Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Premium Class Seating with Economy Service

Old Mar 9, 19, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Million Miler, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Global Entry

I am looking at booking a flight from BCN to TLV and am considering flying El Al but I am confused by the Seating selection for the Lite, Classic and Flex. It appears from the chart that if I purchase a Flex ticket I can select a business class seat but I will get Economy Service. Is this true and what does Economy class service mean when booking a Flex ticket?
Old Mar 10, 19, 12:32 am

From the website, If you purchase a flex ticket you can get Premium seating. That is NOT Business class. Available only on the 787 it is a more comfortable seat. They appear to NOT offer full premium service on those flights, so it makes sense for them to create a class for the most expensive economy passenger to sit there. ( they aren’t going to leave them empty)

If,you look at a flight where full Premium service IS offered, I.e. JFK to TLV, there is no “Flex” ticket. It’s economy flexible”
Old Mar 10, 19, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by awayIgo View Post
From the website, If you purchase a flex ticket you can get Premium seating. That is NOT Business class. Available only on the 787 it is a more comfortable seat.
They don't use the 787 on the BCN route. When a 744 is used, they tend to use the lower deck biz (and sometimes F) as Premium seating and therefore the OP is right.
Old Mar 10, 19, 6:44 am

Programs: LY Gold; BA Silver;
The Flex fare has this clause for all European routes, even those operated by 737s.
LY usually opens seating in an higher class of service for economy pax only when the Y class is forecasted to be oversold and only when there were no business class tickets purchased or when the plane has two business class sections so that one has only pax with true business class tickets and the other has economy class (only 777s/747s has this configuration).
Thus, this perk offered by flex tickets is not available for most flights.

Search this Thread