Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Business impact of EL AL not flying on the Sabbath

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business impact of EL AL not flying on the Sabbath

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2020, 8:15 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Well said, the Jewish community has a history of ingenuity in circumventing the prohibitions ( not that I imagine building an eruv in the sky) there should be a way around this.
Long Train Runnin likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by nombody
They could work out code-shares with other airline partners so that the partner airline flies the route on Shabbat.

They could use wet-lease for shabbat flights (not the best solution ,as wet lease means it won't really be their product).

They could structure a parent company with two subsidiaries, one that takes the shabbat routes, one that flies the rest of the week. If you segregate the flight crews between the two subsidiaries, that would probably satisfy most objections.

They could sell the company to non-jewish ownership for shabbat - find some block of 15% ownership of the company, and legally structure it that all profits from shabbat flights go to that 15% block and then have that block sold off to non-jewish ownership every shabbat.
They already have codeshare agreements on Shabbat, e.g. with Swiss.

I was under the impression that they already do wet-lease with SunD'Or on Shabbat?

Sun D'Or is the subsidiary that flies on Shabbat.

I don't think it's the ownership but the workers which is the problem. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that Jewish owned hotels in Israel generally rely on Arab workers on Shabbat. Am I mistaken?
Old Jul 6, 2020, 7:39 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by davidcamp6
Well said, the Jewish community has a history of ingenuity in circumventing the prohibitions ( not that I imagine building an eruv in the sky) there should be a way around this.
Strangely, I think this idea may actually eventually happen.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 1:28 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
Strangely, I think this idea may actually eventually happen.
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it won't.

This is not a forum for discussing details of the laws of Shabbat, but any entity which is identifiably Jewish cannot under any circumstances be "sold" to non-Jews for the duration of Shabbat under a revenue-splitting arrangement. Such arrangements (or "ingenuity: as you call it) can only be used for entities which are not identifiably Jewish. Somehow, that does seem to be the case with EL AL.
awayIgo likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by mikebg
It any entity which is identifiably Jewish cannot under any circumstances be "sold" to non-Jews for the duration of Shabbat under a revenue-splitting arrangement. Such arrangements (or "ingenuity: as you call it) can only be used for entities which are not identifiably Jewish.
It'll be like chametz on pesach -- sell the company on friday afternoon, buy it back Saturday night. What could go wrong?
Old Jul 7, 2020, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
It'll be like chametz on pesach -- sell the company on friday afternoon, buy it back Saturday night. What could go wrong?
Except that the selling of chametz is based on a biblical command of ownership, "the first day ye shall put away leaven out of your houses," while the Shabbat commandment is about physical labor, "in it thou shalt not do any manner of work." There's no prohibition of owning a business which employs Gentiles to work on Shabbat, and there's no permission to conduct physical work on Shabbat if you're employed by a business owned by Gentiles.

Selling El Al on Shabbat doesn't solve the problem. Employing only Arab pilots and cabin crew to work the Shabbat flights would solve the problem.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by RedChili
. Employing only Arab pilots and cabin crew to work the Shabbat flights would solve the problem.
Plan!
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by RedChili
Selling El Al on Shabbat doesn't solve the problem. Employing only Arab pilots and cabin crew to work the Shabbat flights would solve the problem.
Considering the typical pilot behavior around strikes etc, it sounds like hiring foreign pilots is a good plan irrespective of flying on Shabbat or not...
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
Considering the typical pilot behavior around strikes etc, it sounds like hiring foreign pilots is a good plan irrespective of flying on Shabbat or not...
I could be wrong but I remember seeing this behavior across pilots from most western countries.. AF, LH, AZ
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:48 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
I you would have read my post (which you even quoted) you would have seen that .... everything would go wrong. In short: it just doesn't work! These issues have been discussed for centuries, and there is a vast volume of material on the subject. Just to remind you, what I said was: "any entity which is identifiably Jewish cannot under any circumstances be "sold" to non-Jews for the duration of Shabbat under a revenue-splitting arrangement. Such arrangements (or "ingenuity: as you call it) can only be used for entities which are not identifiably Jewish. Somehow, that does seem to be the case with EL AL."
awayIgo likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
they should employ a cadre of Druze and Christian pilots & FA; no problem.

If they do take the opportunity to rid themselves of the excess baggage on the management side, they have a great future ahead of them, barring of course United eating their lunch to north america. I don't really see LY being terribly competitive or effective outside NY. Post-COVID, United will be serving TLV from EWR/ORD/SFO/IAD and in the probably future LAX.. so we'll see.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 12:02 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I you would have read my post (which you even quoted) you would have seen that .... everything would go wrong. In short: it just doesn't work! These issues have been discussed for centuries, and there is a vast volume of material on the subject. Just to remind you, what I said was: "any entity which is identifiably Jewish cannot under any circumstances be "sold" to non-Jews for the duration of Shabbat under a revenue-splitting arrangement. Such arrangements (or "ingenuity: as you call it) can only be used for entities which are not identifiably Jewish. Somehow, that does seem to be the case with EL AL."
Can you expound on the “somehow”? How would that not change if it were owned by non-Jews? The government could easily sell the airline to non-Jews after a reorganization. Same livery. Same cater. Same everything, but majority shareholder is someone like Berkshire Hathaway or KKR or the Singapore sovereign wealth fund. Would that make a difference?

The beauty of discussing things for centuries is that over those centuries there is evolution and changes in our understandings.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Can you expound on the “somehow”? How would that not change if it were owned by non-Jews? The government could easily sell the airline to non-Jews after a reorganization. Same livery. Same cater. Same everything, but majority shareholder is someone like Berkshire Hathaway or KKR or the Singapore sovereign wealth fund. Would that make a difference?

The beauty of discussing things for centuries is that over those centuries there is evolution and changes in our understandings.
You raise an interesting question. If the majority shareholders were not Jewish, AND the government did not have a "golden share", AND the majority of the crews and pilots were not Jewish, then there would be room to argue that there would be no problem for the airline to fly on Shabbat. Would that still be EL AL though?
Old Jul 10, 2020, 5:52 am

You raise an interesting question. If the majority shareholders were not Jewish, AND the government did not have a "golden share", AND the majority of the crews and pilots were not Jewish, then there would be room to argue that there would be no problem for the airline to fly on Shabbat. Would that still be EL AL though?

IMO it wouldn’t be ElAl and wouldn’t be an Israeli National airline - which the country NEEDS.Once it’s just someone’s business investment it can be closed,if,not working correctly.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 6:39 am

Bump.

This reminds me of Litzman stepping down due to hilul shabbat. And of a big supermarket chain losing huge money for being opening on shabbat. IMO Elal have seen and learnt.

Last edited by momoflyingguy; Aug 27, 2020 at 6:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.