Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Serious kashrus problem at EL AL KDL in Heathrow T4

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31130063-post78.html
Old May 24, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Disgraceful!
Old May 24, 2019, 9:30 am
Suspended

Cant open facebook groups

Is it saying that those who want to eat in the lounge are presented with a meal on a plate like in a restaurant, rather then the food be served double sealed and the person has to open it for themselves

Havent been to London in ages but I used to fly BA via T4 and almost always had a hot meal in The Concorde Lounge that was always double sealed that I had to open, just like on the flight itself
Old May 26, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Originally Posted by craz
Cant open facebook groups

Is it saying that those who want to eat in the lounge are presented with a meal on a plate like in a restaurant, rather then the food be served double sealed and the person has to open it for themselves

Havent been to London in ages but I used to fly BA via T4 and almost always had a hot meal in The Concorde Lounge that was always double sealed that I had to open, just like on the flight itself
This is still done in all BA Lounges in LHR and on board as it should be.
Old May 27, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by tedcruz
This is still done in all BA Lounges in LHR and on board as it should be.
The difference is that BA are serving a very small number of customers KSML in the lounge. Contrast that with LY.
Old May 27, 2019, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by sds1493
The difference is that BA are serving a very small number of customers KSML in the lounge. Contrast that with LY.
While all meals on LY are kosher, I have to wonder what percentage of its pax actually want them. I suspect, for many reasons, that it is a small minority.

I know that I have taken numerous flights TLV-JFK in Biz Class on Delta where I have been served meat dishes, given rolls with real butter, and then had ice cream sundaes for dessert. On these very same flights there were ultra-Orthodox Jews eating KSML which they were able to do despite what I ate. I see no problem with LY offering the same choice as other airlines do.
entropy, TWA884 and BATLV like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 3:24 pm

A frozen Kosher meal, no matter how good it is, doesn't compare to a fresh meal--with fresh salad, bread etc. It isn't the end of the world for non-Kosher people to eat kosher once or twice in their life. AND if they are that upset with it--they can fly another airline!
Old May 28, 2019, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Dovster
While all meals on LY are kosher, I have to wonder what percentage of its pax actually want them. I suspect, for many reasons, that it is a small minority.
a) This is off topic. The issue at hand is not whether EL AL SHOULD be 100% kosher, but that they declare themselves to be so, despite a serious flaw.
b) I would say that it is NOT a small minority. I know a good number of people who remain loyal to EL AL because they feel they get a better kosher meal with them (even though this is not always the case). I also know from observation that a large proportion of premium passengers on BA from TLV order kosher meals - on one occasion I flew almost the entire First cabin had ordered kosher meals.
Old May 28, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by Dovster

I know that I have taken numerous flights TLV-JFK in Biz Class on Delta where I have been served meat dishes, given rolls with real butter, and then had ice cream sundaes for dessert. On these very same flights there were ultra-Orthodox Jews eating KSML which they were able to do despite what I ate. I see no problem with LY offering the same choice as other airlines do.

LY being an Israeli airline, I think this is normal that they only offer Kosher meals.
People who don’t keep kosher should not mind if their meal is kosher or not.
Old May 28, 2019, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by LY777
LY being an Israeli airline, I think this is normal that they only offer Kosher meals.
People who don’t keep kosher should not mind if their meal is kosher or not.
Based on my 40 years of living in Israel, I do not believe that most Israelis eat only kosher food. To me, this would translate into most LY passengers not keeping kosher.

Certainly, there are many who do and I do not have the slightest problem with that. As someone who does not eat kosher, I may not have any religious objection to being served a kosher meal but I do mind the restrictions it places on me. It is not enough to keep me off LY (I tend to avoid it when possible for other reasons) but I will not fly long-haul on LY and generally find the food on the TLV-Europe flights to be unappetizing.

Interestingly, back in the days when I sat in the back of the bus, I would order KSML when flying Europe-USA on other airlines. The reason is that many of them offer the same kosher meals for both coach and front cabins. They are a compromise of being better than the usual coach meals but nowhere as good as Biz meals. Now that I fly in the front of the plane I no longer take the kosher meals.
BATLV likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.