Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ElAl effectively shutdown...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2020, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by shuly
El Al signed an agreement with logistics giant Kuehne+Nagel whereby the airline will operate 150 cargo flights from China to Italy until October (two daily flights). Two of El Al 777s have already been converted to a cargo-only configuration. Returning from Italy (where to? China or Israel? unclear) the flights will go via the UK, France, Germany, the Netherlands and Switzerland. Source: HaAretz (Hebrew)
Shuly
Brilliant move. K&N is the premier pharma and medical equipment logistics provider and with the exorbitant rates being charged for the cargo now, this could be a very, very profitable business deal. IMO EL AL could make more money on these flights that it would have generated from a large part of its passenger operation for that period. It's costing 5-10-20X more to ship medical supplies now. The cargo and logistics companies are making windfall profits, so I expect that El Al just got itself a nice lifeline.

Anyway, there is absolutely no way that the physical asset and talent pool will be allowed to disappear. El AL is essential to national security. Maybe the airline gets restructured. Maybe they call it something else, maybe it gets a bit smaller, but there will always be a national airline. Same as the UK, or Canada or France will always have an national airline. One thing every country has learned from the Covid 19 catastrophe is that core capabilities must be maintained, even at a national cost. An airline, especially for a country like Israel, is a must have asset.
Old May 10, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Important day, and we should learn ElAl's fate by this evening.
Old May 10, 2020, 6:24 am

It seems Elal converted 20 aircraft from pax to cargo
Old May 10, 2020, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by HumbleBee
It seems Elal converted 20 aircraft from pax to cargo
Old May 10, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by clubman
Important day, and we should learn ElAl's fate by this evening.

any news ?
Old May 10, 2020, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by LY777
any news ?
https://www.timesofisrael.com/livebl...-entry-2302910
Old May 10, 2020, 3:37 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
👍
Old May 10, 2020, 4:03 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
More details in ynet (Hebrew).

Some of the conditions include cash infusion by the Borowitz family, which controls El Al, improved cost structure / operating efficiency, agreement of the unions and deferral of aircraft lease and loan payments.
Old May 11, 2020, 4:11 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Further details in Globes
https://en.globes.co.il/en/article-t...rms-1001328055

End of free flights for employees and family.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Just glad Elal is continuing.
I am just a pleased customer and fortunately didn't need them to retrieve me from being stranded in some foreign country.
They will always have my support.
LY777, awayIgo and M60_to_LGA like this.
Old May 11, 2020, 9:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nombody
Further details in Globes
https://en.globes.co.il/en/article-t...rms-1001328055

End of free flights for employees and family.

I can see ending it for former employees and restricting it to how many family members may fly at any given time and further restricting it to a spouse and kids under 18 and how many trips can be taken each year . But like most airlines I dont feel its something that s/b terminated

I understand the govt will only be backing up the loan and not actually giving any money over Yet, but I dont see then loan being repaid if LY isnt flying and making a profit

I fully understand why Israel needs a National carrier but who says it has to be ElAl, I see ElAl simply as a money pit unless everything is revamped from top to bottom and no way is that gona be happening
Old May 13, 2020, 9:02 am

El Al CEO appeals to Netanyahu to lighten the terms

https://www.timesofisrael.com/el-al-...ys-loan-offer/
Old May 14, 2020, 3:47 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by Fly613
In addition to the conversions, they seem to have also invented a new aircraft type - the 787-800
Old May 14, 2020, 6:29 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
. .?. theres a 787-8 and 787-9
Old May 17, 2020, 7:34 am

El Al loses $140 million due to LOW fuel prices

https://www.themarker.com/markets/.premium-1.8850705

Article behind paywall - it seems that El Al has lost potentially some $140 million due to hedges on the price of jet fuel. Since the price has collapsed, El Al has to put down an additional $49 million collateral on the hedges. If the price of jet fuel goes up then the loss can be minimized.

Another hedge on the Libor interest rate will cost El Al another $50 million.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.