Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

How many here are actually regular LY travellers, and how many purely enthusiasts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many here are actually regular LY travellers, and how many purely enthusiasts?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum

I really would appreciate all the regulars here answering this, as I'm intrigued.

It certainly seems that threads about LY giving their aircrafts a retro paint job, someone holding the worlds largest LY memorabilia collection, or new aircraft (understandably) get far more responses/discussion than threads discussing issues that seriously effect the regular travellers and FF members, such as the upcoming devaluation to the club, effecting most Matmid members, especially those with status.

A smilier thread in the BA forum would have hundreds in not thousands of responses within 24 hours. I know you cannot compare the traffic (the BA forum get's tens of new threads a day posted there), but still, just 8 people have bothered to respond and discuss the changes to Matmid which considering how bad they are, is astonishing.

Based on what threads people here tend to respond to, my guess is there are far more occasional travellers here who don't really care about status, or points etc, and tend to have some emotional attachments to the airline (thus usually will avoid responding in threads that might seem to bash ElAl), than regular travellers that tend to hold status and care about it.

Am I wrong?
Houminer likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:50 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Perhaps a poll would be useful? Perhaps something like:

How often do you fly EL AL?
Less than once a year
2 or less trips per year
5 or less trips per year
10 or less trips per year
20 or less trips per year
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:04 am

My last LY flight was in 2011, and even then "by mistake" (LX codeshare), however as I do fly to TLV quite often and have many friends there, this forum is of interest to me.
If LY were a part of any alliance I would seriously have considered them for those flights, but as I'm not based in TLV, I have no use to Matmid points and will most likely never get any status with LY.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Silver
No offence but for various reasons I avoid LY That said, TLV is my home-base so I find the forum interesting and let's face it, it's not entirely LY focused (a positive thing, in my view).
shuly likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: AF Club 2000, LH Senator, LY Top Plat, HHonors Diamond
I am a very regular flyer (TP for 8 years now) and look at messages quite regularly, say every week or two. Doesn't mean I get too excited about changes since there is little that can be done to influence them. Am also in the camp of those who decided to fly ElAl no matter what, for Zionist reasons, so there is not much they can to discourage me. I'm also very very happy with the way I am treated and the soft product. Am not too demanding re hard product so quite happy there to. And, being Senator and HON Circle for 20 years, I find the competition not too exciting either (except for Swiss). All in all a happy camper that follows the forum regularly but don't find much to speak or complain about :->
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:06 am

I make 2-3 trips a year to Israel and I always fly El Al. If flying from Israel to Europe ( varies) I also fly El Al . It is a combination of Ziionist reasons ( like mbloch) and the fact I feel that they are the most secure.

I read this forum daily, and I am concerned about the new point scheme ( while I think I may end up ahead in the long run, I'm concerned about the transition year) Howver, I don't comment unless I feel my post is adding something.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:01 pm

PL for 3 years, flyLY for reasons mentioned but also feel the soft product in F is outstanding. Matmid is a pretty useless program and I find the changes more of the same. Every so often get really annoyed and will change for a short period of time but keep coming back for more. Last time what got me really ticked off - I decided to change from C to F and they charge me a $50 handling fee ( to a plat matmid paying for a ticket that couldn’t be done online!
But here I am again...
I think a lot of us are very resigned to the fact that management doesn’t really care about their customers opinions - they look at us as a captive audience and that’s why a lot of people have not responded to these changes
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
I fly lots, but avoid LY unless there is no reasonable alternative. However I follow the forums because I am based in Israel.
shuly likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I fly whoever works for me in terms of schedule and price. Sometimes it's El Al, sometimes it isn't. I just returned from Prague with UP, so El Al got my business there.

I'm based in TLV so the forum is important to me. I also hold a Fly Card Premium but never any status, but with these recent changes I think it will be cancelled and any paid flights will be credited to Qantas. Most of my spend is now on U.S. cards anyhow that also earn me transferrable points that convert to Qantas, among others.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Pihawkins
PL for 3 years, flyLY for reasons mentioned but also feel the soft product in F is outstanding. Matmid is a pretty useless program and I find the changes more of the same. Every so often get really annoyed and will change for a short period of time but keep coming back for more. Last time what got me really ticked off - I decided to change from C to F and they charge me a $50 handling fee ( to a plat matmid paying for a ticket that couldn’t be done online!
But here I am again...
I think a lot of us are very resigned to the fact that management doesn’t really care about their customers opinions - they look at us as a captive audience and that’s why a lot of people have not responded to these changes
But why? Why give them your business? You have other better options, that's what I don't understand. I don't really buy the Zionistic reasons given by some here, as they really are irrelevant now the company is privately owned, and run by a bunch of people doing a terrible job of it.

I truly miss the ElAl of old, The days when Gold was top tier, we were treated incredibly well, and upgrade policies were extremely generous.
Matmid has got worst and worse and has nothing to offer (except the occasional good business class deal when they run a promotion), no option to spend with other airlines as they don't belong to an alliance, points expire after 3 years, accumulation ratio is horrendous and about to get worse, and other than the mentioned offers here and there, actual redemption costs (points wise) are sky high.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
From 2000 to 2012, I used to fly 3 times per year from Paris to TLV, exclusively on LY.
Since 2012, I only go once a year to Israel, and the last time I flew LY was in 2015.
Why did I fly LY less often? Because I was tired of the antiquated cabins (especially the 767s). I was tired of paying extra to get old cabins.
But now that LY has 787s, I will reconsider my position
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
What better option do you have from Paris to TLV?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:41 pm

I presume the question is how many options do you have other than EL Al from Paris to Tel Aviv.
Well depending on the day of the week that you want to fly you can choose from any of 6 other options.
Air France,XL Airways,Transavia,PRIMERA,Easyjet and ASL all fly the route.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Elal is my preferred carrier, unfortunately the competition gets 80% of my monthly Israel flights due to status on other alliances.

If only ELAL could join star alliance!
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, ELAL Platinum, VS Gold
I fly over 25 times a year and am based in Israel. I used to fly exclusively BA then switched to LY when BA changed terminals in LHR. Wasnt' much of a challenge as ElAl matched my status with BA. I'm now at the end of my tether with LY and so will be switching back in 2019 - unfortunately BA won't status match so will have to start from the bottom again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.