Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

What does this say about El Al's LAX flight?

Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold

https://www.anna.aero/2020/01/20/united-airlines-top-20-international-connecting-markets-tel-aviv-lax-1/

United's top international route for connecting passengers is LAX-TLV with about 36000 such passengers each year. The question i have is why are those passengers not taking El Al's nonstop LAX-TLV flight? (Also the question El Al should be asking themselves).
hnussbacher likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:39 pm

Sorry. Don't understand the question. United is a US firm with a massive US network, and this is about connecting passengers out of LAX. El Al is an Israeli firm without a US connecting network. The differences seem obvious.
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Tlvyyz
Sorry. Don't understand the question. United is a US firm with a massive US network, and this is about connecting passengers out of LAX. El Al is an Israeli firm without a US connecting network. The differences seem obvious.
United's biggest connecting passenger route is LAX-TLV - meaning those passengers started in LAX to go TLV and specifically chose United even though that meant connecting somewhere as.opposed to taking El Al's nonstop LAX-TLV flight.
So this has nothing to do with connecting from other starting points where of course United would have an advantage. So why do so many LAX passengers choose united instead of El Al. This is a question that El Al should be asking themselves.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 3:32 am

ok,
35900 pax a year from LAX -to TLV two ways combine
lets divide this in 2 so that's 17,950
each day united have 49 pax originating from LAX going to TLV..
ELAL has up to 5 flights a week with 280 pax non stop from LAX , most of them full and most of the PAX from LA.
for me it seems ELAL is doing it right
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by mukmuky
ok,
35900 pax a year from LAX -to TLV two ways combine
lets divide this in 2 so that's 17,950
each day united have 49 pax originating from LAX going to TLV..
ELAL has up to 5 flights a week with 280 pax non stop from LAX , most of them full and most of the PAX from LA.
for me it seems ELAL is doing it right
That's a good angle. Now, lets add to that number other Star connections ( with LH, LX, etc) and I would say we should see a non-stop UA flight in a couple of years..
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not sure what the issue is. What LY finds to be the best utilization for its aircraft and staff may not be the same for UA.

I doubt that UA would add a long-haul nonstop between non-hubs rwhen it has SFO just up the pike and massive corporate contracts originating there which neither LY nor any non-US carrier can ever touch.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
IT would be nice for UA to add LAX-TLV... Perhaps there is room for both; but I'm sure US-based business (and possibly leisure) travellers would prefer UA to LY...
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:51 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Hopefully now with the addition of AS as a partner, they will provide more feeder (read SEA/LAX/SFO/ANC) to LY at LAX & SFO or sway AS elites to fly LY versus BA/other airlines. If only they could get decent redemption rates with AS then you may have a greater influx.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nombody
United's biggest connecting passenger route is LAX-TLV - meaning those passengers started in LAX to go TLV and specifically chose United even though that meant connecting somewhere as.opposed to taking El Al's nonstop LAX-TLV flight.
So this has nothing to do with connecting from other starting points where of course United would have an advantage. So why do so many LAX passengers choose united instead of El Al. This is a question that El Al should be asking themselves.
I have friends in LA that fly only on UA, why they get extra checked bags and extra weight per bagm E+ for free , they are UA Elites. If they flew LY they couldnt take as much weight and most is for their kids/grandkids living in Israel and wouldnt have miles for free trips for other trips they want to take

Now those w/o kids there and who dont fly much at all go with LY

Myself I switched to SU for when I go I get Prem Econ for 1/2 the price of reg Y on most anyone else that I would fly on, cant stand UAs E+ or E- seats and LX is going to 321s so ZRH is out going forward or the 330s arriving 3:30am after staying in ZRH a full day, no thank you

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.