Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

FINALLY!!!! TLV-Jerusalem railway is up and running!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FINALLY!!!! TLV-Jerusalem railway is up and running!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
Mind-blowing! Train was packed (only few of the pax were people who actually got off a flight), the same old tired red double-decker but SO quick. It took me more time getting to my apartment in the center of Jerusalem from the central bus station than the ride from the airport to the new train station. I will post a more detailed report in a couple of days.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
Train was packed
I'm surprised. They are seriously restricting the number of passengers allowed due to unresolved safety issues.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by clubman
I'm surprised. They are seriously restricting the number of passengers allowed due to unresolved safety issues.
How could they restrict the number of passengers?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Ditto
How could they restrict the number of passengers?
You need a voucher to ride the train which you order in advance. So only those with a voucher can enter the station at a given time and then board the train.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
You need a voucher to ride the train which you order in advance. So only those with a voucher can enter the station at a given time and then board the train.
Do you have to order a voucher for a specific train?
I thought those vouchers are only needed for free rides?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, the free rides are by using your Rav-Kav at the kiosks in the Jerusalem station for one-way or r/t rides, starting in Jlem.

The voucher is basically like saying that the Jerusalem - airport line has reserved ticketing.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I have by now taken the train three times; speed and punctuality are great but it is one big mess. On all three rides, in different times of the day, it was packed mostly with ultra-orthodox families. I'm not sure where exactly most pax are going to but definitely not to TLV. Since there is a train every 30 minutes, and they are the double-decker type and not rather long I suspect that the free ride draws the masses (I cannot complain, I took it to Haifa and back for free).

As for the vouchers; that being Israel no one really seriously enforces that, so every one is either running for his/her life or simply hopes to be lucky, sophisticated, assertive and the like. But as I say, they don't really check it and frankly it is quite difficult as they come in different formats (an actual ticket, a SMS message, email) and no one has the time or nerves to inspect it. You can wave at them something and it will work.

The bardak is mostly when departing Jerusalem since this is the only way to ride for free and also people actually live there (whereas no one lives, naturally, in TLV). For the TLV-Jerusalem sector I paid something like 14 NIS.

So, a great service that one day will become more civilised.

Picture to follow...

They are not really inspecting the vouchers
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Ultra-orthodox schools and colleges are on vacation until tomorrow. Considering that they are usually on low incomes it is probably a fun day out for the family.
Innocent Abroad and tedcruz like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
I tried the train out yesterday and am looking forward to my ride again later. One thing which is a bit annoying, how far down one has to go actually reach the platform at the Jerusalem end. One has to take a bunch of escalators and it is quite a kerfuffle with luggage. But all in all, the train is the way forward-at the moment, as we Jews like FREE stuff!!!!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by tedcruz
One thing which is a bit annoying, how far down one has to go actually reach the platform at the Jerusalem end. One has to take a bunch of escalators and it is quite a kerfuffle with luggage.
One of the new Youtube videos mentions an elevator all the way down to the platforms.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
As predict earlier in the thread. There are endless safety issues with the train causing many delays and cancelations.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Which safety issues?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Took the train yesterday. It's weird - you go through an initial check, supposedly checking if you have a voucher, but they didn't stop everyone. Then you can "buy" a ticket, and then there's a guy checking your Ravkav against a handheld device, then security, then small escalator or quick elevator followed by the actual entrance with a ticket.

Then is when I highly recommend taking the elevator. It is looooong via escalator.

Just as we were meant to leave, they announced that there was some technical issue and we switched to the train across the platform. Left 6 minutes late but the total ride was indeed 20 minutes.

Weird that there were no English announcements (like on the TA - TLV line), and no automated announcements in the station at all.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LY777
Which safety issues?
As I mentioned, there have been endless issues, and ongoing criticisms of the transport minister for opening the line too early (took them 17 years anyway, so what's a few more months...).

Knesset panel to hold emergency discussion on high-speed train woes
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:11 am

From Ynet (in Hebrew):

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.