Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EL AL Religious disaster redux

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by shuly
Josh, I have to disagree with you. Read the FA comments on Facebook. It took them 5-6 hours to get from the hotel to the airport. There's no way you can prepare for that.
Oh yes there is! The passengers did! But the EL AL crews relied onh the good old Israeli mantra: Al tid-ag, yihyeh beseder!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:48 am
Suspended

Josh, I have to disagree with you. Read the FA comments on Facebook. It took them 5-6 hours to get from the hotel to the airport. There's no way you can prepare for that. And when they left the gate, they did not know they won't be able to land before shabbat. I think ElAl should be commended for how they handled this extraordinary situation. The pax, on the other hand... Not!

Shuly
LY shouldnt be commended for anything. If anyone should its United they CXed the 84 afternoon flight all together and the 90 night flight was moved to 6am Fri morn so they flew 3 flights on Fri

I understand LY cant fly on Fri or Shabbos, but Im sure all they took into consideration was getting their planes back to TLV ASAP so taht they can fly out after Shabbos
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:41 am

I'm not an ElAl flyer: I avoid them as far as I can. However, in this case, I think they made the right decision. As a passenger, if I have to choose between a canceled flight (which hopefully will fly in 24 hours, who knows) and a flight that diverts to ATH but will get me home with a serious yet reasonable delay (or a weekend in ATH and arrival late on the next day), I'd definitely take the latter.

ElAl put itself in an awkward position when it decided not to fly on the sabbath. There are prices to pay for this decision, and they pop up every once in a while. This is one such instance. Everything considered, I think ElAl was right. Still, this is just a reminder to me why I try never to fly with them.

Shuly
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by hnussbacher
It is my understanding that international flight regulations require a certain amount of time for crews between flights. I do not know whether "pickup time at hotel" is when the clock stops or when they "checkin at the airport". If the "freeze" time for crew stops at hotel pickup time, it could very well have been if they had picked up the crew 6 hours before flight time they would have been in violation of int'l flight regulations.
If they couldn't leave any earlier, then you cancel the flight because the crew has timed out or whatever you want to call it. Annoying - passengers willing to fly on Shabbat, try to book on partners, all others, fly them motzei shabbat.

Josh, I have to disagree with you. Read the FA comments on Facebook. It took them 5-6 hours to get from the hotel to the airport. There's no way you can prepare for that. And when they left the gate, they did not know they won't be able to land before shabbat. I think ElAl should be commended for how they handled this extraordinary situation. The pax, on the other hand... Not!

Shuly
How is it that the passengers made it on time? Or crew for all others flights around, scheduled to leave around the same time? I'm sorry but I don't care what the FA wrote - I am willing to bet quite a lot that he/she is lying. There is no way that it was "unforeseen circumstances" that led to them getting there so late.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:23 pm

I have no problems with what happened, save this.

on Sept 13, I flew the 002 to Israel. It was a beautiful clear day.However we left JFK an hour late. The reason for this was the late arrival of the crew. There appears to,be a problem with certain crews. If they can’t get to the airport on time during clear weather....
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by awayIgo
I have no problems with what happened, save this.

on Sept 13, I flew the 002 to Israel. It was a beautiful clear day.However we left JFK an hour late. The reason for this was the late arrival of the crew. There appears to,be a problem with certain crews. If they can’t get to the airport on time during clear weather....
I blame the fact that the airline puts up its employees in Manhattan and use shared shuttle buses/vans for crew transport to the airport. If the crew members collectively took the train from the city to JFK and EWR or had better positioned hotels for serving the airport on time, the time to get to the airport would be more predictable and they could get there on time more consistently. That and holding crew members more responsible for showing up on time and in good shape for the shared transport vehicles to leave on time. It also might help to have a few crew members on standby and ready to stand in for crew members not ready to fly, but that adds costs and we know LY isn't the most generous carrier around.

Originally Posted by joshwex90
If they couldn't leave any earlier, then you cancel the flight because the crew has timed out or whatever you want to call it. Annoying - passengers willing to fly on Shabbat, try to book on partners, all others, fly them motzei shabbat.

How is it that the passengers made it on time? Or crew for all others flights around, scheduled to leave around the same time? I'm sorry but I don't care what the FA wrote - I am willing to bet quite a lot that he/she is lying. There is no way that it was "unforeseen circumstances" that led to them getting there so late.
I wish LY had an EC 261/2004 type regulation applicable to it like the EU carriers do everywhere and that it would be applicable like it is in some parts of the EU. This notion of "unforeseen circumstances" is used way too much by too many. I've yet to encounter any delay in my millions of miles flying where any crew-related delay was due to truly unforeseen circumstances.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I blame the fact that the airline puts up its employees in Manhattan and use shared shuttle buses/vans for crew transport to the airport. If the crew members collectively took the train from the city to JFK and EWR or had better positioned hotels for serving the airport on time, the time to get to the airport would be more predictable and they could get there on time more consistently. That and holding crew members more responsible for showing up on time and in good shape for the shared transport vehicles to leave on time. It also might help to have a few crew members on standby and ready to stand in for crew members not ready to fly, but that adds costs and we know LY isn't the most generous carrier around.

I wish LY had an EC 261/2004 type regulation applicable to it like the EU carriers do everywhere and that it would be applicable like it is in some parts of the EU. This notion of "unforeseen circumstances" is used way too much by too many. I've yet to encounter any delay in my millions of miles flying where any crew-related delay was due to truly unforeseen circumstances.
ask and though shalt receive

http://www.tourism-law.co.il/pdf/Avi...icesLawENG.pdf

some correspondents around these parts will tell you it’s even better than the EU regulation
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I blame the fact that the airline puts up its employees in Manhattan and use shared shuttle buses/vans for crew transport to the airport. If the crew members collectively took the train from the city to JFK and EWR or had better positioned hotels for serving the airport on time, the time to get to the airport would be more predictable and they could get there on time more consistently.
I would not want to request crew members to take the NYC Metro into the city. That being said there are plenty of airport based hotels near JFK but I guess the crew have nothing to do at an airport hotel and prefer downtown Manhattan.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nancypants

ask and though shalt receive

http://www.tourism-law.co.il/pdf/Avi...icesLawENG.pdf

some correspondents around these parts will tell you it’s even better than the EU regulation
Thanks, as I had sort of forgotten about that. I wonder what that may mean financially for LY for this mess of LY's own making.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:57 am
Suspended

I would not want to request crew members to take the NYC Metro into the city. That being said there are plenty of airport based hotels near JFK but I guess the crew have nothing to do at an airport hotel and prefer downtown Manhattan.
Airtrain+LIRR or NJT to get between JFK/EWR and Manhattan works just fine on average for even me, so why not for flight crew members?

There are many times where I've been stuck in a car or other automobile headed to JFK or EWR from Manhattan and wished I had just taken rail of sort to get to the airport. And despite being a heavy user of rail from NYC to JFK/EWR, there have been a much smaller percentage of times when I've wished to go the other way when traveling with cabin baggage only.

I don't buy "security" as a reason for flight crew to avoid using public transit to/from NYC.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:12 am

I would not want to request crew members to take the NYC Metro into the city.
Why not? How are they different from any other person that takes public transport to their workplace? Especially in a situation in which public transport is the only way to guarantee them being on time to their job?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:13 am

Shuly
the only thing LY did wrong in this case is not reporting to the PD in JFK and offloading the violent pax before the take-off.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:15 am

Anybody with info on other flights delay in the timeframe of LY's slot on the same day in JFK?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:54 am

A few comments

a.ElAl staff ate put up at the same hotel Manhattan. They travel in a van, but it is private- no different than a taxi. It is not a shuttle getting other passengers. Unfortunately, as employees of Israel’s airline, they do have a higher security risk than others.

There was a heavy heavy snow on November 15. It was not as had been predicted.ElAl,was not alone. I’m not reasearching for a specific airline or flight but here are some general comments

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...ht/2010375002/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ts/2009876002/

TWA884 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by BATLV
the only thing LY did wrong in this case is not reporting to the PD in JFK and offloading the violent pax before the take-off.
There were no violent pax before take-off. There was only deceit from the LY cabin crew. And according to multiple reports, including from reporters who were on board, there was anger but no violence against the FAs. And that anyways happened when the plane was over Europe, not at the gate in JFK. At the gate in JFK, there were no FAs to offload anyone

Originally Posted by BATLV
Anybody with info on other flights delay in the timeframe of LY's slot on the same day in JFK?
According to someone from the flight who saw little LY crew at the gate and the delayed flight, he went to other gates taking off around then to see, and I quote, "where did your crew stay as I'm curious how you made it on time in this weather."

Originally Posted by awayIgo
A few comments

a.ElAl staff ate put up at the same hotel Manhattan. They travel in a van, but it is private- no different than a taxi. It is not a shuttle getting other passengers. Unfortunately, as employees of Israel’s airline, they do have a higher security risk than others.

How much higher of a risk are they? Keep in mind that Israeli diplomatic personnel (significantly more of a security threat than LY staff) are permitted to use public transportation in NY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.