Search

EL AL Religious disaster redux

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mikebg
You would be surprised to hear this, but there are not really any major "religious observance needs of Haredim" which only EL AL can provide. In fact, I get a far better glatt kosher meal ex-London with BA than I used to get with EL AL (I was LY PL for over 10 years before moving to BA). I have also discovered that a shortish stopover in London when flying TLV-NYC is no big deal, especially as I can get a good kosher meal at the BA lounge in LHR. And I am saving so much money by flying BA (in business and in first class) that if I REALLY needed to get to/from the USA in a hurry I could even afford to fly EL AL ...
None of that is news to me. But the fact is that BA isn’t any more likely to be concerned about not frustrating the religious observances of Haredim passengers than LY.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jblueflyer
I think if LY honestly communicated that no matter what they'd ensure the pax religious needs will be met (either arrive early in TLV or break at ATH if its not possible), then this whole fiasco could have been avoided. I suspect the pax would have reacted much better too. Like @mikebg rightly points out, the passengers here may have been trying to get ejected and their behavior may not have been entirely unintentional.
It seems pretty obvious that some passengers wanted off the delayed flight. It also seems pretty obvious that LY really wanted the plane to be headed toward EMEA (and better positioned for other journeys) even if the departure were late enough to annoy some of its passengers (concerned about religious needs) to the point of those passengers wanting to be offloaded before take-off.

Perhaps it’s time for the Israeli government to put in another law/regulation applicable to flights to/from TLV that grants passengers the right to be offloaded from a flight and freely re-accommodated on the next available flight suitable to the passenger when the delay seems likely to mess with the religious observances of a passenger? I’m not serious about this last point, but maybe next time there are elections for MKs, some parties/candidates can put this out there.
jblueflyer likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
If you can ride a "shabbos" elevator, you can probably remain on a plane that's already in the air.

Now, once you get to TLV, you might have to walk to a hotel., or home... or whatever...
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder

And yet no scheduled common carrier was launched and sustained by the business of just those willing to boycott LY over the Shabbos flying issue.

LY isn’t going to be rendered obsolete by an Orthodox boycott of LY over the Shabbos-flying issue. There just isn’t that much viable O&D competition against LY’s entire network that can be built upon just catering to those willing to boycott over the Shabbos-flying issue. And LY can thus continue to play this game of having its cake and eating it too as and when it really wants to eat it because the Orthodox really don’t have a ton of better choices if wanting to fly an airline that generally doesn’t fly when the Orthodox don’t want the airline to fly.
A number of years ago youd be correct. But the situation has changed completely and LY has ample competition to almost every where it flys, and probably less expensive to boot All too often LYs flights arriving on Fri afternoon wont leave a person even living in Tel Aviv enough time to get home in time before Shabbos starts. Which to me is a main farce of the so called LY being Shomer Shabbos. It might not fly on Shabbos but thats about it. Arriving anything less then 2 hours before Shabbos starts is a no go and why the Rabbis decided that thats OK is beyond me

I think LY has to decide whom they wish to be and to whom. They cant be everything to everybody, which they have been trying to do. That said the Charedi have to do something they hate to, Educate their flocks, to what is and what isnt permissible according to Halacha (Jewish Law). Ive seen it where a person is demanding they be allowed to stand and pray since they Must according to Jewish Law when the fact is they can do so sitting in their seat, I prefer to stand myself but dont demand something and say something which isnt true.

In this case of LY 002 once again LY messed it up badly, they should have gone back to the gate let off whom ever wanted to get off with telling them their tkts will be good only on LY when there is room, unless they have a fully refundable tkt, that the flight will be landing in Europe place to be decided with enough time to get to a hotel before Shabbos and food will be provided. To those not Shomer Shabbos they too will have to get off and another plane will be coming to fly them onto TLV. Case closed. While inflight keep everyone posted where you plan to land and that arrangements have been made treat your passengers exactly how youd want to be treated
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by craz
In this case of LY 002 once again LY messed it up badly, they should have gone back to the gate let off whom ever wanted to get off with telling them their tkts will be good only on LY when there is room, unless they have a fully refundable tkt, that the flight will be landing in Europe place to be decided with enough time to get to a hotel before Shabbos and food will be provided. To those not Shomer Shabbos they too will have to get off and another plane will be coming to fly them onto TLV. Case closed. While inflight keep everyone posted where you plan to land and that arrangements have been made treat your passengers exactly how youd want to be treated
I don't think anyone on board was asking for anything more than that. In fact, one of the passengers interviewed said that the crew told them that if they got off the flight they would lose their ticket completely and they replied that they were happy to go along with that.

The real problem here is not Shabbos observance or not, but EL AL's terrible attitude to their paying customers.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:10 am

Going back to crew using public transportation to get to the airport. My local ( when in US) train station is a few away from JFK air train. We always have loads of individuals going to and from the airport on the train. ( you can tell by the luggage) In ALL the years I've been riding this train--(23) I have NEVER seen flight crew on it. Now, it could be a coincidence--or it could be that flight crew generally use private shuttles or cabs.

Thursday was a freak occurrence. My neighbor said on an express bus for 5.5 hours--to get from Manhattan to Queens. I do not, as posted earlier get crew being late--since it happens when there is no snow too. But, sometimes you need to cut some slack.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by awayIgo
Going back to crew using public transportation to get to the airport. My local ( when in US) train station is a few away from JFK air train. We always have loads of individuals going to and from the airport on the train. ( you can tell by the luggage) In ALL the years I've been riding this train--(23) I have NEVER seen flight crew on it. Now, it could be a coincidence--or it could be that flight crew generally use private shuttles or cabs.

Thursday was a freak occurrence. My neighbor said on an express bus for 5.5 hours--to get from Manhattan to Queens. I do not, as posted earlier get crew being late--since it happens when there is no snow too. But, sometimes you need to cut some slack.
the flight crews Ive seen on the AirTrain @ JFK were JetBlue crew, rare occasion DL
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by GUWonder

None of that is news to me. But the fact is that BA isn’t any more likely to be concerned about not frustrating the religious observances of Haredim passengers than LY.
A couple of years ago my brother was on a LH flight from FRA-JFK on a Friday with a similar story of being delayed a few hours away from the gate.
He eventually requested to be off-loaded due to Shabbat, the crew where not too happy as they were finally being allowed to take-off. The captain came out to ask him why he so badly want to be off-loaded, he explained to him about shabbat, the pilot fully understood and turned back to the gate and got him off-loaded, while showing full understanding. Of course LH re-booked him free of charge on a Sunday flight.

If LH could do this for 1 single passenger, why couldn't ELAL do this for 180 passengers?
Never mind the lies by the captain and untrue blaming by ELAL
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by ELAL
A couple of years ago my brother was on a LH flight from FRA-JFK on a Friday with a similar story of being delayed a few hours away from the gate.
He eventually requested to be off-loaded due to Shabbat, the crew where not too happy as they were finally being allowed to take-off. The captain came out to ask him why he so badly want to be off-loaded, he explained to him about shabbat, the pilot fully understood and turned back to the gate and got him off-loaded, while showing full understanding. Of course LH re-booked him free of charge on a Sunday flight.

If LH could do this for 1 single passenger, why couldn't ELAL do this for 180 passengers?
Never mind the lies by the captain and untrue blaming by ELAL
I think the issue is that that captain inconvenienced all of his other pax. Happened to me on LX once -- delayed due to a blizzard, we finally are ready to go and a group of folks insisted on returning to gate and getting off, delaying the rest of us a couple more hours.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
I think the issue is that that captain inconvenienced all of his other pax. Happened to me on LX once -- delayed due to a blizzard, we finally are ready to go and a group of folks insisted on returning to gate and getting off, delaying the rest of us a couple more hours.
You can't force a person to stay on a flight which is delayed by hours.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
of course you can. Delaying 400 passengers for one is ridiculous. Its one thing if its a medical emergency, quite another if it isn't.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:58 am
Suspended

+1, also what if I will now misconnect and have to overnight at my own expense since the delay was weather, or my trip now became a trip in vain since by the time I get to my destination it will too late for what I was going there for

I wouldnt want to inconvince anyone least a full plane of passengers but yet Im not an idiot that I will still fly when there is no longer a reason for me to or by doing so incur an addtional expense.

Last edited by craz; Nov 20, 2018 at 11:03 am
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by awayIgo

I have repeatedly seen flight attendants in uniform taking even the E train from Manhattan to Jamaica (for JFK) or Roosevelt Ave (for LGA).

But flight crew away from base/home are generally taking crew shuttle buses to and from the airport when away. But it’s largely because of unionized workforce’s or a result of that in the industry.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by craz
+1, I wouldnt want to inconvince anyone least a full plane of passengers
... but are willing to do so. I think this is the crux of the tradeoff.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
... but are willing to do so. I think this is the crux of the tradeoff.
You betya Im not about to fly somewhere simply so as not to delay a plane of people. However thats say I boarded on time with the expectation that we will be leaving on time. If we boarded late and the flight was delayed then its upon me to make sure before boarding that I still want to fly and that everything will be in order by doing so and that I wont change my mind once Im on board. Of cause with an Intl flight if the delay gets too extended and its no longer viable for whatever reason to still take that flight I should inform the agent ASAP so that my bags can be off loaded causing as little additional delay as possible

But no way will I fly just so as not to delay everyone else, sorry that goes with flying everyone knows stuff always hits the fan and if its no longer viable for even 1 passenger to fly then if you have been sitting in the penalty box or on a taxiway etc its back to the gate, if its an Intl flight they must off load the bags. The main thing is to constantly reassess the situation and to bail out ASAP in order to cause as little further delay as possible.

But only a nut will continue to fly just to avoid delaying everyone else, Id never expect someone who has just crossed into a trip in vain to continue with the flight and simply fly back upon landing or pay $$$ out of pocket for a not needed hotel room @ XYZ.

the problem with LY is they decided to make the final decision w/o regard for what the passengers wanted to do. So if a person was flying to be a simcha over Shabbos in Israel and were flying back on Sun why should that person now have to be in ATH and waste their time. Dont decide what is best for me , let me decide that, just give me your best info so that I can decide what cause of action if any I which to do. that is the main problem, not the snow or traffic but that LY (along with probably most carriers) are only interested in what is best for the carrier and really dont care how it affects the passengers
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by craz; Nov 20, 2018 at 1:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.