Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Horrible new award search mechanism

Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold

https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...ntas-accounts/

Awards will now only be shown with the dynamic pricing (usually three times the amount standard award points) UNLESS you have enough points to book the standard award when you search through the El Al website.

Additionally, expertflyer and other sites will no longer be able to search for X and E class availabality (Business and Economy award classes).

So basically, people who might want to transfer in Amex Membership rewards to book a flight have to first transfer the points into Matmid to see if there is standard award availability.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
LY is run by idiots (Clearly)
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by entropy
LY is run by idiots (Clearly)
While I generally wont disagree with you, in this case I will.

I think this move is very smart, its obviously geared towards those who dont purchase rev tkts on LY but instead before moving miles/pts to either Matmid or in most cases to Qantas, a person will check 1st to make sure there is say Biz Saver available and when they see it is then move the pts/miles. With LYs move a person wont beable to do that, so either they will have to move teh pts/miles and pray that they will beable to use them or simply stop playing this agme with LY and move to other carriers

With the last what turned out to be 44% bonus in Qantas pts Im suretons of points were moved to Qantas with the entent of cashing in for LYaward tkts, now those folks will be stuck and having to do alot of praying that they beable to eventually beable to find something.

The Winners in all this will be those who fly LY on rev tkts and have the pts in their Matmid acct, since the % went way up that theyd be able to find something when they go to book

In other words the game is getting another strike against it
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:21 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
What happens if someone calls LY call center? Will they be able to get an answer about availability?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by craz
With the last what turned out to be 44% bonus in Qantas pts Im suretons of points were moved to Qantas with the entent of cashing in for LYaward tkts, now those folks will be stuck and having to do alot of praying that they beable to eventually beable to find something.
According to the article, the Qantas website was fixed so that you can still see El Al awards on Qantas award search, but their search engine has other issues in that the month view will show availability even with weird connecting flighs, and only when you select a specifc day does it show El Al availabilty. So that at least is manageable.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:30 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by nombody
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...ntas-accounts/

Awards will now only be shown with the dynamic pricing (usually three times the amount standard award points) UNLESS you have enough points to book the standard award when you search through the El Al website.

Additionally, expertflyer and other sites will no longer be able to search for X and E class availabality (Business and Economy award classes).

So basically, people who might want to transfer in Amex Membership rewards to book a flight have to first transfer the points into Matmid to see if there is standard award availability.
We found a work around and you can still search the El Al award inventory on ExpertFlyer.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
We found a work around and you can still search the El Al award inventory on ExpertFlyer.
Great news, thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
Any chance you can add back the number of seats in each bucket?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:47 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Any chance you can add back the number of seats in each bucket?
No, that is a result of the changes El Al made.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
On a slightly different note but still ElAl and ExpertFlyer related, the seat maps EF shows and the actual seat map in terms of what's available / blocked etc are two different things and I've noticed this now on a number of occasions, so unfortunately, cannot fully rely on EF when LY are concerned which I've never found with any other carrier.
I'm sure this is beyond EF's control and not their fault but it's important to be aware,

Here is an example of what EF shows, and what is actually available on a random VIE-TLV flight later this year.

Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: LY Plat, AF Gold, Cathay Emerald, Hertz Pres, Avis Pres, Sixt Plat, *wood Gold, Hilton Diamond, ...
New award booking system

Hi, since a few days, we cannot book regular ward tickets with fixed number of points like before! It shows you points pricing for Lite, Classic, Flex etc...
And it looks more expensive ! This is the end of the regular awards?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
If there is a regular award available and you have enough points you will also see that option.
I think a thread already exists about the new crappy system.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: LY Plat, AF Gold, Cathay Emerald, Hertz Pres, Avis Pres, Sixt Plat, *wood Gold, Hilton Diamond, ...
But it looks like there is no availability for award anymore ... Or almost none. When there used to be plenty...
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Are you sure you have enough points?
if you don’t have enough points you will see no availability.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:27 am

I have enough

Yes I have enough points.
Check for exemple many dates for tlv Cdg in September. No success. Only lite classic etc...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.