Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

First Time Connecting to LY - Luggage Checked Through?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

Incredibly enough, this is my first time ever connecting to LY from another carrier (single ticket). I assume my luggage will be checked through but wanted to confirm?

Do I just approach security at the gate as if I was departing with only hand luggage?
Old May 1, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Incredibly enough, this is my first time ever connecting to LY from another carrier (single ticket). I assume my luggage will be checked through but wanted to confirm?
Yes.

Do I just approach security at the gate as if I was departing with only hand luggage?
Which route are you talking about?
Old May 1, 2018, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerby
Which route are you talking about?
Specifically CPT-JNB-TLV, but is it different depending on route?
Old May 1, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Depending on the airport, there may be security personnel at the transfer desk with the LY representatives starting from 3 hours before departure.
However there should always be some security personnel at the gate when it opens.
Old May 1, 2018, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Gotcha - so in my case, assuming no transfer desk as it's a domestic connection, so will head to the gate. Anyways arriving within 3 hours of the flight
Old May 1, 2018, 2:07 pm

I flew JNB-ZRH-TLV (on Swiss) 10 years ago. The TLV leg was a code-share flight operated by LY. My luggage was checked through and I got both BPs at JNB. I went through El Al security at ZRH with my carry-on only. None of the security questions was about the checked luggage. I assume it should be similar on your itinerary.​​​​​​

Edited to add: they had security at the gate for those who never went landside.

Last edited by FlyerTLV; May 1, 2018 at 10:55 pm
Old May 2, 2018, 11:01 am

You'd have to change terminals in JNB, and re-clear security (and immigration of course), so there isn't any difference between connecting passengers and passengers flying HBO.
When you head from the domestic to the Int'l terminal, you'll notice signs to security/gates, you should use these ones and not continue to the check-in desks.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So in the end, everyone claimed in Cape Town that there's no way we could check our bags all the way through and we'd have to re-claim. Nonetheless, at check-in, we were asked if we wanted to short-check to JNB or check through to TLV. We checked through and went to the BA baggage desk in JNB to confirm the bags were sent to LY. She said yes.

Went to the gate directly and was required to print a new BP (apparently mobile BP and printed at home BP weren't good enough). At the security interview, they photographed the bag tag.

Nonetheless, my colleague's bag made it while mine didn't.

Recommendation for the future is to wrap your bag in CPT and short-check to JNB, unwrap and head to LY check-in and then re-check the bags (they then wrap for free). Helps ensure the bags made it, ensures you have the proper BP for boarding, and simplifies the security process.
Old May 30, 2018, 7:54 am

Recommendation for the future is to wrap your bag in CPT and short-check to JNB, unwrap and head to LY check-in and then re-check the bags (they then wrap for free). Helps ensure the bags made it, ensures you have the proper BP for boarding, and simplifies the security process.
Why would you want to wrap/unwrap etc.?
I agree if you have enough time and not bothered carrying your bag you can short-check it, but in most cases it's not really needed and your bag will make it.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
Why would you want to wrap/unwrap etc.?
I agree if you have enough time and not bothered carrying your bag you can short-check it, but in most cases it's not really needed and your bag will make it.
Wrap because of the issues in general in SA with baggage. Unwrap because LY doesn't allow you to arrive at check-in with a wrapped bag in JNB.

Got the bag delivered this evening. Broken

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.