Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Israeli FA in coma, then died after contracting measles

Old Apr 17, 19, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold, SkyMiles,

https://nypost.com/2019/04/17/flight...cting-measles/
Very sad and tragic news as the poor woman fights for her life. Apparently she contracted the disease on or about March 31. The key item mentioned is she may have contracted in New York, Israel or on a flight between the two locations. Hopefully, the Israeli MoH and NY Public Health can sort out if pax on flights that she worked are at risk.

Without getting into an argument on vaccinations, it is noted that she was of the generation that only had the one dose vaccine (93% efficacy) and we now know that 2 doses are needed for more effective immunity (97% efficacy). This should remind some people to check their status, especially the younger travelers.
Old Apr 18, 19, 1:30 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ P
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer View Post
... This should remind some people to check their status, especially the younger travelers.
If you live in Israel, just go to your local (Kupat Holim) family doctor.
In doubt, there’s a blood test to check for immunity.
Old Apr 21, 19, 7:09 pm

All travelers of every age should make sure they are immune. Outside Israeli, talk to your personal physician.
Old Aug 13, 19, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Unfortunately she passed away yesterday. Very sad.

Rotem Amitai, a 43-year-old female El Al flight attendant, died in a hospital on Tuesday, five months after contracting measles from a passenger on a flight from New York to Tel Aviv in March.

Several days after returning to Israel, the mother of three was hospitalized and later entered a coma with suspected brain damage.

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/El...-flight-598493
Old Aug 13, 19, 10:08 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Very sad news
Old Aug 14, 19, 8:34 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
This is absolutely horrible. These vaccines need to be absolutely mandatory - no religious exemptions, no exemptions because they're not "organic" or you read somewhere that all you need to do is think positive thoughts and eat carrots... Your right to self-actualization ends when you put other people's lives at risk.

This reminds me that I should check up on my immunization status. I got all the shots when I was a kid, but I'm not sure if the measles vaccination is permanent or needs a booster - and I'll be flying on LY next month with god only knows whom, so ...
BATLV and Transpacificflyer like this.

Search this Thread