FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   EL AL | Matmid (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid-610/)
-   -   Serious kashrus problem at EL AL KDL in Heathrow T4 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid/1970952-serious-kashrus-problem-el-al-kdl-heathrow-t4.html)

mikebg May 23, 2019 3:22 am

Serious kashrus problem at EL AL KDL in Heathrow T4

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31130063-post78.html

ELAL May 24, 2019 5:44 am

Disgraceful!

craz May 24, 2019 9:30 am

Cant open facebook groups

Is it saying that those who want to eat in the lounge are presented with a meal on a plate like in a restaurant, rather then the food be served double sealed and the person has to open it for themselves

Havent been to London in ages but I used to fly BA via T4 and almost always had a hot meal in The Concorde Lounge that was always double sealed that I had to open, just like on the flight itself

tedcruz May 26, 2019 6:09 am

Originally Posted by craz (Post 31134783)
Cant open facebook groups

Is it saying that those who want to eat in the lounge are presented with a meal on a plate like in a restaurant, rather then the food be served double sealed and the person has to open it for themselves

Havent been to London in ages but I used to fly BA via T4 and almost always had a hot meal in The Concorde Lounge that was always double sealed that I had to open, just like on the flight itself

This is still done in all BA Lounges in LHR and on board as it should be.

sds1493 May 27, 2019 5:49 am

Originally Posted by tedcruz (Post 31139667)
This is still done in all BA Lounges in LHR and on board as it should be.

The difference is that BA are serving a very small number of customers KSML in the lounge. Contrast that with LY.

Dovster May 27, 2019 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by sds1493 (Post 31142283)
The difference is that BA are serving a very small number of customers KSML in the lounge. Contrast that with LY.

While all meals on LY are kosher, I have to wonder what percentage of its pax actually want them. I suspect, for many reasons, that it is a small minority.

I know that I have taken numerous flights TLV-JFK in Biz Class on Delta where I have been served meat dishes, given rolls with real butter, and then had ice cream sundaes for dessert. On these very same flights there were ultra-Orthodox Jews eating KSML which they were able to do despite what I ate. I see no problem with LY offering the same choice as other airlines do.

awayIgo May 27, 2019 3:24 pm

A frozen Kosher meal, no matter how good it is, doesn't compare to a fresh meal--with fresh salad, bread etc. It isn't the end of the world for non-Kosher people to eat kosher once or twice in their life. AND if they are that upset with it--they can fly another airline!

mikebg May 28, 2019 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Dovster (Post 31143662)
While all meals on LY are kosher, I have to wonder what percentage of its pax actually want them. I suspect, for many reasons, that it is a small minority.

a) This is off topic. The issue at hand is not whether EL AL SHOULD be 100% kosher, but that they declare themselves to be so, despite a serious flaw.
b) I would say that it is NOT a small minority. I know a good number of people who remain loyal to EL AL because they feel they get a better kosher meal with them (even though this is not always the case). I also know from observation that a large proportion of premium passengers on BA from TLV order kosher meals - on one occasion I flew almost the entire First cabin had ordered kosher meals.

LY777 May 28, 2019 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Dovster (Post 31143662)

I know that I have taken numerous flights TLV-JFK in Biz Class on Delta where I have been served meat dishes, given rolls with real butter, and then had ice cream sundaes for dessert. On these very same flights there were ultra-Orthodox Jews eating KSML which they were able to do despite what I ate. I see no problem with LY offering the same choice as other airlines do.

LY being an Israeli airline, I think this is normal that they only offer Kosher meals.
People who don’t keep kosher should not mind if their meal is kosher or not.

Dovster May 28, 2019 9:10 am

Originally Posted by LY777 (Post 31145684)
LY being an Israeli airline, I think this is normal that they only offer Kosher meals.
People who don’t keep kosher should not mind if their meal is kosher or not.

Based on my 40 years of living in Israel, I do not believe that most Israelis eat only kosher food. To me, this would translate into most LY passengers not keeping kosher.

Certainly, there are many who do and I do not have the slightest problem with that. As someone who does not eat kosher, I may not have any religious objection to being served a kosher meal but I do mind the restrictions it places on me. It is not enough to keep me off LY (I tend to avoid it when possible for other reasons) but I will not fly long-haul on LY and generally find the food on the TLV-Europe flights to be unappetizing.

Interestingly, back in the days when I sat in the back of the bus, I would order KSML when flying Europe-USA on other airlines. The reason is that many of them offer the same kosher meals for both coach and front cabins. They are a compromise of being better than the usual coach meals but nowhere as good as Biz meals. Now that I fly in the front of the plane I no longer take the kosher meals.