Wiki Posts
Search

EL AL Religious disaster redux

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: SPG Gold
United also screwed religious passengers

https://www.click2houston.com/news/t...trip-to-israel

It seems United didn't handle the problems with the storm so well either for their passengers, in this case a religious Christian group.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by hnussbacher
Also here:
https://www.0404.co.il/?p=310760

You can knock Elal all you want but they stepped up and are awarding a free ticket to Europe even if you aren't loud and a complainer. Obviously someone in mgmt realized the debacle and have done the right thing. Kudos to Elal for doing the right thing.
As I posted earlier, in a speculative vein, it now turns out that EL AL really are taking advantage of their passengers. Yes, they are giving them a free flight from TLV to Europe, which is worth precisely ZERO to passengers whose journey began in New York and not in Israel. The tickets must include a weekend, are not upgradable, and are dependant on available space in O class. Wonderful for passengers travelling in First or Business, isn't it?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by jblueflyer
I think you meant hard
Correct, fixed the typo.

Originally Posted by jblueflyer
Im not sure if this *proof* will be accepted unchallenged. LY can always say that their crew take a different route or have extra screening or follow some additional security measures (this is likely the case in most countries) that do not apply to other carriers and hence the delay.
Even if LY were to make such a claim, it's still on them to prove that the circumstances were out of their control, beyond reasonable expectations, and unavoidable. If they claim that initially, the response is that other airlines made it on time. If they say their hotel was farther, there are a few possible responses which center around, "Why was your hotel farther?" "Could you not have moved closer anticipating weather?" "Could you have made it even with a farther hotel by leaving earlier?"
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by craz
+1, also what if I will now misconnect and have to overnight at my own expense since the delay was weather, or my trip now became a trip in vain since by the time I get to my destination it will too late for what I was going there for

I wouldnt want to inconvince anyone least a full plane of passengers but yet Im not an idiot that I will still fly when there is no longer a reason for me to or by doing so incur an addtional expense.
Could the 400 other pax claim their own expenses from you if the flight is being delayed or god beware cancelled as a result of one passenger demanding to be brought back to the gate? That would be an extremely costly exercise.

Also, did LY violate DOT tarmac rules here? How did the passengers get off in Athens assuming not everybody had a Schengen Visa or eligible passport for visa free entry?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Also, did LY violate DOT tarmac rules here? How did the passengers get off in Athens assuming not everybody had a Schengen Visa or eligible passport for visa free entry?
Considering the flight was on LY and a direct flight between USA and Israel, the likelihood is that everyone on that flight had passports from countries that wouldn't require a visa (Israel and US are most likely, but even Canada, potentially some from Mexico and Latin American countries with decent ties to Israel)
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nombody
https://www.click2houston.com/news/t...trip-to-israel

It seems United didn't handle the problems with the storm so well either for their passengers, in this case a religious Christian group.
In this case, a different issue entirely. They canceled the tickets and then rebooked them home instead of on a later flight to Israel. At least with LY, they made it to Israel, 36 hours late.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Considering the flight was on LY and a direct flight between USA and Israel, the likelihood is that everyone on that flight had passports from countries that wouldn't require a visa (Israel and US are most likely, but even Canada, potentially some from Mexico and Latin American countries with decent ties to Israel)
The likelihood that "everyone" had passports allowing visa free entry to the Schengen states is close to zero. Each flight has a few odds out passengers with exotic passports. It's always interesting to study the passenger lists of crashed planes for example and there you see the different nationalities.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by craz
But the crew did exactly what LY wanted and cared about, Making sure the plane makes it back to TLV so it can be used for Sat nights flight, and curtail the lose of $$$ to its best ability.
Nope. Jewish tradition requires a man to make love to his wife on Friday nights. That is why the pilot was in a hurry to get back home.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The likelihood that "everyone" had passports allowing visa free entry to the Schengen states is close to zero. Each flight has a few odds out passengers with exotic passports. It's always interesting to study the passenger lists of crashed planes for example and there you see the different nationalities.
You're right about oddities and yet I stand by my statement. The odds were actually quite high. Considering the strictness of entry to Israel, and certainly as perceived by tourists, people on an EL AL flight are passengers who have right of entry to Israel. That means people who are Israeli citizens, have automatic visas upon arrival, or advance visas.

The first 2 groups automatically have the right to enter Schengen.

The 3rd group is broken into those who would have right of entry or wouldn't. The ones who wouldn't don't originate in any of the regions near there, so again, the only real way is if the person happened to have been in the US on a US visa (as it wouldn't have been a connecting flight as LY connections are to regions where people with visa rights live). So yes, the chance exists, but it's quite low. But this is a terrible digression.
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Considering the source of the initial problem in this situation (crew delay due to long ways to the airport) am I the only one who thinks that it's nuts when airlines accommodate their crews far far away from the airport in the city center, creating a lot of transit time? Especially in cities with notoriously bad traffic. Manhattan or Downtown LA are two such locations. Why not put these crews up at the airport??
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Considering the source of the initial problem in this situation (crew delay due to long ways to the airport) am I the only one who thinks that it's nuts when airlines accommodate their crews far far away from the airport in the city center, creating a lot of transit time? Especially in cities with notoriously bad traffic. Manhattan or Downtown LA are two such locations. Why not put these crews up at the airport??
Airlines generally put crew near airport on overnight turns (e.g. 8-12 hours), but in town for longer rests. Long-haul pairings often have 24-60 hour rests and crew don't want to be stuck near the airport having nothing to do. Even if airports have good transport into town, airport-area hotels may not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.