Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 impact on EL AL and Israel routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID-19 impact on EL AL and Israel routes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dhacker
We are here for my daughter's bat mitzvah on the 19th. Maybe we can fly home from AMM.
Man it seems like it was just yesterday that we were together in the DC Lounge @ LIM doing the Latin Pass Run, or Volcano Natl Park. LP was 20 yrs ago

A Mazel Tov to you and more important your daughter
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by craz
Man it seems like it was just yesterday that we were together in the DC Lounge @ LIM doing the Latin Pass Run, or Volcano Natl Park. LP was 20 yrs ago

A Mazel Tov to you and more important your daughter
Nice to hear from you! This is our first time in Israel. My daughter is teaching English here for a year through a MASA program and is tentatively planning to make Aliyah over the summer. My nephew moved here a few years ago and owns a store in Yafo.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by dhacker
Nice to hear from you! This is our first time in Israel. My daughter is teaching English here for a year through a MASA program and is tentatively planning to make Aliyah over the summer. My nephew moved here a few years ago and owns a store in Yafo.
If you should find yourself in the Galilee and wish to see what a kibbutz is like, you have an open invitation to visit Yiron -- just send me a PM.
dhacker likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by swested
Absolutely wild. We're truly in unprecedented territory now. If I'm reading this correctly, this basically means that no one will want to enter Israel until further notice, right? I mean, I can't imagine anyone who would want to travel somewhere with a mandatory quarantine...
Yes, I'm looking at this as effectively being a ban but they're just being politically correct about it- they're saying: "you're welcome to come, we're not banning you, you just have to agree to mandatory 14 day quarantine upon arrival". No tourist in their right mind is going to lock themselves up for 2 weeks especially if the entire extent of their trip is that long, let alone if it's less. They will not spend all that time and money to have the wonderful experience of being quarantined, they will just cancel their whole trip.

My family made plans months ago to be in Israel for Passover, as I'm sure did thousands of other people. It doesn't look like anybody will come as people aren't going to travel all that way only to subject themselves to quarantine or to jail time if they violate it.

Would love to hear from people who are still traveling to Israel now even with these severe restrictions in place.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
This is crazy with Passover and Bein Hazmanim coming up...
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by friedablass
Yes, I'm looking at this as effectively being a ban but they're just being politically correct about it- they're saying: "you're welcome to come, we're not banning you, you just have to agree to mandatory 14 day quarantine upon arrival". No tourist in their right mind is going to lock themselves up for 2 weeks especially if the entire extent of their trip is that long, let alone if it's less. They will not spend all that time and money to have the wonderful experience of being quarantined, they will just cancel their whole trip.

My family made plans months ago to be in Israel for Passover, as I'm sure did thousands of other people. It doesn't look like anybody will come as people aren't going to travel all that way only to subject themselves to quarantine or to jail time if they violate it.

Would love to hear from people who are still traveling to Israel now even with these severe restrictions in place.
too early to worry, word was if they see CV spreading then they will do away with the quarantine, since the pt was to prevent it from spreading. #2 is who knows which carriers will restart up again and to what extent, main problem is having where to go here if we end up not getting there
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by craz
too early to worry, word was if they see CV spreading then they will do away with the quarantine, since the pt was to prevent it from spreading. #2 is who knows which carriers will restart up again and to what extent, main problem is having where to go here if we end up not getting there
Direct flights between NYC/TLV are supposedly continuing albeit at a reduced schedule by United and Elal. Dansdeals has a list.

Will prepare to just stay home if we don't go. Still have enough time to prepare for both eventualities.

Last edited by friedablass; Mar 12, 2020 at 8:09 am
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:05 am

All ryanair routes from israel cancelled from the 18th.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA, A3, LY; IHG/IC, Accor
https://www.elal.com/he/about-ELAL/A...a-Feb2020.aspx

I didn't find the above statement in English yet. It details gradual suspension of El Al routes from March 15. El Al flights to Europe (except for Paris and London) will gradually stop by Sunday evening (15-Mar). Dates of last flights to BOS, BOM, SFO, BRU, DME, MIA, LAX are given, spanning from March 15 to March 18.

Additionally it says that constant air connections to the USA, Canada, England, France and South Africa will be kept.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by eugnk

I didn't find the above statement in English yet. It details gradual suspension of El Al routes from March 15. El Al flights to Europe (except for Paris and London) will gradually stop by Sunday evening (15-Mar). Dates of last flights to BOS, BOM, SFO, BRU, DME, MIA, LAX are given, spanning from March 15 to March 18.
I've seen what I'm assuming is a translation of the above somewhere with all the routes and when they are stopping and may potentially resume based on if Israel rescinds their quarantine.

Additionally it says that constant air connections to the USA, Canada, England, France and South Africa will be kept.
My question is which visitors to Israel are going to keep flying there to have themselves subjected to a 14 day quarantine? I'm still waiting to see/hear about any reports thereof from people who are actually flying there starting from arrivals this evening.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:33 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Even as people stop leisure and business travel, there will still be a need for government and medical and other personal to be able to travel. Also, these please carry lots of cargo and will likely carry more with less passenger load.
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Even as people stop leisure and business travel, there will still be a need for government and medical and other personal to be able to travel. Also, these please carry lots of cargo and will likely carry more with less passenger load.
So medical and government personnel will be exempt from the 14 day quarantine? Normally when such type of people travel to a place it is to attend to their tasks immediately, but if they have to quarantine they will have to wait 2 weeks to do so.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:25 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by friedablass
So medical and government personnel will be exempt from the 14 day quarantine? Normally when such type of people travel to a place it is to attend to their tasks immediately, but if they have to quarantine they will have to wait 2 weeks to do so.
I’m working quite well from home. Quarantine would be no different.

The point is that there are still essential personnel and services as well as supplies which need to be moved around the world for various operational purposes.

When the police close a road due to an accident, does that mean ambulances, fire trucks and tow trucks aren’t let through?
friedablass likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:10 am

I didn't find the above statement in English yet..
[EN]:
https://www.elal.com/en/About-ELAL/A...a-Feb2020.aspx
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
I’m working quite well from home. Quarantine would be no different.

The point is that there are still essential personnel and services as well as supplies which need to be moved around the world for various operational purposes.

When the police close a road due to an accident, does that mean ambulances, fire trucks and tow trucks aren’t let through?
Point is well taken. However, if these people can work from home then what would be the point of flying halfway across the world to do that? Obviously if someone needs to physically be at a location it's for a reason of meetings (for government) or attending to patients (for medical). Whatever they can do from quarantine/home there was no reason to fly anywhere for that, they can just stay where they are. I'm guessing cargo will increase on flights to hopefully make up some revenue, whatever it may be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.