Elal refunds and credits

Old May 12, 2020, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Elal refunds and credits

I have Elal flights at the end of June and in mid-August. Already paid for. $5200.
Now that Elal has secured a gov't loan - what is the current policy for pax cancelled tickets?
If Elal cancels the flight will I be entitled to a full refund? Or if they cancel will I only be entitled to a credit?
If a credit, for how long is the credit valid?

Idea for Elal: if you want pax to accept credit rather than a refund - you should update the Matmid site so that a pax can see exactly how much credit they have and when it expires. That will make it much easier for people to accept a credit and not demand a refund.
Old May 13, 2020, 12:37 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
In theory, you'd be entitled to a refund if the flight is cancelled. In practice, LY isn't processing refunds now and won't be doing so at least until they bring their staff back. That being said, they've worded the message fairly vaguely, so I wouldn't bank on seeing that money again. I'd say your best hopes are one of the following:
1) For the flights to cancel and you initiate a chargeback with your credit card
2) For the flights to operate and to fly on them. Seems unlikely, though.
Old May 13, 2020, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by hnussbacher
Now that Elal has secured a gov't loan - what is the current policy for pax cancelled tickets?
It's not a government loan but rather a bank loan with the government securing part of it, but nothing is final yet.

As mentioned, no refunds currently or clear policy.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Airlines in Israel seek extension on refund moratorium
https://en.globes.co.il/en/article-a...ium-1001333257
Old Jul 31, 2020, 2:11 am
Original Poster

So our flights in mid-August to JFK have been cancelled by Elal. But our return flight on Aug 31 (LY004) has been updated and we have received notices (email and SMS) about the updates in regards to the return flight. So should we swim to NYC or try our luck at rail around the world? Any other novel options? More likelihood to get to NYC that way then for Elal to realize their mistake :-)
Old Aug 16, 2020, 12:02 am

Flights in September

I have a ticket to fly on the third of September. How much longer is it worth waiting for El Al to announce if it is cancelling the flight vs. cancelling on my own and eating the cancellation fee?
Old Aug 16, 2020, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Cancelled flight refunds postponed again

https://en.globes.co.il/en/article-cancelled-flight-refunds-postponed-again-1001339105

"
The total debt to ticket holders is $270 million to date."
Old Aug 16, 2020, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no reason to cancel until the day of the flight. In addition to pandemic matters, flights are also cancelled for the standard reasons such as weather and mechanical. If, on the date of the flight, your flight is still operating without a significant delay, then cancel.

If you are due a refund under the contract terms and it is delayed, file a chargeback with your credit card issuer (bank). Make certain that everything is in writing and all backup documents are supplied with the chargeback request.

Also note that if there happen to be segments to or from the US, you should also file a Complaint with US DOT, supplying the same documents.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JerusalemAsher
I have a ticket to fly on the third of September. How much longer is it worth waiting for El Al to announce if it is cancelling the flight vs. cancelling on my own and eating the cancellation fee?
Elal just cancelled all September flights.
In Hebrew:
https://www.ynet.co.il/economy/article/BkPUgwtGv
Old Aug 19, 2020, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
After seeing this thread, I meandered over to Elal and saw the following post, for US customers only...

https://www.elal.com/en/USA/News/Pag...virus-USA.aspx

More specifically, has anyone used the link below and gotten a refund? Further, what was the response time? Im debating filling this out and if no response in 10 days, dispute the credit charge on my card which dates back to October for an August R/T. We still want to fly on El Al but sounds like this company may not even last.

https://www.elal.com/CancelReservationUsa
Old Aug 31, 2020, 11:27 am

any updates? Has anyone gotten a refund?

The reason I ask, I just saw a severely disabled patient of mine, who works for Aer Lingus in the US, and he's working...adminstering refunds and vouchers for that airline.

Not rocket science to work remotely, El Al.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by the phoenix
any updates? Has anyone gotten a refund?

The reason I ask, I just saw a severely disabled patient of mine, who works for Aer Lingus in the US, and he's working...adminstering refunds and vouchers for that airline.

Not rocket science to work remotely, El Al.
But is EI basically shutdown completely? I know it was LYs choice to shutdown and have no rev flowing in.

I know from the foreign carriers I had tkts on , I didnt get a refund even filing with DOT till they started flying again = had cash flow coming back in.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 7:30 pm

I’m unsure though it seems they flew yesterday. Not completely shutdown.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by the phoenix
I’m unsure though it seems they flew yesterday. Not completely shutdown.
I doubt that anyone was able to purchase a tkt on that lone flight,it charter flight dont know if the Govt paid for it yet or what arrangements are made. I read somewhere that LY owes in the 9 figures for refunds I highly doubt the Govt paid anywhere near that. And any money would go towards their fixed costs 1st
Old Aug 31, 2020, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

The Knesset ratified postponement of refunds to Oct 1, 2020 or 90 days after the intended flight - whichever is later. I have a flight from June 28 which I am waiting for a refund. So I am waiting to see what happens on Oct 1 in regards to my refund.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.