Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Amex Plat Matmid redemption with Israeli address?

Old Aug 15, 19, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Location: TLV, JFK, ORD and everywhere in between (no longer SEA)
Programs: Delta PM

Based on this blog post: https://pointmetotheplane.boardingar...ets-to-israel/ if you have an Israeli address linked to your Amex Plat your redemption to ElAl and yield to Matmid points is much higher. it claims: "Platinum cardholders in Israel get a significantly better deal on this transfer 6 Membership Rewards Points to 1 Matmid point. If you have an address in Israel and plan to regularly redeem points for El Al flights, the Amex Platinum Card is truly the way to go." Does anyone has any data points or info on this? I called Amex MR center and they had nothing. If I can add an Israeli address to my Amex Plat/Amex account, would that auto-allow for this? Or am I ready this information wrong?

Did anyone encounter this too or have experience?
thanks so much!!
Old Aug 15, 19, 5:40 pm

Programs: BA; A3; IHG/IC
"6 Membership Rewards Points to 1 Matmid point" is indeed a conversion rate for platinum Amex cards issued in Israel.
If you reread the blog, you will see that it's not about linking Israeli address to an existing Amex issued elsewhere.
Old Aug 16, 19, 3:03 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold, HHonors Diamond, Orbitz Platinum
My comment on the blog should help you realize that this is neither possible, nor a better deal:

You should really remove the information about the Israeli Platinum card it is both incorrect and irrelevant to nearly all readers.

6 Israeli MR per Matmid point is no better deal at all: the Israeli Platinum card can earn at either 1MR:40 shekels or 1MR:60 shekels depending on the earning plan selected by the cardholder (the 40 plan does not earn at all for government/tax/insurance/utility bills).

So that means 1 Matmid is, at best, earned after 240 shekels in spend (about $69 at a 3.5 ILS/USD FX rate) a categorically worse deal.

(Written by someone who has an Israeli Amex Platinum and has had an American one)
Old Aug 22, 19, 9:50 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Please discuss earning with Israeli cards at Earning Frequent Flyer miles/points in Israel

Search this Thread