel will accept positive PCR or antigen test results, even from the US, that were taken within 8-90 days of travel, in lieu of a negative PCR test.
  • Everyone will be subject to a PCR upon landing and will have to quarantine for 24 hours or until you get negative test results, whichever comes first.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
From DansDeals:
How does the process work when you pay the 80 shekels to get the PCR test upon landing? Do you get it before customs and then proceed directly to where you are staying? Or... ?
Old Mar 1, 2022, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
The informtion on the government website seems to contradict itself:

Under "isolation" it says that isolation ends on day 7, while under "isolation hotel" it says "two weeks".

Can anyone confirm how long one has to stay at the "managed isolation hotel" in the event of testing positive upon arrival?
Old Mar 1, 2022, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
The informtion on the government website seems to contradict itself:

Under "isolation" it says that isolation ends on day 7, while under "isolation hotel" it says "two weeks".

Can anyone confirm how long one has to stay at the "managed isolation hotel" in the event of testing positive upon arrival?
According to someone who recently got back (but before this March 1st policy) you get an email usually within 4 hours of your PCR test upon arrival at Ben-Gurion and then (assuming its negative) you were free and out of quarantine jail.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:25 pm

Finnair wont let me board without a green pass. How do I get this?? Is it still required? Is that whats on the bottom of my entry statement

Last edited by NWplatinum; Mar 1, 2022 at 6:33 pm
Old Mar 1, 2022, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA MM
Finnair wont let me board without a green pass. How do I get this?? Is it still required? Is that whats on the bottom of my entry statement
Did you fill out the Israel entry form?

https://www.gov.il/en/service/reques...israel-covid19
Old Mar 1, 2022, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Did you fill out the Israel entry form?

https://www.gov.il/en/service/reques...israel-covid19
Yes, and had the confirmation email from the Israeli government saying I was allowed to board the flight on that date to enter Israel. They said it wasnt enough, I needed that in addition to the green pass despite me showing them this news article: https://m.jpost.com/health-and-welln...cle-698887/amp

I said can you just read this paragraph:

In addition to the new travel rules, the Green Pass system that has been implemented in one form or another since March 2021 will no longer be operational, except for exceptional circumstances, such as entering a nursing home.

They said well thats not officially from the government, despite every other newspaper saying the same thing. They called Israel. Back and forth for and hour, they finally let me board. They definitely had the old information and I knew it when she asked me for my vaccine card. They were adamant they were not gonna let me go, but she got the name of someone in Israel so they wouldnt get fired if they were wrong.

What a time to travel Since things are changing I would tell people to make sure you can back up your documents.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA MM
Yes, and had the confirmation email from the Israeli government saying I was allowed to board the flight on that date to enter Israel. They said it wasnt enough, I needed that in addition to the green pass despite me showing them this news article: https://m.jpost.com/health-and-welln...cle-698887/amp

I said can you just read this paragraph:

In addition to the new travel rules, the Green Pass system that has been implemented in one form or another since March 2021 will no longer be operational, except for exceptional circumstances, such as entering a nursing home.

They said well thats not officially from the government, despite every other newspaper saying the same thing. They called Israel. Back and forth for and hour, they finally let me board. They definitely had the old information and I knew it when she asked me for my vaccine card. They were adamant they were not gonna let me go, but she got the name of someone in Israel so they wouldnt get fired if they were wrong.

What a time to travel Since things are changing I would tell people to make sure you can back up your documents.
Glad it worked out but the Finnair folks, I think, are doubly wrong. Doesnt Israel only issue the Green Pass after you pass the arrival COVID test at TLV?
Old Mar 2, 2022, 5:20 am

Just arrived in Helsinki. But Im concerned for the next flight. I would assume theyd be a little bit more educated here. Some family friends traveled Iberia before anything was lifted and they were never asked for the green pass.

I have the negative PCR test, and the entry statement email from the Israeli government, a vaccine card, am I missing something?

Last edited by NWplatinum; Mar 2, 2022 at 6:10 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.