Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Double the price between Expedia and Elal?!

Double the price between Expedia and Elal?!

Old Feb 17, 19, 1:09 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Israel
Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Posts: 374
Double the price between Expedia and Elal?!

I went to the Expedia site and looked at Elal TLV to AMS (May 22-23 LY339+LY336) which came to a total of $642 (class G and O).
I then went to the Elal site and tried booking the same exact flights (economy) and it came to $1276 (Flex).
How come? What do I lose in functionality if I book via Expedia? Will I be able to select my seats and even pay for premium seats?
hnussbacher is offline  
Old Feb 17, 19, 3:05 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Posts: 1,430
Are you comparing Flex to the cheapest?
Houminer is offline  
Old Feb 17, 19, 3:16 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: TLV/LHR
Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Posts: 12,685
Exactly, You said it yourself. You're comparing lower base fares with fully flexible.

As far as choosing seats or other services, once booked you should be able to fully manage your booking on LY's website. But if you notice any restriction, you have 24 hours to cancel your booking on Expedia (easily done online) free of charge.
clubman is offline  
Old Feb 17, 19, 3:28 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Israel
Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Posts: 374
Originally Posted by Houminer View Post
Are you comparing Flex to the cheapest?
Elal doesn't offer any fare base other than Flex via their site.
hnussbacher is offline  
Old Feb 17, 19, 3:32 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Israel
Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Posts: 374
Originally Posted by clubman View Post
Exactly, You said it yourself. You're comparing lower base fares with fully flexible.

As far as choosing seats or other services, once booked you should be able to fully manage your booking on LY's website. But if you notice any restriction, you have 24 hours to cancel your booking on Expedia (easily done online) free of charge.
Problem is I want to know how much extra preferred/premium seats will cost me before booking so I can submit a budget.
hnussbacher is offline  
Old Feb 17, 19, 4:09 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Israel
Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Posts: 374
Originally Posted by hnussbacher View Post
Problem is I want to know how much extra preferred/premium seats will cost me before booking so I can submit a budget.
I tried booking via Expedia and the system keeps getting stuck when trying to select seats. So I have no way to know how much extra to budget for economy plus or preferred seats.
hnussbacher is offline  
Old Feb 17, 19, 5:39 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NT Australia
Programs: QF WP
Posts: 1,699
nancypants is offline  
Old Feb 17, 19, 6:13 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Israel
Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Posts: 374
Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
Thanks. In Hebrew I found:
https://www.elal.com/he/PassengersIn...e-Seating.aspx
hnussbacher is offline  
Old Feb 17, 19, 7:08 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Posts: 1,430
Originally Posted by hnussbacher View Post
Elal doesn't offer any fare base other than Flex via their site.
They do, but their website is really bad.
Maybe try another browser.
Houminer is offline  
Old Feb 17, 19, 8:04 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Israel
Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Posts: 374
Originally Posted by Houminer View Post
They do, but their website is really bad.
Maybe try another browser.
Tried FF and Chrome and both only provide Flex fares and no Lite or Standard economy fares :-(
hnussbacher is offline  
Old Feb 17, 19, 9:29 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Zichron Yakov, Israel
Programs: SPG Gold
Posts: 531
Originally Posted by hnussbacher View Post
Tried FF and Chrome and both only provide Flex fares and no Lite or Standard economy fares :-(
It's probably El Al's "shitat matzliach" for people who want to book a ticket with following day return the website only shows the high priced flex tickets even though lower priced tickets are really available if you look at other booking engines.
nombody is offline  
Old Feb 17, 19, 9:33 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Israel
Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Posts: 374
Originally Posted by nombody View Post
It's probably El Al's "shitat matzliach" for people who want to book a ticket with following day return the website only shows the high priced flex tickets even though lower priced tickets are really available if you look at other booking engines.
Very annoying! Used my travel agent to get the lower rate.
hnussbacher is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread