Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

747 Retirement - Upper Deck Biz assigned seats

Old Mar 2, 19, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)

my parents are booked on a 747 round trip in business between New York and Tel Aviv in May. Worried about their seats (upper deck) with an equipment change. Is this likely and if so, any suggestions? The concern is that they will be reassigned random seats or even bumped to economy. Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 19, 11:21 pm

Aircraft changes are always possible. Why should they be bumped to economy? Monitor - weekly- the booking not f the seats get changed to something you don’t like, contact ElAl.
Old Mar 3, 19, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
What's this got to do with 747 retirement?
Old Mar 3, 19, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by awayIgo View Post
Aircraft changes are always possible. Why should they be bumped to economy? Monitor - weekly- the booking not f the seats get changed to something you don’t like, contact ElAl.
Thanks - will continue to monitor. They’re concerned because the last time we all flew el al business, on the return leg, the agents at tlv tried very hard to get us to give up business seats at the counter. Not just limited to them but to my husband and me (each couple checked in at counter separately). Several rounds of us saying no while the agent kept checking about ‘special offers’ and trying to downgrade us to economy by offering an extra round trip economy ticket on a future flight. Right now the flight is still shown as on the 747 and seat assignments the same. Booked a business saver ticket.
Old Mar 3, 19, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
The flight was obviously oversold, but their previous experience reflects nothing on what they can expect of their next one. It's like saying I'm concerned about my flight tomorrow because yesterday's was delayed... :-)
If you provide us with the dates I'm happy to check the loads on the flight (currently, as it can of course change between now and May).

I still find your title confusing though. What's the 747 retirement got to do with this?
Old Mar 4, 19, 7:46 am

It is very different when the agent tried to convince you to downgrade and it’s done behind your back.

BTW, retirement fits into his question because he is concerned that if the 747 is taken off the flight and replaced with a different aircraft he’ll loose his business seats.
Old Mar 4, 19, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by awayIgo View Post
It is very different when the agent tried to convince you to downgrade and it’s done behind your back.

BTW, retirement fits into his question because he is concerned that if the 747 is taken off the flight and replaced with a different aircraft he’ll loose his business seats.
yes, this. They are concerned about an aircraft swap due to 747 retirement and that they will be displaced and downgraded because the new plane won’t have an upper deck for business. Thank you.
Old Mar 4, 19, 11:32 pm

The new plane has a beautiful business section on the main level. They are in a 1-2-1 arrangement. Obviously they want a 2. They would probably be happiest with an odd numbered row.

https://www.elal.com/SiteCollectionD...anes/787-9.pdf