Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

How many here are actually regular LY travellers, and how many purely enthusiasts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many here are actually regular LY travellers, and how many purely enthusiasts?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by LY777
Are LY 787s worse than other airlines’ 787s in Y?
Probably not. BA's and AC's for example are pretty dire too. Although on BA at least, if you are gold, there are a few decent seats with extra legroom to be had, but the width on this aircraft is the issue.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
As I am only 1.68 m and very slim, this is not an issue for me
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:56 pm

I don't post very frequently in this forum, but I read most threads.

The reason that I'm here is that Israel is one of my main destinations for international travel, but I usually fly with Star Alliance. I live in Sweden, so LY is not really an option for me. I haven't actually flown LY since 2002, when I lived in Moscow, and El Al and Transaero were the only airlines with direct flights. But there's a lot of informarion in this forum that benefits me on flights to TLV (or even VDA, I was there in March).
tedcruz likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AF Club 2000, LH Senator, LY Top Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by clubman
But why? Why give them your business? You have other better options, that's what I don't understand. I don't really buy the Zionistic reasons given by some here, as they really are irrelevant now the company is privately owned, and run by a bunch of people doing a terrible job of it.

I truly miss the ElAl of old, The days when Gold was top tier, we were treated incredibly well, and upgrade policies were extremely generous.
Matmid has got worst and worse and has nothing to offer (except the occasional good business class deal when they run a promotion), no option to spend with other airlines as they don't belong to an alliance, points expire after 3 years, accumulation ratio is horrendous and about to get worse, and other than the mentioned offers here and there, actual redemption costs (points wise) are sky high.
To explain my position: as a TP, I get treated extraordinarily well (and I compare with other status I have: AF Flying Blue for Life, BA Gold, LX/LH HON Circle which I had for a few years). The TP team is fantastic, I get upgraded regularly (from C to F), award availability is great, reservation guarantee works every time, they have real C to Europe (only beaten up by LX - which I love - and BA which I don't fly much with). I find the soft product to be wonderful. Kosher food is important to me, and the idea of my money going to Israelis matters a lot to me.

Only thing LX/LH has on them from my perspective is the ground service in the HON Circle lounges in FRA/ZRH/NY and the car plane to plane transfer.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by mbloch
To explain my position: as a TP, I get treated extraordinarily well...
I share most of your thoughts.. I've also been a TP for many years and I find that LY treats me very well.

What bothers me the most is the lack of partnerships with other alliances, especially when it comes to redeeming bonus points.
Also the upcoming change to revenue-based model will make it much harder to me to maintain status; and I doubt I will stay with LY if I can't renew TP status.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Flew much LY when company policy to do so (2008).
​​​​​​
Haven't done so since then. Alliances / ff program / cost.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by mbloch
To explain my position: as a TP, I get treated extraordinarily well (and I compare with other status I have: AF Flying Blue for Life, BA Gold, LX/LH HON Circle which I had for a few years). The TP team is fantastic, I get upgraded regularly (from C to F), award availability is great, reservation guarantee works every time, they have real C to Europe (only beaten up by LX - which I love - and BA which I don't fly much with). I find the soft product to be wonderful. Kosher food is important to me, and the idea of my money going to Israelis matters a lot to me
I can understand the treatment as TP which I'm sure is excellent. And it should be considering how hard it is to actually reach and maintain it. I used to be treated amazingly well in the days when GL was top tier at LY, but those days are long gone...
I find the benefits of of BA GGL which is their equivalent of LY's TP (although easier to maintain) far more beneficial.
I also get the Kosher food thing because you are always going to have more choices with LY. Money going to Israelis, well while I feel the same way on many levels, I have to be honest, considering who owns the airline that would not be a consideration to me.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:09 pm

I used to be GL in the 2000s. I now only fly LY once-twice a year ( out of 30-40 flights a year). I try to avoid them as I find the service hit and run, inconsistent , and the Matmid does not serve my needs, which are better answered by Avios and MM.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Originally Posted by BATLV
I used to be GL in the 2000s. I now only fly LY once-twice a year ( out of 30-40 flights a year). I try to avoid them as I find the service hit and run, inconsistent , and the Matmid does not serve my needs, which are better answered by Avios and MM.
Totally agree with the hit and run with regard to service on LY. I n fact I had terrible service on LY318 in F from LHR-TLV last night. Hopefully the service in C from TLV-LHR will be bettar.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by tedcruz
I had terrible service on LY318 in F from LHR-TLV last night.
What happened?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Originally Posted by Fly613
What happened?
To start the menu and the food on board were out of sync. The crew seemed to be more focused on those in C rather than those in F, sort of telling us to sleep.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Looking at a new job that requires travel exclusively in LY C (except for the rare occasion that LY is not an option, mostly on intra-European flights). That being said, the vast majority of flights will be 737s to Europe. Also automatically granted TP status to begin (company has a huge contract with LY), and likely would anyways qualify based on flying. This would be a huge change in my flying patterns and will be interesting to see how things change if I end up with this new job.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

How often would you be traveling Josh? Compt TP is a hell of a benefit.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by clubman
How often would you be traveling Josh? Compt TP is a hell of a benefit.
2x/month, Europe, paid C. Not sure whether it's 150 points or 200 points each way (I believe it's actually top fare classes with corporate booking), but even at 150 points, that's 300 points per r/t, 600/month, and in 12 months is 7200. (Need 7K now, 6,500 as of next year)
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A lot of travel!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.