Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

EL AL closing their King David Lounge at Heathrow Terminal 4

Old Jul 7, 19, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club

https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/0...ow-terminal-4/
Old Jul 7, 19, 2:14 am

Programs: BA Bronze , ELAL Platinum
Just as they were starting to improve!
Old Jul 7, 19, 3:09 am

Programs: BA SL,LY SL bunch of other low status memberships
I assume the overcrowded and subpar Plaza Premium lounge awaits LY's pax.
Old Jul 7, 19, 4:53 am

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by BATLV View Post
I assume the overcrowded and subpar Plaza Premium lounge awaits LY's pax.
No, LY will continue to use the lounge, just it will be operated by ART & LOUNGE, like in EWR.
It will now accept PP, so that should alleviate the overcrowding in the Plaza Premium.
BATLV likes this.
Old Jul 7, 19, 10:34 am

How will the operational change effect the Kosher food situation in LHR? In Rome, the lounge El Al sends passengers to has no kosher food at all; the KLM lounge used by El Al in Toronto has a few soggy wraps and pathetic pastries. I don't know about EWR.
Old Jul 7, 19, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Well, I have been in the Art & Lounge place in EWR before an EL AL flight and it really was quite awful! as for kosher food there, all I can remember is some pre-packed revolting stuff which needed a good deal of imagination to call food.
Old Jul 7, 19, 10:38 am

When all else fails, read the instructions, or the post:

Is the lounge still kosher?

I donít know. I would imagine that El Al has signed a deal with ART & LOUNGE to send all of its premium and status customers to the lounge, in which case some or all of the food will remain kosher. The New York Newark ART & LOUNGE lounge, used by El Al, has a large kosher offering.
Old Jul 7, 19, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tlvyyz View Post
The New York Newark ART & LOUNGE lounge, used by El Al, has a large kosher offering.
As I posted earlier, the "large kosher offering" at EWR is some pre-packed revolting stuff which needed a good deal of imagination to call food
Old Jul 8, 19, 1:14 am

Programs: *A
As mikebg posted elsewhere, the kashrus of the hot food at the KDL was questionable anyway.
Old Jul 8, 19, 1:19 am

Programs: BAEC; Matmid
This is sad news, I still remember, as an 18 year old flying to Israel for the first time solo, seeing the KDL at LHR through the opaque glass. I did not know "lounges" existed, nor what a lounge was. I saw it as something exotic and hoped one day to be able to go inside. As time has passed I have had the "pleasure" of using it in its different reincarnations, I always took a moment to pause and be thankful for having the opportunity to use them, thinking of how many times I had been waiting for a flight to Israel and how lucky I was to be able to travel there.......something my parents were never able to do. Every time it was a "shehecheyanu" moment.
The KDL, with all its faults, EL AL with all its idiosyncrasies, was indeed part of the Israel experience. For an old yiddisher lady like my nan, just the sight of the Magen David on a tailplane was enough to fill her with a sense of pride.
Yes other lounges can provide kosher food, but having a lounge that is only kosher has an importance, we may carp and criticise but perhaps the bean counters need to also appreciate that there is a symbolism attached and that losing that, is something worth more than a balance sheet.
I don't expect everyone to see this loss in the "romantic' way I do, however, it is yet another diminution of the perceived value and nature of the relationship between the diaspora and Eretz. That may not be a concern for EL AL, and in a purely commercial way, perhaps it should not be a relevant concern, but there it is.
tedcruz likes this.

Last edited by davidcamp6; Jul 8, 19 at 1:33 am
Old Jul 8, 19, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
So LY's lounge footprint is now JFK, CDG and TLV?

Not very impressive but then again, if you consider the flight volume, paying for the real estate doesn't make sense for 1/day stations. JFK is their "flagship" route, but I'd think there's enough frequency on LHR/CDG to justify lounges there.
Old Jul 14, 19, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Bronze , ELAL Platinum
I flew home on LY 316 last Thursday and found no evidence of any change in the lounge. The check-in staff knew nothing of the change and the manageress in charge of the lounge informed that nothing will change and that she is in charge of changing the menu on a weekly basis - still, all food is under supervision thought the lounge kitchen itself is only under 'instruction' - not supervision

Search this Thread